Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Stillers-Panthers Postgame Analysis and Grades

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Stillers.com Team

Stillers-Panthers Postgame Analysis and Grades

Postby StillMill » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:54 am

Stillers-Panthers Postgame Analysis and Grades has been posted by Still Mill at Stillers.com.

Grizzled Veteran

Re: Stillers-Panthers Postgame Analysis and Grades

Postby LenSherwood » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:41 am

It is hard to get too excited by this game because in reality the Panther suck. Their decisions to let their receiving corps leave was totally fucked up. Newton is still a work in progress and giving him new unproven players proved a disaster. Plus he was hurt--he looked slow, slow enough for the Steelers to get pressure. Steelers at least beat a team that was begging them to beat them...that is one upside. Also, the Steelers are now capable of running the ball. Upside two. Upside three is that in this NFL, there are very few really good teams. The injuries though--not that Ike Taylor is great at this point, but he is their only corner with size. If Jones or Shazier are hurt...well at this point, they can be replaced. Moats looked to be a stronger pass rusher than Jones anyway and Shazier is still a rookie... but the secondary is a problem now even more than it was before.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby fred » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:44 pm

You are a hard man to please. Thought Munch Oline has gelled some. They dominated Carolina front 7 2nd half. And, if we can get LeBeau to switch hemets between C. Thomas and Shade Tree, we might have a Dline that could hold their own. Jones may not play much more, since Moats looks like he can blow up the sackless stat. Finally, hoping that I am very wrong, Shamarko's play has paralelled Curtis Brown. He didn't exactly force a fumble on that punt. We might have gotten very lucky there because Wing's punt outdistanced the coverage. You are very right on the fact that Carolina was not in their comfort zone asking Newton to beat LeBeau with his arm. Their best runner AND their best pass rusher did not play. But the game was a good away game steel.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:49 pm

The panthers are NOT that good, you're right. Neither are the Ratbirds, though. I was simply happy to see a Steeler team that looked liked it was playing as a unit and with something that remotely resembled a common goal and plan in all three phases. Like Mill said, let's see it again next week and then we'll talk.

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby SojuMaster » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:05 am

There is a reason that the Wheaton TD as not challenged, is because he stepped out of bounds prior to catching the ball. That would have been a waste of a challenge.

I was at the stadium for the game and they had the replay on the screens within 10 seconds and it was very clear that the heel stepped out as he was positioning himself for the leaping catch.

Stillers.com Team

Postby StillMill » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:13 am

hmmm, NBC didn't show such an angle, that showed Wheat's heel. Just so ya know.

Soju makes you strong, an old Korean man once told me... lol

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SteelThatDon'tRust » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:25 am

So is the board consensus that the Panthers defensive front 7 suck? Their offense might not be that good, but gentlemen, their defense is for real, and our o line ran over them.

I'll tell you what, it was wonderful to see the o line actually go out and straight fuck up a defensive front. Bell and Blount ran wild b/c the o line played with nasty, nasty intentions. The ovverated overpaid Pouncey was the winged god to the second level, and made Kuechly his bitch more than once. DeCastro was flat out mauling motherfuckers like he just found out they'd fucked his GF. Even tubby Gilbert was making up for past pussiness.

I understand the the reason for continued scepticism, as often as this team has left us at the alter, but at least now we know the team can get it done on offense.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby fred » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:55 pm

Steel that don't rust, your language is atrocious. We're shocked and appalled. Luckily, we agree with everything that you said!

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:01 pm

Yeah Fred, but he definately drove his point home. I actually enjoyed his rant. I'm sure he feels much better now.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby fred » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:52 pm

The attempt at humorous sarcasm was stolen from Al Franken on SNL.

Hey StillMill give me a promotion to 'green horn' since I posted under Charles and other names but could never remember the passwords.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:56 am

I think Fred needs a few more weeks on the rookie squad until he learns how to remember his passwords. Maybe we can revisit this at mid season. :lol:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Pump-N-Iron » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:03 pm

Bell & Blount for HARD HAT AWARDS!!!! The Committee seems to have missed the first 2 weeks (well, that and the lack of anyone worthy of a Hard Hat)

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:56 pm

You can't argue with the doobie brothers for hard hat and it should include a Munchak honorable mention. Bell's patience and footwork are incredible. I don't ever remember having a RB with his skill set. Who does he remind you of? I thought Collinsworth made a decent comparison of his style with Marcus Allen during the telecast. I can't come up with a better one.

Practice Squad

Postby JoshBroski » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:41 pm

I agree with the above regarding Bell. His vision to find a hole can't be taught. Willie Parker was the exact opposite. He had elite speed but would just run straight into the pile.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:18 pm

...and then there was Socrates who would ponder and pontificate while he danced the can-can three yards behind the line of scrimmage before getting gang tackled. Bell is a far better naturally talented runner than either of the aforementioned two.

Return to Stillers Talk