Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Steelers 2nd round pick Notre Dame D-lineman Stephon Tuitt.

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Stillers.com Team

Steelers 2nd round pick Notre Dame D-lineman Stephon Tuitt.

Postby thesteelhammer » Fri May 09, 2014 8:20 pm

with the 46th overall pick, the Steelers selected Notre Dame D-lineman Stephon Tuitt.
probably a DE in our system, further showing what a busts Hood and Heyward were.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/ ... id=2543483

Stillers.com Team

Re: Steelers 2nd round pick Notre Dame D-lineman Stephon Tui

Postby thesteelhammer » Fri May 09, 2014 8:26 pm

Again, I like the player, but have concerns.

This time, it's not whether he'll fit our system. I believe he is a good fit.
My concern is one of value. Not so much his value, but the value of a DE in our system.
Is a DE worth a high draft pick when we have so many other needs?
Can any rookie 3-4 DE in our system make the kind of an impact that a 2nd round WR could make?

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Fri May 09, 2014 8:38 pm

When I say "not so much his value", I mean:
He was projected to go 2nd round by many, and I think he'll be a good player for the Steelers.
I'm just saying he might not show up in the box score due to our system.

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Fri May 09, 2014 8:49 pm

Solid, but unspectacular pick.

Practice Squad

Postby steelhardend » Fri May 09, 2014 9:05 pm

agree hammer, we ask our ends for a lot but they don't get the big headlines, these picks really have to work, or this team is gonna be set back, :oops:

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Fri May 09, 2014 9:09 pm

steelhardend wrote:agree hammer, we ask our ends for a lot but they don't get the big headlines, these picks really have to work, or this team is gonna be set back, :oops:

Welcome to the board.
I completely agree. Can't afford any busts this year.

Practice Squad

Postby steelhardend » Fri May 09, 2014 9:33 pm

Thanks for the welcome. I am just hopeful they end their draft with the best quality players for the teams needs, a WR,CB. There are still some good TE available.

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Fri May 09, 2014 9:36 pm

I think we can find productive WRs still, and maybe a nickel or dime DB, but we really need another starting CB and I'd be shocked if we found one that can take over this year.
we can find a steeler type TE also....you know, one that can block :sufootballhelmet:

Practice Squad

Postby steelhardend » Fri May 09, 2014 9:56 pm

thesteelhammer wrote:I think we can find productive WRs still, and maybe a nickel or dime DB, but we really need another starting CB and I'd be shocked if we found one that can take over this year.
we can find a steeler type TE also....you know, one that can block :sufootballhelmet:

LOL, a Steeler TE, like Mr. Speath, (think I spelled his name right) but starting CB are very thin at this time, you have Breeland from Clemson, he is small (height) Maybe McGill from Utah, he has size, but I am unsure of his playmaking abilities

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelers76 » Fri May 09, 2014 10:05 pm

I have a feeling this will be Colbert's last Steeler Draft here....

...or at least I hope that's the case.

Hall of Famer

Postby PGHeaven » Fri May 09, 2014 10:44 pm

Looks like they are drafting for 2-3 years down the road. OR they have their heads up their rectums. I think we are going to get burned for mega passing yards this season

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Sat May 10, 2014 12:14 am

I posted on another thread earlier this offseason that some of the moves made (Munchak, Porter, Mitchell et al.) seemed to possibly indicate that the team was finally recognizing the soon-to-be-closed window of opportunity we have with a true, SB winning franchise QB.

I take it back. These two draft picks seem to clearly indicate that the Steelers' brass bet money on the fucking Bungles winning the North the next three years. I'm disgusted.

A 4-3 ILB who will probably not start for two to three years, if then, and a DE that probably won't play (let alone have any real impact) for a year or two. Brilliant. Way to put the best possible team together after back to back playoff-less seasons.

Did any of the fucking geniuses in the front office notice we ranked 24th in pass D last year, giving up over 220 yards per game through the air and 21 pass TDs to only 10 picks? Way to shore up the weak spots, shitheads. I know the front end of the D can make the back end look better or worse, respectively, but it is clear we having gaping holes in our secondary while we have some (some) depth on the front end. I'm never watching a draft again. It's more frustrating than watching our red zone D last year...

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Sat May 10, 2014 10:40 am

I'm not as disappointed in the offseason as most of you seem to be.

