Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Tomlin Not Interested in "Being the Coach"

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Hall of Famer

Tomlin Not Interested in "Being the Coach"

Postby isfry » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:16 pm

So Mike Tomlin says he isn't interested in "labeling the WRs" on his team.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/ ... 34db841463

In an excerpt from that article, it says:"Coach Mike Tomlin said he likes the way the different members of the unit have been finding ways to contribute, but he isn’t necessarily interested in putting labels on each player’s role. I like what transpired in the stadium,” said Tomlin. “Basically when called upon, a lot of different guys delivered. Maybe there’s not a second, third, or fourth (wide receiver) per se, but situationally, or by package, or by concept, we’ll just continue to work that division of labor and continue to put those guys in a position to do what they do best, geared toward having balance within the group. And (we’ll be) leaning on the physical strengths of all the men.”

Tomlin went on to add, regarding Bryant's TD: “I am not going to try to make more out of it than what it is,” said Tomlin about Bryant after the game. “He made a great play, a necessary play. It is a play that he is capable of making. It’s a play that we watch him consistently make on the practice field. He is still working to round out his game like a lot of young guys are, but that was a significant contribution to our efforts.”

I am getting pretty fucking tired of the legalese, coach-speak coming out of Tomlin's pie-hole. Let's translate for the uninitiated:

"Coach Mike Tomlin said he likes the way the different members of the unit have been finding ways to contribute, but he isn’t necessarily interested in putting labels on each player’s role. I like what transpired in the stadium,” said Tomlin. “Basically when called upon, a lot of different guys delivered." -Translation? Despite the fact that Heyward-Bey and Justin Brown clearly have Mike Wallace's feet for hands, their drops and lack of production are excusable and acceptable. Despite the fact that Lance Moore has proven himself to not even be the poor man's Cotchery, let alone able to carry Hines Ward's jock as third down possession receiver, he is an adequate waste of roster space, as well. Pinkie Wheaton had a bunch of easy catches in a blowout first half against the brownies and has largely been silenced since (and on the wrong page of the playbook half the time) we will continue to consider him the second coming of John Stallworth.

"Maybe there’s not a second, third, or fourth (wide receiver) per se, but situationally, or by package, or by concept, we’ll just continue to work that division of labor and continue to put those guys in a position to do what they do best, geared toward having balance within the group. And (we’ll be) leaning on the physical strengths of all the men.” Translation? - I am not capable of making a decision on my roster, despite the fact that we are already more than a third of the way through the season. My hope is that I can just sit back and spin my headset around like a pom-pom girl and things will just work out. Fingers crossed...

“I am not going to try to make more out of it than what it is,” said Tomlin about Bryant after the game. “He made a great play, a necessary play. It is a play that he is capable of making. It’s a play that we watch him consistently make on the practice field. He is still working to round out his game like a lot of young guys are, but that was a significant contribution to our efforts.” Translation? - Despite the fact that my franchise QB has been screaming for a tall WR threat since before Plaxico shot himself, and despite the fact that we were basically in the toilet in the red zone last year which was why we drafted Bryant in the first place, and despite the fact that he sat on the bench rotting while the Keystone Kops dropped passes all over the field, I still cannot tell the difference in production between stretching the defense and scoring points and dropping passes or sloppy route running. What am I supposed to be? The coach or something?

It's about time that somebody (THE COACH) showed a modicum of what Tomlin glibly refers to as "accountability" for their errors. Justin Brown is a bust. Lance moore has not even lived up to his rep as journeyman vet. Heyward-Bey is the second fastest waterboy on the roster (thanks to Archer.) Bust. bust. bust. Bust.

Bryant contributed and produced. He earned a spot as WR2 until he proves (as Wheaton, Moore, Heyward-Bey, and Brown already convincingly have) otherwise. It's not rocket science and it doesn't need to be veiled in hieroglyphic coach code.

Grizzled Veteran

Re: Tomlin Not Interested in "Being the Coach"

Postby SoCal Stiller » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:41 pm

"Heyward-Bey is the second fastest waterboy on the roster (thanks to Archer.)"

Thanks for the great laugh before I drive home from work! :lol:

Return to Stillers Talk