Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Pouncey is the best center in the NFL

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Greenhorned Rookie

Pouncey is the best center in the NFL

Postby bubbybrister » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:47 pm

Not really, but the brain trust that is the Steelers front office just made him the highest paid center in the league, 5 yr 44 million. All this for a guy coming off major reconstructive surgery, who was more than adequately replaced by castoffs Fernando Velasco and Cody Wallace. Was this the best way to spend the money that was saved by cutting Woodley? Pouncey is a good player when healthy but the costs here sure outweigh the benefits.

This shouldn't come as a surprise. For whatever reason, our scouting department is sorely lacking when it comes to evaluating Oline talent. We have a history of overpaying for shit no one wants (Oliver Ross, Kemo) while letting walk real talent (Searcy, Faneca, Urbik).

Stillers.com Team

Re: Pouncey is the best center in the NFL

Postby thesteelhammer » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:42 pm

Agree. over paid big time.
hoping to hear that it is structured in a cap friendly way because as injury prone as he has been, I'm not convinced he'll be in the league in 5 years

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:14 am

I had the same gut reaction when I first heard this. However, I get the impression from players new and old that Pouncey is a huge locker room and practice leader. Based on that fact, coupled with the fact that the team likely knows more about his physical condition than I do, I will reserve disdain until I see some results, good or bad.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:44 pm

One thing I know is that I never questioned whether Webster or Dawson were at the top of their game. I can't say the same for this knucklehead. We'll have to see if he makes it more than one season without injury or stupid assed decisions off the field.

Practice Squad

Postby chucktownsteeler » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:22 pm

I think he would be a better guard than center. He was ranked the #11 or 312 center before DeCastro took his knee out. he was replaced by a journeyman center (Velasco) and then by a ball grabber (Wallace). I got an idea, let's give him $44 million dollars.

Return to Stillers Talk