First of all, the biggest reason we were getting torched was the lack of any pressure on opposing QB's, thus making average QB's look like Danny Marino. Adding Shazier makes a ton of sense when you consider their greatest weakness. It's no coincidence that the pass D improved with emergence of Worilds' pass rush. Without good line play from the 3 guys up front, the LB's can't do shit so they drafted a guy lilke Tuitt.

The 2nd biggest reason or area we were getting torched was on the short crossers and dumpoffs. Again, adding Timmon's faster little brother will go a long way to improve this.

The 3rd biggest problem was Clark. Well, they addressed that too and got much younger at the position with Mitchell.

We have 2 decent corners in Ike and Allen and a bunch of guys the brought in to compete for the remaining spots. We still have many picks to go as well.

IMO, it's more imperative to get pressure on the QB. The secondary took too much blame for the shitty pass D. They were not even getting hands in the QB's face or disrupting plays at all. Once Heyward and Worilds started getting pressure, the defense drastically improved.
Last edited by SoCal Stiller on Sat May 10, 2014 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Sat May 10, 2014 10:45 am

One more thing.... As I type, every NFL team is searching for the next Gronkowski or Vernon Davis. This fact alone makes the Shazier pick worth it. If Timmons covers the TE, you still have Shazier near the LOS and vice versa.

:subngtowl:

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Sat May 10, 2014 2:07 pm

I sure hope you're right, SoCal. As I indicated on another post, I am not blind to the fact that the front end of the defense can make the back end look good or bad, and I agree that our pass rush has been non-existent basically since the departure of Deebo.

I'm just not sure that in the limited round nature of the draft that getting an ILB in round 1 was a fix for our most pressing need RIGHT NOW, let alone a guy who is used to a 4-3. Nor do I think rounds 2 or 3 addressed immediate needs with players who can be expected to fill them anytime soon. I could be wrong. I hope I am.

You spoke of the emergence of Worilds' pass rush. I feel inclined to point out that "emergence" didn't happen until mid-way through his FOURTH YEAR. Ben will be 35 or so by that stage of Shazier's career if he even pans out...

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Sat May 10, 2014 2:35 pm

"You spoke of the emergence of Worilds' pass rush. I feel inclined to point out that "emergence" didn't happen until mid-way through his FOURTH YEAR. Ben will be 35 or so by that stage of Shazier's career if he even pans out..."

I hear ya, but he rarely saw the field because of the incumbent LB's. He doesn't have an overpaid, overrated. fatass waste like Lemarr and a stud like JH in front of him. Besides, I think they were trying to pound a square peg in a round hole with trying to force him to the other side. That ILB spot next to Timmons is there waiting for him. I suspect he will see the field in a timeline similar to Timmons, maybe quicker due to his great speed having an impact on sub packages.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Sat May 10, 2014 3:53 pm

As I said earlier, I hope you're right. This one instance where I would love to be wrong.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Pump-N-Iron » Mon May 12, 2014 8:11 am

Does anyone realize how rare it is to find a 5T DE who could possibly start right out of college? Brett Keisel is still unsigned and may retire. Cam Heyward is solid, but other than that, do you really want to put our hopes in Ziggy Hood? This guy fits our system, can plug an immediate hole up the middle, stacks and sheds, gets pocket push, bats down passes, and there are still questions about this pick? I don't think so. This guy was made to play in this defense.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Mon May 12, 2014 11:51 am

Well, I guess I will admit my lack of football savvy. I don't do this for a living and many people who do seem to think the Steelers fared well in this draft. I (perhaps wrongly) assumed that the biggest holes that needed immediate filling were a cover corner and a legit WR to take some doubles off of AB. When that didn't seem to happen it felt like they were wasting picks on lesser needs with guys who we might not see for 2-3 years.
I don't know if you guys remember what it was like before BR7, but we weren't winning a whole lot of important games. I am beginning to fear that the window is closing on Ben and I would love to get at least one more Lombardi before he goes. Long-term picks don't seem to take that into account. Who knows? Maybe the coaches will pepper these guys in more liberally in year one than they have in the past.
Let's hope Tui can get busy Stuh-FON the run...

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Mon May 12, 2014 12:34 pm

Hey Iron. I have good news for you and something to make your monday....
Ziggy Hood is gone.

You're welcome

:surockin:

Next

Return to Stillers Talk