Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Tired of it

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Grizzled Veteran

Tired of it

Postby SoCal Stiller » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:51 pm

The whole Ray Rice, NFL investigation story is a fucking joke. I'm no fan of Goodell, but how is it possible that the NFL has endured weeks of scrutiny and bashing over what ultimately is their lack of punishment handed down? How is it that the piece of shit judge and DA walk away unscathed after handing down ZERO jail time plus put his sorry ass in a program to have his record expunged? Apparently, our sheeple society feel it's the NFL's responsibility to hand down punishment for criminal behavior instead of the "judicial" system we supposedly have in place. How about someone investigate why this a-hole did ZERO jail time for beating a woman in a public elevator. I guess players acting like assholes and getting away with it is all the NFL's fault, right?

Grizzled Veteran

Re: Tired of it

Postby Pommah » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:25 am

SoCal, I am with you man. The pro sports players used to be guys to look up to, guys whose skills you admired. Yeah, a lot of stuff was swept under the rug in the old days by a more compliant press. But all pro sports has become about the almighty dollar to the detriment of the sport, the institution, the thing that was supposed to be sacred and last forever. Pro Football is barely recognizable as the game I once knew, with passing nearly every down and arcane rules designed to further the "fantasy" game. The players have no moral compass. Baseball is unwatchable, games taking four hours or more, as they step out of the box on every pitch to listen to their motivational song being blasted over the loudspeaker - what, $5Million a year won't motivate you? Basketball is playground antics, no deft passing, no defense, just showboating, and we get creamed in international competition now in the game we invented.

Even college sports are tainted. Kids supposedly are finishing after four years thousands of dollars in debt with no degree because all they could do was play their sport, yet the coaches make millions. Free education? What, in the school of hard knocks?

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:26 pm

To your point, I am becoming more of a hockey fan and less of a football fan every year. It seems every NHL player conducts himself with nothing but class and all of the team coaches dress in suits and project class as well. When was the last time an NHL player was arrested let alone convicted of a felony? Also, almost all of the changes made to the NHL rules makes complete sense. Isn't ironic that a sport that allows fist-fighting still has 10X the amount of class the NFL does? The only thing that surprises me is that the sport is not more popular than it is. I've watched the sport grow tremendously in CA after I moved out here, but it seems like it has flatlined everywhere else.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Pommah » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:25 am

SoCal, pro hockey 15 years ago was a bunch of thugs and goons and fans who came to see fights. They really cleaned up their act and now its the best pro sport out there. Took a near-death experience to straighten them out - remember the McSorley-Brashear incident? The whole pro game back then was utter crap and most hockey fans I know were watching mostly college. Feels to me like the other 3 pro sports need a similar wake up call.

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:15 pm

While every group of humans has it's share of bad apples, if you are looking for athletes that you can generally hold out as positive examples to your kids, try college and Olympic wrestling. Hardest working athletes bar none, and to a man they will all preach "hard pays off" which is a great value for kids to learn. Generally a humble bread who will give back at all levels of their sport, and since very little public attention is given to them when the opportunity comes for something like an autograph session, they'll stay and sign for hours.

As for the legal system, go sit in your local courthouse some average day....you'll find that it's not just celebrities who's treatment you are disappointed in. My advice is do more research in to who you are voting in to these important positions, and when you find a hard ass who's running for office, support him with your vote and your dollars.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:20 am

"My advice is do more research in to who you are voting in to these important positions, and when you find a hard ass who's running for office, support him with your vote and your dollars."

I'm not looking for a hard ass. I'm looking for accountability in a system that is supposed to punish criminals when they break the law, especially violence towards women! However, they will never be held accountable as long as the majority of the public directs all of their anger and scrutiny toward the NFL instead of where it should be - the legal system. He received zero jail time, yet the NFL gets destroyed for giving him 2 games, which is a hell of a lot more than what the court handed down. My vote does not mean shit as long as the sheeple keep allowing it to happen on such a large scale. The public continues to fall for the media bullshit that follows these stories and lose sight of what is really important.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:24 pm

I work in the legal field, SoCal, and I couldn't agree with you more. People need to come out and vote at the local level to ensure that the people on the bench are actually meting out justice, not just ordering people into programs that pay the County money. Like it or not, money is the reason half the time that justice isn't done. Someone goes to jail for a year, that costs the County tons of cash for three hots and a cot. If, however, that same someone is instead ordered into a 52 week batterers program, they pay the County lots of money for that privilege. It's all about greenbacks. Does the NFL imitate life or does life imitate the NFL?

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:36 pm

I guess I'm just concerned about our society and the way people think. It seems everyone just falls in line with what they are fed on TV. Common sense needs to come in to play at some point. If the same public outcry and media scrutiny was directed at the proper people then maybe it would make a difference. A lot of people gave their lives for the past 200+ years to ensure a fair and free system. Well, now nothing seems fair about our judicial system and it sure as hell isn't free. Our forefathers would roll over in their graves if they knew the current state of affairs and how bad money has corrupted every level of government.

Oh, and go Steelers! :subngtowl:

Return to Stillers Talk