Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Stillers-PoeBirds Postgame Analysis and Grades

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Stillers.com Team

Stillers-PoeBirds Postgame Analysis and Grades

Postby StillMill » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:39 am

Stillers-PoeBirds Postgame Analysis and Grades has been posted by Still Mill at Stillers.com.

Grizzled Veteran

Re: Stillers-PoeBirds Postgame Analysis and Grades

Postby Pommah » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:04 am

Thanks for the writeup Mill. The low grades on the O-line is a reminder the team is still not where they need to be, we did not have a running game to speak of, and the ratbirds were missing their best d-back. Can we keep winning games on just Ben's arm? Such luxuries may not exist at key games later in the season.

And the F- on the return teams is a key observation. We have sucked at special teams for years! This is the kind of thing that bites you in the ass come playoff time - and we are on a playoff-bound pace.

Is Will.i.am. Gay quietly becoming a solid D-back? Looking that way.

You heard it here (Stillers.com) first - Bryant is the next John Stallworth if he can keep maturing and keep his head on straight. This kid has size, speed, ball instinct, and is showing real technique. Watched him pluck the ball out of tight double coverage by extending his arms past the DB's reach - we haven't had a guy who could do this in years. With the way AB is playing, and the way Wheaton seems to be stepping up due to competition, are we entering a new era? Knock on wood, maybe yes.

What a joy to see Harrison playing like a maniac against the ratbirds. The deciding difference on D - take him away from last night's game, what do we have? Let's hope he can keep up that level of play and not get hurt.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelerssix » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:49 am

Good analysis Mill. Coming from the land of the Ravens it was gratifying to see this beat down administered by the Stillers. Not looking for anyone to get injured, but I liked that McClendon shot to Flacco, which I believe had him nervous the rest of the way only helping our mediocre secondary. Agree they cannot afford lousy special teams play and now desperate for a ground game. Never thought we would hear the phrase "playoff run" for this team this year, however, hopefully they do not play "down" to the level of their next 2 opponents (Jets, Titans) and they need to stay aggressive with 2 of the 4 final games against the Bungles.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby LenSherwood » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:34 pm

Excellent observations Pommah... the O line is still a problem. Beacham looked terrible--the coaching staff did a good job to adjust to make sure he wasnt alone. He got manhandled all day. A true left tackle has to be on the acquisition list for next year. I will add another concern-- James Harrison is better than any kid, especially Jarvis Jones and his days are numbered. Jones just cannot do what Harrison does at the point of attack--look at that stunt where Harrison got knicked... he blew up the hole to stop the first down.

Finally, I got incensed over the shot to Big Ben's head... this happens all the time by the Shitbirds. At least the refs caught this one unlike the shot that broke his nose a few years ago. But this is not an accident--they go after him Buddy Ryan bounty style. So if Joe Jacco gets laid out... well Shirtbirds... pay back...and I give LeBeau credit for sending pressure to do that.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:19 pm

Nice write up, Mill. The only thing I disagree with is that I thought Flak-O's pass to Worilds was more O'Donnell-esgue.

I posted elsewhere before this game the four keys to victory as I saw them:

1) Protect Ben. Whether this happens because of play calling (screens, draws, quick drops and dumpoffs, etc.) or by protection from the O-line and help from RB's and TE's, this is priority #1 on offense. They did a great job of this last week (masterful, even) but, as Mill pointed out elsewhere, Baltimore game plans better for Ben.

CHECK. (after the first 20 minutes, at least.)

2) Don't commit stupid penalties, especially those that bail Flacco out on his deep up-for-grabs lobs that generate 80-100 yards per game of "offense" through PI flags for Baltimore. (Yes, I'm talking to you, Cortez.)

CHECK. (I agree the call on Blake was late and ticky-tack.)

3) Put at least as much pressure on Flacco as we did on Luck last week. We all know Flacco can throw the ball a long ways. We also know that he can be exposed as average when he has to make split-second decisions. Traffic and pressure around him ensure two things; no time to throw the deep prayer lob (see #2) and the greater likelihood of bone-headed picks thrown to our D.

CHECK.

4) Win the turnover battle, ideally by not turning the ball over ourselves AT ALL. (Yes, this means that Heyward-Bey should not dress.)

