Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » WR Trade Deadline

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Hall of Famer

WR Trade Deadline

Postby isfry » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:48 pm

Anyone think it's worth looking at someone like Vincent Jackson before next weeks deadline? What about Nate Washington? I have a bit of a bad taste in my mouth about Washington since he left for the Titties, but he and Ben had some good chemistry, as I recall. Any thoughts? Anyone know how our own salary cap situation might play into anything like this even being considered?
Just spitballin on a Wednesday...

Grizzled Veteran

Re: WR Trade Deadline

Postby Steelers76 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:39 am

isfry wrote:Anyone think it's worth looking at someone like Vincent Jackson before next weeks deadline? What about Nate Washington? I have a bit of a bad taste in my mouth about Washington since he left for the Titties, but he and Ben had some good chemistry, as I recall. Any thoughts? Anyone know how our own salary cap situation might play into anything like this even being considered?

I do, re: Vincent Jackson. He would be that solid No. 2 WR this team lacks right now. Nate Washington? Not so much. At least I don't think he would be worth what Tenn. might want for him.

Speaking of Tampa Bay WRs, I think Louis Murphy could be had for a fair price if they couldn't work out a deal for V.J. While obviously not as good as Jackson would be, he is a solid veteran that is way better than what we have at the position now, sans A.B. of course.

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby ibleedBLACKandGOLD81 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:44 am

Steelers76 wrote:
isfry wrote:Anyone think it's worth looking at someone like Vincent Jackson before next weeks deadline? What about Nate Washington? I have a bit of a bad taste in my mouth about Washington since he left for the Titties, but he and Ben had some good chemistry, as I recall. Any thoughts? Anyone know how our own salary cap situation might play into anything like this even being considered?

I do, re: Vincent Jackson. He would be that solid No. 2 WR this team lacks right now. Nate Washington? Not so much. At least I don't think he would be worth what Tenn. might want for him.

Speaking of Tampa Bay WRs, I think Louis Murphy could be had for a fair price if they couldn't work out a deal for V.J. While obviously not as good as Jackson would be, he is a solid veteran that is way better than what we have at the position now, sans A.B. of course.

There is zero chance of a trade for Vincent Jackson. His base salary is $10 million this year followed by $9.78 million in 2015 and 2016. The Steelers would almost definitely have no interest in a trade for Jackson.

Louis Murphy didn't even make Tampa Bay's original 53-man roster (he was cut the final day of the preason). He was then unemployed for 17 days before Tampa re-signed him for the rest of the season at the vet minimum. I know he had that crucial 41 yard reception late in the game against the Steelers but in every relevant statistical category Darius Heyward-Bey has had the more productive career (and he barely sees the field for us). Louis Murphy simply does not improve our receiving corps.

The only trade for a WR that makes sense is for Nate Washington and this trade would actually make a lot of sense. He was a starting WR (#2) for the Titans the first 5 games of this season and only recently lost his starting job to Justin Hunter. He and Ben have already played together for 4 seasons. His base salary is $4.8 million for this season and he will be a free agent at the end of this season. Giving up a conditional (6th or 7th or nothing depending on production), a 7th straight-up, or potentially even a 6th round draft pick straight-up would make a lot of sense as Nate would make our receiving corps better. Tennessee would expect nothing more than the late-round possibilities that I just mentioned. If we had to give up a 6th then the Steelers would likely ensure he was extended for 1 or 2 seasons at about $1.5 million per season (a similar contract to Lance Moore...NW and LM were born only 3 days apart). To make room on the roster the Steelers could send WR Justin Brown to the practice squad and release WR CJ Goodwin from the practice squad. As far as NW leaving for Tennessee in the first place, it was because the Titans offered him a 6-year, $27 million contract which anyone in their right mind would have taken over what the Steelers could pay (we had just won the Super Bowl and had no cap space). This trade makes a ton of sense on multiple levels and I hope it happens.

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby ibleedBLACKandGOLD81 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:49 am

I forgot to mention that the Steelers DO have the necessary cap space needed to sign Nate Washington. His prorated cap hit would be only $2.7 million if he was acquired before Sunday and only $2.4 million if acquired after Sunday (and before the October 28 deadline).

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby ibleedBLACKandGOLD81 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:09 am

I just found out that Nate Washington's contract is fully guaranteed for the rest of this season which means that the Titans will likely get nothing more than a conditional late-round pick (6th or 7th or nothing depending on production) or a 7th straight-up. The Titans will almost definitely not get anything higher than a 7th round pick.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:53 am

Nice post ibleedBLACKandGOLD81. That was a lot of good information. Keep it coming...

By the way, how is it that you are a greenhorn rookie if you joined in 2008? Mill?

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:09 pm

Thanks, IBLEED. Great info. We'll see how it unfolds. SoCal, I think status is based on number of posts, not length of attendance. Thank God it's not based on intelligence of posts, or I'd still be on the practice squad...

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelers76 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:12 pm

ibleedBLACKandGOLD81 wrote:
Steelers76 wrote:

There is zero chance of a trade for Vincent Jackson. His base salary is $10 million this year followed by $9.78 million in 2015 and 2016. The Steelers would almost definitely have no interest in a trade for Jackson.

