Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Can a brother get some love for his Bryant pick?

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Practice Squad

Can a brother get some love for his Bryant pick?

Postby PalmerSucks » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:38 am

Can a brother get some love for his Bryant pick? has been posted by Palmer Sucks at Stillers.com.

Grizzled Veteran

Re: Can a brother get some love for his Bryant pick?

Postby SoCal Stiller » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:08 am

I hope your arm is not too sore from patting yourself on the back. ;)

As I said before, it's no coincidence that the stiller's offensive explosion started when Martavis finally saw the field. I posted earlier this week that we may have the better Clemson receiver. I think we all still remember what Randy Moss did for the Pats offense for a couple of years. Ben has long been capable of running this type of peyton-esque offense for years, but was never afforded the opportunity (or the offensive line). I thought the O-line played pretty well considering how well the Ravens front seven came in playing. I'm still pissed that Adams is not starting over Gilbert. I went back and re-watched Adams play specifically and he looked like a different player. (Remember, he was stabbed prior to last season and it's effects probably lingered on longer than anyone would care to admit.) Then, I watched Gilbert again and he was getting schooled every other play.

It seems the defense is progressing as many new faces get adjusted. Under the current CBA, new players are less prepared in the offeseason, so it stands to reason that these guys should improve as the weeks roll on. How much bashing has Gay taken here on this site, yet he has clearly become our best corner. Couldn't happen to a better guy.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Pommah » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:08 pm

We love you, man.

Feel better?

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:35 pm

Good call, palmer. I actually remember reading that post by you back in draft time and thinking, hmm, Ben has been clamoring for a tall, rangy WR since Plex left, and our red zone O has been lamentable the last couple of years. So glad to see Bryant getting some PT and making some noise. As to Pinkie Wheaton picking up his game, I think that is as much a result of getting covered by the third DB as it is about competition driving him. Let's face it, with AB getting doubled and Bryant taking the top off the D, Wheaton is gonna find a lot more open areas. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with his increased level of production the last three weeks or so, after he seemed to drop off after the first couple games of the season. I'm just not sure he is a contributing cause of our recent prosperity as much as a result.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:51 pm

In addition, you say, "A Bungals win over Cleveland is key, with two games against Cincy coming up for the Stillers."

I beg to differ. I am actually rooting for the brownies this Thursday for a few reasons. One, the simple math means Pitt's in first after a Cincy loss and a Pitt win. We can worry about the head to heads with Cincy when they come. Second, Cincy is already 2-0 in the division, while CLE is 1-2. In the long run, the tiebreak may come down to division record and I half expect to split the two with Cincy, home and away. Three (and maybe this should be #1) I don't expect the clowns to go anywhere, so their victory helps us more than it helps them.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby fred » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:09 pm

Martavis tipping the red zone scales for the O, could be realized with McKullers replacing Cam and tipping the scales for the D. All Steeler fans should keep Brady and Manning in their minds. Why? Not because of Bens comparable numbers, but because both QBs have been embarrassed in the SB. Twice. The D needs to get better. If not, and we get to the big dance, Ben could join those other 2 dopes.
Glad to see you not following the talking heads with your Bryant observations. Should start giving Haley some real credit. While LeBeau has been getting the number 1s, Haley has chosen Bells and Bryants. Those 2 both have great potential to be real superstars. Haley is doing a slow motion repeat of his dad's 1974.

Practice Squad

Postby PalmerSucks » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:18 pm

isfry wrote:I beg to differ. I am actually rooting for the brownies this Thursday for a few reasons. One, the simple math means Pitt's in first after a Cincy loss and a Pitt win. We can worry about the head to heads with Cincy when they come. Second, Cincy is already 2-0 in the division, while CLE is 1-2. In the long run, the tiebreak may come down to division record and I half expect to split the two with Cincy, home and away. Three (and maybe this should be #1) I don't expect the clowns to go anywhere, so their victory helps us more than it helps them.

Ultimately you may be right, and I certainly get your line of thinking.

However, here's how I see it. The Stillers have already finished with the Brownies, and though they split, Cleveland wins any tiebreaker on point differential (the same reason the Stillers went for that last TD against the Ravens Sunday Night). That makes them a threat should both teams finish tied at the end of the year.

There's nothing more to be done vs. Cleveland (and Baltimore for that matter) except to hope they lose as many games from now on. As the Stillers own the tiebreaker vs. Baltimore, they'd want Cleveland to lose even more. Regardless, the story has been written with these two teams already.

On the other hand, the Stillers get to write their own ticket against Cincy. Ideally you'd want Cleveland out of the way, and then have the chance to take care of the Bungals yourself. Make sense? A loss Thursday by Cleveland goes a long way towards doing that.

Bottom line: you can't control what happens with Cleveland from now on. You CAN totally control what happens with Cincy.

That's just how I see it right now.

Best Regards,
PS

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:22 am

I totally see your logic, Palmer, and it has merit. Maybe we should just win out and go 13-3 to ensure we win the North.

:subngtowl:

Practice Squad

Postby Denimcurtain » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:36 pm

Really like your posts in PalmerSucks. Great call on Bryant. I thought he wouldn't contribute beyond redzone snaps till year two to be honest. I will take you up on your challenge though:
http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... in/5467977

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:39 am

After the ass whooping the Clowns laid on the Bungles last night our discussion is somewhat academic, Palmer. That having been said, I still feel like we sit pretty comfortably against the Brownies. As I have said elsewhere, if we take care of the JEST and Titties, we go into the bye 8-3. Even a split with cincy, and losing to either NO or KC with a win over ATL and we are 11-5. 12-4 is a distinct possibility.

The Brownies, on the other hand, will likely beat the Texans and Bungles in CLE. Outside of that they have Indy, who will probably take care of business. That's 8-4. The Clowns' remaining 4 games are on the road against ATL, BUF, CAR, and the Ratbirds. My guess is they split that fourpack and end up 10-6.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:00 pm

Furthermore, the NFL has the Steelers currently listed at 1st place in the division at 6-3 and the projected third seed in the AFC, with the Browns in 2nd at 6-3 and the projected 5th seed. I don't understand all of the tiebreaker factors involved, but it appears we own the tiebreaker against them at least at present? Maybe that's just cuz we are 2-2 in the division and they are 1-2?

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:03 pm

TO BREAK A TIE WITHIN A DIVISION

If, at the end of the regular season, two or more clubs in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined.

Two Clubs
1.Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).
2.Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
3.Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
4.Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
5.Strength of victory.
6.Strength of schedule.
7.Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
8.Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
9.Best net points in common games.
10.Best net points in all games.
11.Best net touchdowns in all games.
12.Coin toss

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:17 pm

I'm curious to know how far they have ever gotten down that tiebreaker list. It seems very improbable that you even make it to #6 or #7.

Practice Squad

Postby Denimcurtain » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:19 pm

Apparently Dallas-Philly went down to the 10th tie breaker in 1980

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelers76 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:07 am

When The Steelers drafted this past May, as I posted on here at the time, Bryant was the only one I was really high on.

Turns out there was good reason for that.... :subngtowl:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby LenSherwood » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:41 pm

Well... the math of the playoffs gets a lot simpler. If you can't beat a bottom fucking feeder like the Jets, you don't have to worry about point differentials and tie breakers.

Return to Stillers Talk