CHECK. (although I did see Hey-where'd-the-ball-go Bey on the on-sides coverage because he is still on the "hands" team for some inexplicable reason. If you noticed, after the ball thumped off of Johnson's hands and shoulder who grabbed it like a little bouncing baby? The next John Stallworth.)

FIRST PLACE AND REVENGE IS SWEET. I usually don't whimper like this, but I thought Suggs should have been ejected. A RB being pushed backwards by two defenders, forward progress stopped, and I think whistles blowing, and he's engaged upstairs by two guys and he goes low on him from behind? This was not only a foul (which was correctly called) but it was intentional hunting to end a guy's game and maybe his career. Thuggs should have been tossed. At least he had to stay and pretend he wasn't phased by the asswhooping his "defense" got.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby fred » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:46 pm

Thanks for taking the time to review the game. We needed Spaeth's td grab for tiebreaker purposes.
The new dog taught the old dog something: you can drill somebody even with an arm tackle if you make sure that you focus all 300lbs on driving the chest through the back when it hits the turf. Harrison was mad because Mac hurt FlakeO, got a 15 yarder, without leading with his helmet. So he gave it a shot a coupla plays later. FlakeO was no good anymore. Very satisfying after what Upshaw did to Ben.
What Suggs attempted to do to Blount was what Suggs had done to Willie Colon 2 years ago. This punk, criminal should get the Pete Rose treatment.
Know that Vince is not that fast, neither is Timmons as we saw a TE school him for a td last week. But Shazaam looks very collegiate and Spence is not quite looking as dominant or fast as the training camp experts sold us on. Give Vince a chance to show Ray Lewis how young and slow can deliver a blow!
Haley and Ben's O have performed very well against the 2 best playing Ds in the AFC. Bens td pass to Bryant was a play used against Indy. Cravens safety almost got it this time. Haley and Ben be careful with this play selection!

Hall of Famer

Postby PGHeaven » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:19 pm

Good article - better than any of the other hacks on koolaid.com fer sure

I am thinking that this was the good old boys coming back to life Tomlin et al be damned. From what I saw Ben got helmeted in the jaw and from that point on it was on like Donkey Kong. My cockles were warmed watching Harry bestialize the rats. Man - he was energized and that was what everyone fed off. Of course Ben innervated the competitive lobe when he did his Popeye imitation as he worked his jaw back into it's socket.

I thoroughly enjoyed a game in which these dudes fought it out like the good old days. Will they become the good new days?

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Pump-N-Iron » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:33 pm

Excellent write up Mill! After 7+ seasons, it looks like Tomlin has finally learned NOT to take his foot off the gas. Don't worry about having to make a defensive play. Don't let it come down to a last second field goal. Keep putting up points until the clock reads 00:00 and there won't be any comebacks. Awesome feeling to send the Poe-Birds back home with a ton of self doubt!!! Now, I'm just waiting to see Goodell's action on that blatant cheap shot by Suggs!

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:51 pm

That was the most I have enjoyed watching a stillers game in a long, long time. I am starting to become optimistic about our defense, especially when you consider that neither season starting CB's played a single snap yesterday and Troy missed the entire second half. All of the talking heads kept spewing about the shitbird's injuries in the secondary, but very little mention of our secondary issues, except for Collinsworth. Harrison looked like a different guy out there for more reasons than one. In his prime, James was primarily an outside pass rusher who used his low center of gravity and leverage to beat his man to the outside. However, yesterday, I saw him stunt and loop inside around the DE more than I have ever seen him in the past and it was very effective.

I guess everyone will have to shut up about Haley for a while now, especially that tool snoop dog. Bryant has been the difference on the offense. I don't think it's a coincidence that the Stiller's point totals have skyrocketed since he was inserted into the lineup. Did we actually get the better Clemson receiver? I'm starting to think that we did.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:00 pm

One more thing...... This game glaringly points out the biggest difference between Flacco and Ben. When Ben gets rocked, he plays better. When Flacco gets slammed, he looks like a practice squad player for the rest of the game.

:subngtowl:

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:52 pm

SoCal Stiller wrote:One more thing...... This game glaringly points out the biggest difference between Flacco and Ben. When Ben gets rocked, he plays better. When Flacco gets slammed, he looks like a practice squad player for the rest of the game.

:subngtowl:

:suplusone:

When the going gets tough the tough get going...and Flak-O gets going in his pants.

Return to Stillers Talk