Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Just as I Thought Part 2: The Future Stillers 4-3

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Practice Squad

Just as I Thought Part 2: The Future Stillers 4-3

Postby PalmerSucks » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:04 pm

Just as I Thought Part 2: The Future Stillers 4-3 has been posted by Palmer Sucks at Stillers.com.

Grizzled Veteran

Re: Just as I Thought Part 2: The Future Stillers 4-3

Postby LenSherwood » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:51 pm

The future is rebuilding and maybe without Tomlin or Colbert...

Grizzled Veteran

Postby LenSherwood » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:41 am

I don't know if the answer is really a 4-3. That defense was the only real formation for NFL teams in the 60s and 70s. The problem with it, is that when the NFL liberalized the use of the hands by offensive lineman, it neutralized the effect of the defensive lineman. When I was a kid, defensive lines and linemen were stars... heard of Joe Greene? I can't think of a superstar NFL lineman now. In the NFL presently, the best you can hope for from defensive lineman is a stalemate such that they keep blockers off your linebackers. Linebackers are more versatile athletes and it is better to have 4 of them than 3 of them.

Practice Squad

Postby sommes » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:50 pm

No superstar lineman...JJ Watt, Robert Quin, Suh, Justin Smith, Atkins, bennett in seattle, (vince wilfork).
Good defense lineman are more valuable than linebackers and can reek more havoc in todays NFL with the quicks passing games.
JJ Watt and Robert Quinn cause more problems than any linebacker currently.
Without aaron smith and casey hampton the steelers defense hasn't been the same.

I think the future is multiple front defenses that switch between 4-3 and 3-4

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:53 am

We may have seen the NFL reach it's peak with regard to the size of these guys. With the new testing policy, I'm inclined to think that teams will be lighter and faster moving forward. Actually, we've already seen this trend at some positions as the game is going more and more high tempo, no huddle. With that said, I think the 3-4 is the way to go. Your LB's need to be fast enough to provide coverage in the backfield, yet stout enough take on blocks and make tackles.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby LenSherwood » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:41 pm

The 3-4 is a multiple front defense because you can drop the two outside linebackers down to essentially make it a 50 defense. Or you can drop one backer down and make it a 4-3. That is what happened when Harrison got the interception against the Cardinals in the SB to essentially win that game. Normally he was rushing, but he dropped back into coverage and Warner didn't account for that. There are more options than putting 4 linemen on the field. Yes the problem was losing Smith--he has never been replaced I agree with that.

Return to Stillers Talk