Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Stillers-Texans Postgame Analysis and Grades

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Stillers.com Team

Stillers-Texans Postgame Analysis and Grades

Postby StillMill » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:24 am

Stillers-Texans Postgame Analysis and Grades has been posted by Still Mill at Stillers.com.

Grizzled Veteran

Re: Stillers-Texans Postgame Analysis and Grades

Postby Pommah » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:10 pm

Great writeup as usual, Mill. Good luck with the new hip op and recovery.

I missed 3/4 of the first half. Tuned in to see Benji playing like he ought to. If he can keep that up we are back in it. Was especially impressed with his deep ball.

Martavis Bryant's catch was awesome. Faked the defender, burst of speed to separate, stutter steps to slow down just enough to catch Benji's fraction of a second too late slightly under-arced ball, hauls it in and does the footwork to get both feet in. Nice. And this guy sat on his ass for 6 games because?

We almost gave it away again, had Houston picked up that OSK they would have been right in the end zone again the way they were going through the D. We still need at least a two TD lead going into the 4Q. Unacceptable.

Anybody know why Timmons was puking? I saw him do it at least twice. If the man was sick and turned in that kind of performance, well that's pretty damn impressive. Gets my vote for hardhat (can we bring that back?)

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:33 pm

Good luck on your surgery bro, but that's no excuse for bailing out next week. Do you want to be classified with a new stillers nickname such as Pinkie Wheaton? ;)

Nice win and a step in the right direction. Mill is right It's been an absolute travesty that Bryant hasn't dressed up until now. I hope that his first pro catch being a TD is a preview of things to come. The inability of this staff to get young players on the field is ridiculous. However, to contradict myself, Kiesel has been playing his ass off since the season started. Opposing teams have began to double-team him the last couple of weeks. With that, I haven't had so much of a problem with Tuitt's limited action.

I've noticed that the LB unit as a whole were reacting better to the offense. I saw Spence make several plays that were key to the game, but may have not stood out. The first series in the second half was going to be critical to the outcome of the game considering how the 1st half ended. The very first play was a counter play with a short throw to the TE against the grain. The entire Steeler's D was fooled at the snap, but Spence was able to hustle back and drop him just short of the first down. On 2nd and 1, I don't think he got credit for the tackle, but it was his effort that stopped the play for a short loss. Steelers held on 3rd down and got the ball back. If Houston drives down the field there, things may have turned out different.

Offensive play calling still sucks, but I will give them credit for getting Bell the ball out of the backfield as much as they did. Speaking of Bell, I like how he always delivers a hit before he goes out of bounds. I have never seen this guy puss out! He's rapidly becoming one of my favorite Steelers.

:cheers:

Seasoned Veteran

Postby fred » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:43 pm

Agree with above, Bell is way above average. Couple of times instead of going OoB, he put his shoulder down, that was Walter Peyton's style. Excellent play off of clouncey's shield block to get the O moving. Gotta give Kiesel credit on the int. He forced it. D is worrisome without a doubt. Almost 400 yards to mediocre qb. Luck, next week, will be true test of whether D could be of help if the Steelers can mount a playoff drive. Marty looks like he could make us completely forget about Mikey. Large body could be strong force deep across middle.Shade Tree had them running away from him. Love to see Vince get some more playing time.

Practice Squad

Postby chucktownsteeler » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:29 pm

Good luck Mill on your surgery.

Great write-up as always.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby pinpon » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:50 pm

Good luck with the surgery Mill and I wish you a fast and speedy recovery!

I will take the win, but it looked as much incompetence on the Texans part as Steeler skill. Defense is bad, but McCain at least looks serviceable at CB unlike Allen. Next two weeks will tell a lot toward the playoffs.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:59 am

Solid, thorough work, Mill, as usual. I was actually expecting you to be a little rougher on 'em. Good luck with the hip. Hopefully not too long on the IR.
Our new ball-hawking D is gonna make mincemeat outta Andrew "bad" Luck next week. hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Coke Oven » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:50 am

pinpon wrote:I will take the win, but it looked as much incompetence on the Texans part as Steeler skill. Defense is bad, but McCain at least looks serviceable at CB unlike Allen. Next two weeks will tell a lot toward the playoffs.

I agree with that analysis. Did you notice how toward the end they had to let the score get a little closer? There's a lot of that going on with this organization, so much so that it's gotten obvious. It has to have something to do with the Rooneys and money.

Stillers.com Team

Postby StillMill » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:03 am

Thanx for the kind get-well wishes, folks. Hopefully I can watch the game on Sun....the humor of seeing Luck toy with, and carve up, Dickie Boy will probably help ease some of the post-surgery pain. 8-)

Go Stillers !!

Hall of Famer

Postby PGHeaven » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:25 am

Be well Mill. Prayers for your speedy recovery

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelers76 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:30 am

Hope for a speedy recover, Mill. Don't worry about taking the week off; Am thinking there will be little positive to reflect on after The Colts game, but hopefully I'm wrong.

-I 100% agree and am glad you brought up the sheer stupidity of Haley,(or whoever), calling for that fade pass with just under 4 minutes remaining in the game with The Steelers ahead by 11 points and already in FG range, and most importantly The Texans had NO TIMEOUTS remaining. Even The MNF announcing crew were in awe of the foolishness of this call. Haley was so in love with the gut plunge the first 6 games of the season, but here when it would be appropriate he goes for the low percentage throw. Amazing. And spare me the old "It would have been a genius call if it had worked." No it wouldn't have been. Even if they had scored 6 on that throw, my response would've been "you lucked out there."

-Defense looked better on paper than they have in a while, but as you say the games are not played on paper. I was extremely disappointed in them getting little to no pressure on Fitzpussy. 1 sack the entire game on the slow footed clod. ONE. They give Luck that kind of time this Sunday, it could resemble when The Patriots came into Heinz 4 years ago and completely decimated and humiliated the defense.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:03 pm

And now, in an effort to ensure that their play isn't the only hideous thing on display this Sunday, the Steelers have announced they will be wearing their throwback uniforms against the Colts...

Hall of Famer

Postby PGHeaven » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:06 am

Steelers76 wrote:Hope for a speedy recover, Mill. Don't worry about taking the week off; Am thinking there will be little positive to reflect on after The Colts game, but hopefully I'm wrong.

But my friend - you are wrong - your premise is wrong - There will be plenty for Mill to reflect on in his INIMITABLE style

Return to Stillers Talk