Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Legendary Coach Chuck Noll, passes away at age 82

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Seasoned Veteran

Legendary Coach Chuck Noll, passes away at age 82

Postby DirtDawson » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:00 am

Rest in Peace, you, greatest of legends in the game...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11080 ... ll-dies-82

Grizzled Veteran

Re: Legendary Coach Chuck Noll, passes away at age 82

Postby Pommah » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:07 am

Not many men have ever had such an impact on an organization. The culture he created in Pittsburgh lives on. There was a pro football team in town before he came, and after, there was the Steelers.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:28 am

This man is a big reason why I have so many great memories growing up in Pittsburgh and watching the amazing turn around of the Steelers with my family. I will never forget Superbowl X when Noll decided to run the ball on 4th and long with about a minute left. He basically gave the ball to the Cowboys on our 40 something yard line and told the defense to win the game. I remember my grandpa, dad, and uncle screaming at Noll on TV only to erupt in joy a few moments later when the Steelers' D walked away with the victory.

Noll was a great teacher and a great man. He was full of honor, pride, and humility. It was never about him - it was always about the team and the players.

R.I.P. :cheers:

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:09 am

A sad, sad day. Coach will be missed. Pour one out, boys.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby DirtDawson » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:30 pm

Here's America's Game, 1974 Steelers.

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzc2NDc1NDIw.html

Watch it in honor of Noll.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Crucible-steel-kid » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:26 pm

I have waited for a little while before posting on this, the Saddest of Days and Losses for those of us in Steelers Nation: the passing of Coach Noll.

I think these formative years of the League and the significant contributions made by Coach Noll and the Steelers have really been given short shrift by N.F.L. Films. I can guaran-fucking-tee you I will not feel any level of sadness that I feel over Coach Noll's passing as for when Cowher or Momlin kicks off for the big game in the sky.

Not enough is being done to educate the youth of the Local Pittsburgh Area about Steelers history and our Significant contributions to the League. I remember the Federal lawsuit where the California courts subpoenaed Coach Noll and Dan Rooney when Al Davis & The Oakland Raiders accused Pittsburgh Players of 'playing dirty'. Those bastards tried pinning Noll into a corner by admitting on record that our squad played dirty football. Tough guy Ozzie Newsome & Jack Tatum wanted to avoid guilt by focusing on Steelers players ... thus the 5 yard bump rule on wide receivers.

Another example of lost trivia , my dad instructed me and my sister that Art Rooney Senior told the League: "no, I don't want the Steelers to be known as America's team, I want them to be known as Pittsburgh's team." How many 'Steeler Fans' know about this? Huh? How many? Not very many. But this isn't about Art Rooney Senior, it's about Coach Noll.

Before, Let me say it again: BEFORE.

Before we lose any more of these guys to age or whatever, why the Fuck doesn't K.D.K.A. or W.T.A.E. get those overpaid sports pricks to go and produce a GOD DAMN STEELERS HISTORY DOCUMENTARY AND MASS MARKET IT ALREADY???? These guys were legendary and This Team is one that WILL NEVER BE REPRODUCED - EVER!!! Free agency saw to that.

I know the arguments about letting the Defense decide the outcome in those early Superbowl years and if the decision was wrong Coach Noll would be lauded as a goat just like that silly jackoff clown, Ronald McDonalds #14 in S.B. 30. The point is Noll knew his players, their character, and what he was doing and his instincts proved correct and we won making history in the process.

Alright, enough out of me, I just cannot get enough of Steelers History.

Rest In Peace Coach Noll, I remember growing up watching you guys every Sunday afternoon... :(

Return to Stillers Talk