Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Stillers-Jest Postgame Analysis and Grades

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Stillers.com Team

Stillers-Jest Postgame Analysis and Grades

Postby StillMill » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:46 am

Stillers-Jest Postgame Analysis and Grades has been posted by Still Mill at Stillers.com.

Grizzled Veteran

Re: Stillers-Jest Postgame Analysis and Grades

Postby Steelerssix » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:35 am

We all knew this would be a furious analysis Mill and spot on, not to mention a nice early read for those who are at it already this morning. I like others did mention we were wary of the let down and also how this is when coaching becomes more important. As I fume every time we see a dozen useless screen passes for no gain I did get a good laugh about the screen doors on a submarine. I think it was isfry in the game thread that correctly was astonished that Heyward-Bey was playing and he didn't disappoint as you point out. You mention intensity and coaching weaknesses and I couldn't agree more. I am a Crimson Tide fan and no matter what people think of Saban he is not afraid to give players crap for bonehead sophomoric plays. Perhaps this is why I never give up on Bama even when it looks bleak. Sure wish we could see that intensity from Steeler coaches when it is warranted. Now we have the Titans who were shellacked by the Poes and here in Poeland all is well again and the beat down forgotten. BTW thanks Mill for the heads-up on wiziwig. I was able to watch the game (for some reason) since locally I had to suffer with Super Joe.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Coke Oven » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:54 am

If you didn’t know any better, Ben already looked like he was throwing the game as a favor for a Vegas gambler.

Ding ding ding. Not Ben, the Rooneys. From the Rooneys to Tomlin to LeBlow and Haley.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelerssix » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:05 am

CBS apologizes to Harbawl for airing the following comments after they beat the Titans:

Baltimore Ravens head coach John Harbaugh told his players after Sunday's victory against the Tennessee Titans that they fought hard after losing the previous week against the Pittsburgh Steelers.

The Steelers lost Sunday at the New York Jets. Quite big, it turns out.

Harbaugh's comments were edgy and heated, but hardly controversial.

"The team that beat us last week, they went out and got their ass kicked this week," Harbaugh said.

Harbaugh's quip was shown on CBS. A camera was pointed right in Harbaugh's face, point blank, when he said it.

In an email to the Associated Press, a CBS spokesperson apologized for the airing of the clip, writing, "We broadcast a clip during our postgame show that should not have aired. We immediately pulled it down and called the Baltimore Ravens to apologize.''

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Pommah » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:05 am

Coke Oven wrote:
If you didn’t know any better, Ben already looked like he was throwing the game as a favor for a Vegas gambler.

Ding ding ding. Not Ben, the Rooneys. From the Rooneys to Tomlin to LeBlow and Haley.

This happens a bit too much to be random, no? The Rooneys have been gamblers since day 1. My grandfather swore Art Rooney won the rights to the Pittsburgh NFL franchise in a poker game. Think about it - win just enough games to develop a rabid fan base, then throw enough games to also make a killing on the line. Maximized profits.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelerssix » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:44 am

James Harrison- used as a FB on 1st & G 4Q, and then was stunningly thrown a pass that fell inc. This play typifies today’s game, where you have a perfectly capable FB who cutely gets replaced by an aging OLB who has never, ever played a snap in this offense. - See more at: http://stillers.com/Article/View/e10ad5 ... Ih3pl.dpuf

Tomlin post-game comment:
Q. Was James Harrison being involved in the offense something you planned on all week?
A. For several weeks. It’s something that we work on. It’s an element of our football.

Lost amid all the slop n’ slather, is the fact that Dumbin actually deferred and chose to kickoff to start the game. Why in the fuck ??? This Softee Defense has continually allowed game-opening marches for SCORES. And your offense is coming off two 6-TD games and is frothing at the mouth to get onto the field. But no, Dumblin makes a moronic, chickenshit decision, which then completely backfires as the Stiller offense had to stand around for literally well over 45 minutes doing nothing at all before they got their first possession. Stone stupid, by a man who is dumber than a box of rocks. - See more at: http://stillers.com/Article/View/e10ad5 ... Ih3pl.dpuf

Tomlin post-game comment:
Q. You deferred the kickoff to the second half. Why?
A. I’ll leave that decision making to us. It’s a decision that needs to be made on a week-in and week-out basis. That’s the decision that we came to today.

Practice Squad

Postby PDXSTEELER » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:58 pm

Spot on as usual Mill, this team and its incompetent coaching staff are an embarrassment.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby LenSherwood » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:42 pm

Maybe the Steelers fired the wrong coach. Perhaps it was Arians who should have stayed and now Tomlin could be in Arizona. You think Tomlin could have a franchise like that at 8 and 1? Palmer Sucks... he is using your namesake to win.

Does 10 and 6 make the playoffs this year? In the best case scenario barring any of their usual collapses to shit teams, you figure they split with the bungholes and probably lose to KC. And being generous, hopeful and naive, they win the rest. It is a mistake to project records for this team though... have seen what comes of that over and over. But are Steeler fans jerking themselves off to even contemplate the playoffs? To what end? It will fuck up their draft position and this team is still sketchy personnel wise. Colbert and Tomlin have proven over and over that they cannot find talent later in the drafts. So to squeak into the playoffs and lose in the first round... what would that do?

