Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Tomlin's Changes

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Grizzled Veteran

Tomlin's Changes

Postby Steelers76 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:18 am

After another terrible loss in the "soft" part of their schedule dropped the team to last in The AFC North, Mr. Bravado himself, Mike Tomlin, declared that changes were going to be made. Here are the apparent "changes" for Monday Night's game against The Texans;

-Brice McCain in at starting CB. Cortez Allen will sit the bench. Money well spent there.

-Rookies Martavis Bryant-WR, Daniel McCullers-NT, and Stephan Tuitt-DT, will see increased playing time, and/or will start.

Well, I was really down on this season, but I'm sure these changes will make them a contender again. Um, yeah..... :sufu:

Grizzled Veteran

Re: Tomlin's Changes

Postby Pommah » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:14 am

Football is a balls-out game. Players have to exert themselves tremendously during the course of the game if they want to be the best team on the field, if they want to win. It's brutal, hard work.

When starters have their position locked up, they invariably soften up - yes there are some who can keep themselves at a high level because of who they are, but most men will start slacking off, if they can get away with it.

For years, especially on D, the Stillers do not substitute the young up- and-comers who keep the starters honest. When they do get in, it has been so long since they've seen the field that they're not ready for it and invariably don't look as good as the starter.

Worilds rotted on the bench behind a slacking-off Woodley. When they finally gave him enough playing time, he looked great, and since he'd rotted for so long, they misplayed his contract and now he's a $10 million dollar man, and guess what, is slacking off.

Keenan Lewis, a 3rd round pick, rotted on the bench, we let him go, he gets picked up by the Saints and starts and turns in a stellar year with 5 picks, in a year when no Stillers player has more than 2. And now we're benching the guy we chose instead?

With the 16-game season it's a war of attrition and you have to use all your players. As Mill often points out, we've got a lot of guys sitting not the bench, rotting away. Why? It's a bad strategy.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:34 pm

It sounds like they're starting Bryant at the #2 receiver spot. I hope like hell he is not another Limas Peed. If Martavis brings the same confidence and ball skills that I watched him play with in college, then this offense may have a chance to turn it around. Obviously, we have found that Wheaton is not the answer, so I think this is a good move. Even if he doesn't play particularly well his first couple of games, I think we need to keep starting him and giving him 1st team reps.
I also like that they benched Cortez Allen, despite the fact it makes both the management and coaching staff look incredibly inept for lavishing his below average ass with that contract. Who would have thought 3 years ago that William Gay would be our best corner? That pretty much says it all right there.

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:05 pm

Gay couldn't play until he went to New England either.....our coaching staff can't develop talent.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelers76 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:12 pm

thesteelhammer wrote:Gay couldn't play until he went to New England either.....our coaching staff can't develop talent.

Did you mean Arizona? I don't think old Gay-bird ever played for The Pats, did he?

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:06 am

I think Gay is a product of his environment. What I mean is, when he plays up close to the LOS as he had been doing primarily while covering the slot, he plays much better. However, now that he is starting at corner in Dick's softee defense he will be playing with a bigger cushion by design. I think he has more skills than we give him credit for, but the design of the defense makes him look sub-par.
I know one thing, he is one helluva good guy who has been through some shit none of us can fathom. I'm rooting for this guy big time.

:subngtowl:

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:32 pm

Can Tomlin fire himself? That would be the best "change" he could implement. He fires himself, LeBeau retires before he becomes any more of a caricature of himself, Lake takes over the D, Munchak fills in as interim HC for the rest of the year, and then we see how it goes. Have you ever noticed when you look at the sidelines of other teams (especially the winning ones) they have quality household names at all levels of the coaching staffs? OC's and DC's that were HC's somewhere else? Munchak was a great acquisition, in my opinion, but we need more of that.

Tomlin must go.

Return to Stillers Talk