Louis Murphy didn't even make Tampa Bay's original 53-man roster (he was cut the final day of the preason). He was then unemployed for 17 days before Tampa re-signed him for the rest of the season at the vet minimum. I know he had that crucial 41 yard reception late in the game against the Steelers but in every relevant statistical category Darius Heyward-Bey has had the more productive career (and he barely sees the field for us). Louis Murphy simply does not improve our receiving corps.

Again, our WRs, sans A.B., are weak sauce. If Murphy was picked up, he'd instantly be the 2nd best at the position, which I know says less about our wide outs than more about him, but it's true. And Heyward-Bey hardly sees the field because he's garbage. Yes, Murphy was picked up after 2-3 weeks into the regular season, yet despite that and playing for a shit team with a shit QB in which he's not the No. 1 WR, he's still managed to put up 16 rec for 206 yards,(a 12.9 per catch average), and 2 TDs. Now compare that with H.B.'s laughable numbers, all while playing for a franchise QB that has lead his team to 2 Super Bowl Championships and 3 AFC Titles.

Also, being cut by a team isn't always a black or white area; There was a "reason" Kurt Warner was bagging groceries and passed over by every team in The NFL before getting a call from St. Louis in the late 1990's.

All this said, is Murphy the ideal WR I'd like to see The Steelers trade for at the deadline? No, of course not. But The NFL isn't like MLB or The NHL at the trade deadline, in that you hardly ever see blockbuster deals. My suggestion of Murphy was more a cheap, practical, but better than the majority of what we have at the position, suggestion. A scenario that is much more likely to happen than acquiring V.J. or Nate Washington.

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby ibleedBLACKandGOLD81 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:00 am

SoCal Stiller wrote:Nice post ibleedBLACKandGOLD81. That was a lot of good information. Keep it coming...

By the way, how is it that you are a greenhorn rookie if you joined in 2008? Mill?

Thanks for the acknowledgment SoCal, I appreciate it. Isfry is right that I'm a Greenhorned Rookie because of my post count. My posts on this thread were actually my first posts in years.

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby ibleedBLACKandGOLD81 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:01 am

isfry wrote:Thanks, IBLEED. Great info. We'll see how it unfolds. SoCal, I think status is based on number of posts, not length of attendance. Thank God it's not based on intelligence of posts, or I'd still be on the practice squad...

You're welcome isfry...hahaha on the "intelligence of posts" comment

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby ibleedBLACKandGOLD81 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:10 am

Steelers76 wrote:Again, our WRs, sans A.B., are weak sauce. If Murphy was picked up, he'd instantly be the 2nd best at the position, which I know says less about our wide outs than more about him, but it's true. And Heyward-Bey hardly sees the field because he's garbage. Yes, Murphy was picked up after 2-3 weeks into the regular season, yet despite that and playing for a shit team with a shit QB in which he's not the No. 1 WR, he's still managed to put up 16 rec for 206 yards,(a 12.9 per catch average), and 2 TDs. Now compare that with H.B.'s laughable numbers, all while playing for a franchise QB that has lead his team to 2 Super Bowl Championships and 3 AFC Titles.

Also, being cut by a team isn't always a black or white area; There was a "reason" Kurt Warner was bagging groceries and passed over by every team in The NFL before getting a call from St. Louis in the late 1990's.

All this said, is Murphy the ideal WR I'd like to see The Steelers trade for at the deadline? No, of course not. But The NFL isn't like MLB or The NHL at the trade deadline, in that you hardly ever see blockbuster deals. My suggestion of Murphy was more a cheap, practical, but better than the majority of what we have at the position, suggestion. A scenario that is much more likely to happen than acquiring V.J. or Nate Washington.

Good and valid points Steelers76, but at the end of the day I just don't think Louis Murphy would get much playing time for us. Besides, I don't see why Tampa would want to trade him since they wouldn't get much in return for him (maybe a conditional 7th), he's been productive for them, and he's signed for the vet minimum. If they are looking to move a WR it would be VJ since they would get a nice return for him since's he's a #1-caliber WR, locked up through 2016, and they have another #1-caliber WR in Mike Evans. I don't think it would be more likely for the Steelers to trade for LM over NW, I think trading for NW is much more likely since the Titans won't get higher than a straight-up 7th or conditional 6th for him.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:36 am

"Isfry is right that I'm a Greenhorned Rookie because of my post count."

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelers76 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:42 am

Well, today at 4pm et is the trade deadline. I doubt the Steelers make a big or little move by then, but we'll see.

Speaking of which, another WR that I've been watching that I'd love to have here that I've been watching the past 2 years is Oakland's Andre Holmes.

The 6'4 Holmes currently has 23 catches for 372 yards,(16.2 yards per rec), and 4 TDs. All on The NFL's worst team, The Raiders.

He is a player who I think the team should pursue in the off-season, even if he's not dealt. Hell, there's plently of dead weight, do nothings on the active roster now that a space could easily be cleared for him. Heyward-Bey and Justin Brown would be 2 prime canidates to send packing, and that's just on The WR side of things.

Return to Stillers Talk