Seasoned Veteran

Postby fred » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:44 pm

Heywart Bay cost us the game. The offsides and the drop were critical.
Rex Ryan came out with a defensive game plan that Munchak, Haley and the O did not get a grip on until midway through the 3rd. It looked like they were bulldogging one lineman, ie two men on Beachum bulldogging him back. They weren't trying to beat him, they were pushing him back to disrupt.
You pointed out how much time Vick had, in particular the 2 td tosses. WTF. Why not give McKullers a shot like the O did Bryant, the game is won on the LoS.
Truthfully, if the game had been 5 quarters we would have beaten them by 14, Tomlin's teams start out too slowly.
The O was flying high from the last 3 games, the Jets pressure forced Ben to make quicker decisions than he wanted while their secondary played very tight. Not rush blitzes, but pass blitzing. If their gambling isn't successful it leaves the long play open. That is how you make them pay. We didn't get it down until it was too late. Truly think it was a learning experience for O line, Jets D line played better than they have all year.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:38 pm

I came to a realization yesterday. Win or lose, watching Steeler games usually results in 3 hours of frustration for the past 5 years. With that said, why isn't it frustrating for me to watch the pens even when they lose? Is it because the NHL as a whole and all of their rule changes make sense whereas the rule changes in the NFL are getting ridiculous? Every time Manning loses in the Superbowl, they make a bunch of rule changes to handcuff the defense. I'm starting to share in some of your opinions that the fix is in full effect in the NFL. I'm running out of explanations as to why these games vs inferior opponents always seem to go this way. I'm not normally a guy that hangs Steeler paraphanalia around the house, but I had put a flag I received as a gift in place of my American flag outside. My neighbor took a picture of it and texted it to Keisel. (he is Brett's best friend from college) Well, that flag came down yesterday and will never go back up. Nobody in this tainted league deserves a flag, especially in place of old glory.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Sun and Steel » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:22 pm

From CBS Sports:

The inglorious, embarrassing truth:

2009, Week 11: 6-3 Steelers lose to 2-7 Chiefs, 27-24. Line: Steelers -11.5
2009, Week 13: 6-5 Steelers lose to 3-8 Raiders, 27-24. Line: Steelers -15.0
2009, Week 14: 6-6 Steelers lose to 1-11 Browns, 13-6. Line: Steelers -10.0
2012, Week 3: 1-1 Steelers lose to 0-2 Raiders, 34-31. Line: Steelers -4.0
2012, Week 6: 2-2 Steelers lose to 1-4 Titans, 26-23. Line: Steelers -6.5
2012, Week 12: 6-4 Steelers lose to 2-8 Browns, 20-14. Line: Steelers -2.0
2012, Week 14: 7-4 Steelers lose to 4-8 Chargers, 34-24. Line: Steelers -7.5
2013, Week 4: 0-3 Steelers lose to 0-3 Vikings, 34-27. Line: Steelers -3.0
2013, Week 8: 2-4 Steelers lose to 2-4 Raiders, 21-18. Line: Steelers -2.5
2014, Week 4: 2-1 Steelers lose to 0-3 Buccaneers, 27-24. Line: Steelers -7.5
2014, Week 10: 6-3 Steelers lose to 1-8 Jets, 20-13. Line: Steelers -4.0

That's 11 losses over four seasons to teams with a combined record of 16-66, which works out to a mind-numbing winning percentage of .195. The Steelers, meanwhile, were 44-36, a winning percentage of .550. The Steelers were also favored in every game. It is hard enough to beat teams of quality on the road to the playoffs, but losing to Pop Warner teams make the road impossible. Oh, and the year that is absent from these gut rotting stats, 2010-11? They lost to the Packers in the SB. Next year they were back on the lose to the losers wagon again and got Tebowed in the playoffs with basically the same group of players.

This is the smoking gun, Mikey Tomlin. The team is consistent in one thing: being flat against teams that are inferior.

This coming from Gerry Dulac:
"Can't beat bad teams? Since 2013, Peyton Manning and Broncos are 6-0 vs teams w win pct of .333 or less. Out scored them 215-101."

This makes it easier than ever to argue that it is clearly time to hit the reset button on the coaching staff.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Pommah » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:42 pm

Nice analysis, Sun and Steel.

And pretty damning.

Practice Squad

Postby Ron Burgundy » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:54 pm

Steelerssix wrote:Harbaugh's comments were edgy and heated, but hardly controversial.

"The team that beat us last week, they went out and got their ass kicked this week," Harbaugh said.

Harbaugh's quip was shown on CBS. A camera was pointed right in Harbaugh's face, point blank, when he said it.

In an email to the Associated Press, a CBS spokesperson apologized for the airing of the clip, writing, "We broadcast a clip during our postgame show that should not have aired. We immediately pulled it down and called the Baltimore Ravens to apologize.''

If you don't want people to talk smack on you then don't lose to inferior teams. Regularly.
Yeah it's me. I'm back. 8-)

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelerssix » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:50 pm

Sorry you misunderstood my reason for posting anchorman. Didn't care about the comment just the whining by Harbawl, and the Poes resulting in an apology. Not sure if Harbawl is trying to maintain his image or is afraid to provide locker room bulletin board material for the next beat down to be administered by the Steelers.

Practice Squad

Postby Ron Burgundy » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:11 pm

Steelerssix wrote:Sorry you misunderstood my reason for posting anchorman. Didn't care about the comment just the whining by Harbawl, and the Poes resulting in an apology. Not sure if Harbawl is trying to maintain his image or is afraid to provide locker room bulletin board material for the next beat down to be administered by the Steelers.

Nah, I just meant that when the Steelers play like crap they deserve what criticism comes their way. I do think that Hairball was afraid to give bulletin board material and own it though.

Return to Stillers Talk