Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Porter BLASTS Patriots on NFL Live about Spygate!

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Practice Squad

Porter BLASTS Patriots on NFL Live about Spygate!

Postby StillCurtain » Fri May 23, 2008 7:48 pm

Joey 'Peezy' Porter says on NFL Live, what most of us wanted to and something that the Rooney clan should have thought about:

Porter sounds off, says Patriots 'cheated' from ESPN.COM

An angry Joey Porter thinks the Patriots cheated their way to championships and the NFL's destruction of Spygate tapes suggested the league had something to hide after conducting its investigation.

"They [the Patriots] cheated, there should be an asterisk. They cheated and they got caught," the All-Pro linebacker, who spent eight seasons with the Pittsburgh Steelers before joining Miami in free agency last season, said in an interview on "NFL Live."

"Why, if you have nothing to hide, would you destroy [the evidence]? That's how I've looked at it from the beginning. Why destroy something that doesn't have to be destroyed? Let everyone know what was on the tapes. Why would you destroy them so fast?"

The Spygate investigation began after the NFL confiscated tapes from a team employee who recorded the New York Jets' defensive signals in the 2007 season opener. Coach Bill Belichick was fined $500,000; the team was fined $250,000 and forced to forfeit its 2008 first-round draft choice.

Porter called Belichick's fine a "slap on the wrist didn't fit the crime."

Since former Patriots video assistant Matt Walsh met earlier this month with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell to detail the team's illegal taping of opponents' coaching signals, Belichick has attempted to minimize Spygate's impact.

"They went from zero to 60 overnight and [Belichick] went from a good coach to a great great coach and he got caught cheating," Porter said on "NFL Live."

At a news conference on May 13, Goodell said: "I didn't accept Bill Belichick's explanation for what happened and I still don't to this day."

On May 16, Belichick told the CBS Evening News: "I made a mistake. I was wrong. I was wrong."

After meeting with Walsh, Goodell said of a further investigation: "I don't know where else I would turn, but I reserve the right to review new information if it comes up."

Walsh sent eight tapes to the league that show the Patriots recording the play-calling signals of five opponents in six games between 2000 and 2002, one of which was the 2002 AFC Championship Game that Porter's Steelers lost to New England 24-17.

"If you're to tell me that happened, there's no way I can look at it and feel like I didn't get cheated," Porter said.

Porter also said that NFL players he knows share similar sentiments about the Patriots concerning Spygate.

"Anybody I know that lost to them in big games, they're very upset about it," Porter said.
"There are Two kinds of people in life, those that like the Stillers... and those that wish they did!" - a Wise Man

Greenhorned Rookie

Re: Porter BLASTS Patriots on NFL Live about Spygate!

Postby Pittsburgh » Fri May 23, 2008 10:30 pm

Thats Just Good Stuff right there.
Love Peezy.
Miss Pz.

Still gettin a Huge Kick From Joey Though. He always will be a Steeler To Me

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Hi5Steeler » Fri May 23, 2008 10:49 pm

yep.........................

Practice Squad

Postby 955875 » Sat May 24, 2008 4:19 am

I hate the Patriots as much as anybody. And while I agree with Joey in theory, at the end of the day all that sounded like was sour grapes from a guy who lost to them twice.

Play better in big games. Dont loose big games at home over and over. Did the Chargers, Broncos, Bills, Chiefs etc. all cheat as well.

And wouldn't they actually have to have the signals ahead of time to actually have them useful in a game? I dunno, just sounded like Porter crying about loosing to them twice.

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby Pittsburgh » Sat May 24, 2008 4:24 am

Im Listening right now on the "Machine". IMO its not sour grapes, its just Real talk.

Its not the standard No comment but none the less its heartfelt, he feels cheated and thinks Bill Cellicheat is nothing but Mediocre and found to be a cheater.

Practice Squad

Postby Steelcody36 » Sat May 24, 2008 2:21 pm

We might not L O S E to them if they didn't cheat though, that's the point.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby GodfatherofSoul » Sat May 24, 2008 5:54 pm

955875 wrote:I hate the Patriots as much as anybody. And while I agree with Joey in theory, at the end of the day all that sounded like was sour grapes from a guy who lost to them twice.

Play better in big games. Dont loose big games at home over and over. Did the Chargers, Broncos, Bills, Chiefs etc. all cheat as well.

And wouldn't they actually have to have the signals ahead of time to actually have them useful in a game? I dunno, just sounded like Porter crying about loosing to them twice.

The kicker for me is that we've got contemporaneous quotes from people like Hines stating that the Patriots KNEW their calls. So, apparently there was circumstantial evidence at the time that the Pats were up to something. Playing better when the other side is cheating doesn't mean jack squat.

Practice Squad

Postby SteelProtection » Sat May 24, 2008 11:07 pm

955875 wrote:I hate the Patriots as much as anybody. And while I agree with Joey in theory, at the end of the day all that sounded like was sour grapes from a guy who lost to them twice.

So what if it's sour grapes? He makes good points about the league destroying the evidence and the punishment being a slap on the wrist. The coverup is always worse than the crime. There isn't a player in the league that wouldn't be justified for feeling just as Porter does. No matter how slight the advantage was this coach cheated for a long time and league minimized it and helped cover it up. The league comes down hard on players for cheating. 4 games suspension getting caught on roids. Why does league come down hard on players but coverup for this coach?

Practice Squad

Postby pebsr39 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:53 pm

SteelProtection wrote:

So what if it's sour grapes? He makes good points about the league destroying the evidence and the punishment being a slap on the wrist. The coverup is always worse than the crime. There isn't a player in the league that wouldn't be justified for feeling just as Porter does. No matter how slight the advantage was this coach cheated for a long time and league minimized it and helped cover it up. The league comes down hard on players for cheating. 4 games suspension getting caught on roids. Why does league come down hard on players but coverup for this coach?

:celebrate: Excellent post bro!!!!! Billacheat shoulda been fired for setting that type of example. And kraft shoulda not only lost a 1st rounder but shoulda lost em both and been fined a couple mill along with 2/3 asterisks next to the SB "wins." if u can't beat em billacheat em. FUCKING PUNKS!!!

Grizzled Veteran

Postby ILLSTILL » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:19 pm

As we all know, both the Rams and the Eagles complained about suspected "cheating".

I strongly believe had the Panthers complained about their super bowl loss to the patriots (how many yards had they gained in the first quarter or so?), this could very well be a different story.

And before you say the Panthers felt it was a clean game, it's fairly evident that the only reason they did not complain was because they were cheating as well and were caught (some of their dl were using steroids).

The fact that Porter claims other people he knows that felt beaten by the cheating were mad too almost completely defers the whole "well everybody kinda does the videotaping thing, they were just caught" theory.

In addition to that, doesn't anyone else remember how poorly the great peyton manning played against this team? Why hasn't anyone else brought up the fact they shut down the best qb in the league TWICE?!?!?!?!?!?!?

In my opinion, Peyton was unstoppable (and still is) with those receivers at that point in his career. Hell the only reason the Steelers stopped him the year after was by keeping a pass rush, not godknowshowmany interceptions.

If only more players would speak up, like porter...

Return to Stillers Talk