Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Suggs' Cheap Shot on Blount

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Grizzled Veteran

Suggs' Cheap Shot on Blount

Postby Pump-N-Iron » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:19 am

Suggs deserves a hefty fine, if not a 1 game suspension, for that bush-league cheap shot he threw on Blount. IMO, he probably should have been ejected from the game for it. Dear Mr. Goodell, do you words "intent to injure" mean anything to you? Or do we only reserve "player safety" concerns for Tom Brady and Peyton Manning? I will wait for Tuesday/Wednesday to see if anything comes out of the league office. You can bet the Steelers are sending a tape to Goodell as I type this. Absolutely, unquestionable that he intentionally tried to take out Blount's knee, end his season and possibly his career. That kind of action should not be tolerated!

Greenhorned Rookie

Re: Suggs' Cheap Shot on Blount

Postby BGSUsteelers » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:07 am

I don't think it's fair to unquestionably say he was trying to end his season/career. If Suggs had a history of dishing out season ending cheap shots then you'd have a point. With that said, it doesn't mean the hit wasn't dirty and no matter what Suggs' intentions were it's perception versus reality, and he'll have to deal with that.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:56 pm

Nothing was clearer to me on that play than the fact that the play was over and Blunt was clearly engaged up high by two defenders when Thuggs intentionally went low from behind. I do not need a crystal ball to imagine what his intentions were. It was a cheap shot and an intentional one and I can't believe he doesn't get ejected for that. As I said elsewhere, the only solace was the he had to remain around to watch the absolute shellacking his "defense" got at the hands of the superior squad. I don't care if he gets fined, these guys all have more money than God anyway. I hope he gets a suspension.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:04 pm

Saw an article on Raven's website. Here's an excerpt:

"Ravens Head Coach John Harbaugh addressed the play Monday after watching it again on tape:

'Terrell Suggs is a very respected player in this league,” Harbaugh said. “He’s respected by the coaches. He’s respected by the players. I’ve never, ever heard anybody say anything about Terrell Suggs not being a clean, tough player. And he was attempting to make a tackle.'"

This all sounds really definitive until you recall that Harbaugh also said in February:

“There are a lot of question marks. Ray's character … you guys know his character. You start with that.”

Maybe Harb-awww needs to reassess his judgment of the scumbags on his team.

Funny how the same article says "Blount was stuffed by a pair of Ravens defenders, but he was trying to push his way forward to pick up extra yards. That’s when Suggs came from behind and delivered a hit to Blount’s hips that collapsed his legs and brought down the running back."

I like how Blount was "trying to push his way forward" which somehow justifies knee-hunting by Thuggs, despite the video evidence clearly shows he was being pushed backwards at the time, and had already gone back at least a yard. Maybe the ravens haven't seen THAT video yet, either...

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:09 pm

Look at the video replay yourself here:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... rty-player

Practice Squad

Postby JoshBroski » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:04 am

Definitely a cheap shot. I don't expect a suspension but he should receive a hefty fine. Goodell may fine Harrison too for scaring Flacco all night.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:05 am

JoshBroski wrote:Goodell may fine Harrison too for scaring Flacco all night.

:suplusone:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:07 pm

His excuse was weak as hell. Suggs said he was trying to keep him from going forward for more yards. If that were the case then he would have pulled him backward toward the Steelers end, not dive into the back of his legs and push him forward. The intent was definately there for that ugly ass sore loser. Looks like someone put out a fire on his face with an ice pick.

:sufu:

Practice Squad

Postby Scarletfire1970 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:38 pm

What do you expect from somebody who beats his wife and pours bleach on his kid? Scum bag.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelerssix » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:25 pm

JoshBroski wrote: Goodell may fine Harrison too for scaring Flacco all night.

LMAO at that comment. BTW - has anybody seen video of the drilling Mclendon put on Flacco? I know he got a PF for it, but all I can find is the Harry hit, which of course was good. Thanks.

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby bubbybrister » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:14 pm

Suggs got the smack down from the league office in the form of an $8200 fine.

By comparison, Colin Kaepernick was levied a $10,000 fine earlier this year for wearing beats headphones during warm-ups.

My guess is the heads-up football program P.R. bullshit the league pushes has no mention of chop-block type hits. Player safety my ass.

Practice Squad

Postby chucktownsteeler » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:20 pm

One of the dirtiest plays I have ever witnessed. Ranks right up there with the Ravens player that took a cheap shot on Heath Miller a few years back. Much like the Raiders of the 70's the criminal element in the NFL now calls Baltimore its home.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelerssix » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:22 am

bubbybrister wrote:Suggs got the smack down from the league office in the form of an $8200 fine.

By comparison, Colin Kaepernick was levied a $10,000 fine earlier this year for wearing beats headphones during warm-ups.

My guess is the heads-up football program P.R. bullshit the league pushes has no mention of chop-block type hits. Player safety my ass.

As I said in a separate thread here about ESPN QBR: There is a detailed explanation for the acronyms, but probably as easy to understand as the formula for dishing out fines in the NFL.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:43 am

And as I said in that same thread, the decision probably hinges on the "OJS" factor...

Return to Stillers Talk