Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Epic Confrontations

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Grizzled Veteran

Epic Confrontations

Postby LenSherwood » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:16 am

Palmer Sucks: Outstanding article. I am old enough to remember the 1970s and today's NFL doesn't match it for me anyway. You are dead on-- the 1970s Steelers level of greatness is a product of the great teams they had to beat. Just like Ali had Frazier to raise his level of greatness, there is no equivalent of the teams the Steelers beat to win Super Bowls. And Bum Phillips was a great guy and as you mention a genius. It was impossible to hate him even in competition.

Glad you are back writing and keep your stuff coming.

Grizzled Veteran

Re: Epic Confrontations

Postby SoCal Stiller » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:51 pm

I DVR'd most of Steeler's dynasty week on the NFL network a few weeks back. They had everything from top ten Steelers of all time to full length game coverage of all the SB's. I too am old enough to remember our first superbowl. Watching those games brought back some great family memories from back home. There is just no comparison in the quality of play from then to now. Lambert was all over the place and looked as if he were 7 ft tall!

The other day I caught full game coverage of SB III between the Colts and Jets. What really stood out to me was the improvement of TV coverage and picture quality from that game to SB IX.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Pommah » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:00 pm

It was a different time. The rules led to what I call the "dynasty" era, where it took quite a while to build up a quality team, and once you did, you were there for a while. The Steelers were the best, but teams like the Cowboys, Raiders, Dolphins, all had legitimate claims to being among the very best. The Oilers never won a championship, but those poor bastards were stuck in our division, and no doubt, they were good, but the Steelers were better. Unlike PalmerSucks, I think that Houston guy was out of the end zone, and the refs got it right. Plus, we beat them by more than a TD, my recollection (could be faulty).

Am I the only who thinks today's best teams would knock the sox off the old guys? The players are bigger, faster, stronger; maybe its better living through chemistry, but size always wins in this game. Do I like the game better than the old one? A resounding no.

Practice Squad

Postby PalmerSucks » Thu May 08, 2014 6:16 pm

Pommah wrote:Unlike PalmerSucks, I think that Houston guy was out of the end zone, and the refs got it right. Plus, we beat them by more than a TD, my recollection (could be faulty).

You're watching things through black-and-gold colored glasses. Renfro dragged both feet in bounds with possession, and Houston got robbed of a touchdown. Go back and watch the play again.

That play came in the third quarter though, and would have just tied things with plenty of time to go. You certainly could argue that being denied the TD ruined Houston's momentum, but I just think the Stillers were too good at making the big plays when they had to late, and would've won the game. But we'll never really know.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Pommah » Tue May 13, 2014 9:38 am

You're right PS, that play should have been a touchdown. My recollection was that Renfro kind of let the ball slide a bit in his arms and really wasn't in full control as he went out of bounds, but an NFL films video on youtube that I watched a couple of times made me think he had it well enough. One hell of a throw and catch.

They say home field advantage is worth 7 points, and there were the 7 for that day.

Return to Stillers Talk