Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Stillers let down record road (home) crowd

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Practice Squad

Stillers let down record road (home) crowd

Postby PalmerSucks » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:56 am

Stillers let down record road (home) crowd has been posted by Palmer Sucks at Stillers.com.

Grizzled Veteran

Re: Stillers let down record road (home) crowd

Postby LenSherwood » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:24 pm

PalmerSuck-- As you have pointed out over well about the last four seasons or so, the defense is no longer going to win games. It hasn't been elite for some time, probably dating back to the loss to the Packers in the Super Bowl. And it all falls on Roethelisburger as you have also maintained over this time period. I am too lazy to check this out for fact, but I am guessing in those bottom feeder losses, Big Ben SUCKED ASS...I would bet his QB rating was horrible and some of those games were incredible--they managed to lose with the other team barely scoring while Ben turned the ball over. That might explain it. Thanks for taking a shot at the question!

Practice Squad

Postby PalmerSucks » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:45 pm

I'm inclined to agree with you Len, Roethlisberger has failed to live up to his own standard in many of the losses to sub-.500 teams. I pointed out his goofs and gaffes last Sunday, and how they contributed to losing this one.

But what does this tell us? Basically, the team rises and falls with his performances. And NOT the defense's. When Ben flops, so do the Stillers, even against the "bottom feeders." Now, a good part of the blame falls to him, but not all of it; as I mentioned, it's the play-calling too, which, too often, goes against his skill set. Bottom line: the Stillers need to "let Ben be Ben" in order to have the best shot to win. And in some cases, their ONLY chance to win. Because, again, they don't have the defense to simply line up and beat anyone. The problem is, I don't think the team recognizes this reality, and gameplan the way they should. (Which is part of this whole ridiculous "Stillers football" thing I've harped on so much.) So they're susceptible to losing to anyone, even the Tampa Bays and NY Jets of the league.

It's really that simple.

Hope this helps answer your question.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:51 am

I agree with you both. The Stillers go as Ben goes, or as Haley goes when you look at last Sunday. Ben sucked monkey balls but Haley held the leash.

After much thought this weekend, I've settled back to my original stance on the Steelers. Before the season started, I had it set in my mind that this was a rebuilding year while so many new faces got adjusted. The fact that we're over .500 will have to be good enough for me for now which should make watching the game a lot less irritating. Any success from here on out is just a bonus.

I will give the organization some credit for making the defense younger and thought they would improve as the season went on. The play of Queertez and a couple key injuries have limited their growth and made them look bad as a whole. It should be interesting to see how much they improve as the season rolls along.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby fred » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:34 pm

If the D could stop them. Ben like a baseball pitcher does not throw no hitters every game. Championship teams are not the ones that outscore their opponents unless your named Montana or Rice. Point is our D MUST win some games. One could argue that they did with the TOs against the Texans and the sacks on FlakO. Did not happen with the Jets.
Ryann came up with a D that was disguised very well. It is why the O gets better as the season progresses. Ben and Haley first had to figure out what Ryann was doing and then try to attack. If the game had been 65 minutes, IMO, the Steelers O would have provided victory. If, looking forward, Ben and Haley see this type of gambling in your face D they will better know how to attack.
Archer is the type of player that can make Rex Ryann pay for his risk taking.
The play that the Jets picked that was intended for Bryant was the 3rd time Ben has run that. Haley DOES have the problem of going to the well once too often. Bell's run against Tampa Bay is another example. There was a pick almost 6 against Ben last year where the substitute cover guy said he recognized what Haley would go to.

Return to Stillers Talk