Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Proof that ESPN's QBR is Bullshit

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Grizzled Veteran

Proof that ESPN's QBR is Bullshit

Postby Pump-N-Iron » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:47 pm

OK, so a few years back, ESPN invented their own QB rating system, and, for lack of any creativity, dubbed it QBR. I know that it is supposed to measure not only the stats, but the circumstances around the stats... modified by a "clutch" factor. However, I noticed they kept a chart for the top 10 single game QBR performances of the season thus far. Thus, I submit exhibit A:

So BR7's big game against Indy is only worthy of the 7th spot in this season's Best QB performances? Really? I had to look at the game stats to believe this....

Joe Average vs TB - 21 of 29, 5 TDs, no INTs, no sacks. A really good game, but better than 40 of 49 for 522 and 6 TDs... not on your life. NEXT!
Matt Ryan vs TB - Again, TB, I'm sensing a theme. Matty Ice went 21 of 24 for a paultry 286 and 3 TDs, no INTs and 1 sack. Again, nothing more spectacular than BR7.
Manning the Elder Whiner vs SF - 22 of 26 for 318 and 4 TDs. No INTs, and 2 sacks. Yeah... not as incredible as the media would lead you to believe.
Locker vs The Brownies - Locker comes in for an injured Whitehurst and goes... wait for this... 8 of 11 for 79 with 1 TD, no INT, and 1 sack. By ESPN's QBR.. THAT miserable stat line was better than Ben... WTF????
Finally, ROMO vs St Louis - A laughable 18 of 23 for 217 with 2 TDs, 1 INT, and no sacks. How in the name of all that is Holy does any Rating system rank this stat line above BR7?

In conclusion, ESPN's QBR is worth about as much as Jermaine Stephens after a Jamaican vacation.

Grizzled Veteran

Re: Proof that ESPN's QBR is Bullshit

Postby Steelerssix » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:00 pm

Not only that but the all-time best game since they started this in 2006 has Charlie Batch 1st and Carson Palmer 2nd. Ben's performance against the Dolts comes in at #27 on that particular list. If I had the time or the inclination I would like to research deeper to understand the formulas. There is a detailed explanation for the acronyms, but probably as easy to understand as the formula for dishing out fines in the NFL. As astute as Mill is he probably already understands this mess.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:40 pm

Well, you guys are clearly discounting the OJS stat that ESPN uses to calculate their total. At the end of the analysis, that's the one that pushes these QB's over the top.

"OJS" = "Overall Jerseys Sold"

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelerssix » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:29 pm

Now that is funny. Guess that explains why I didn't see Mark Malone on the list.

Return to Stillers Talk