Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » How Long before Woodley is out ?

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Grizzled Veteran

How Long before Woodley is out ?

Postby Ohio » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:31 am

Transition Tag for Worilids.

How Long before we cut Fat Lamarr ?

I would think that they make a long deal with Worilids ( 5 years 35 milions ) and then next year we cut Wodley. No point in doing it now as we don't save any cap space in doing it.

What do you think ?

Hall of Famer

Re: How Long before Woodley is out ?

Postby isfry » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:42 pm

You're probably right. Plus, the combination of the addition of JP on the sidelines and a little fire under Woodley's ass, considering he's already been essentially labeled as the second string ROLB, might actually give Fat LaMarr a reason to work hard. Heck, moving to the blind side may even give him a dong sack or two, except that if he can't shed a block from a second string rookie tight end on the weak side, I don't expect him to see much daylight against starting left tackles. Either way, you're right. His contract is structured in such a way that we gain nothing by dumping him right now.
Last edited by isfry on Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Pommah » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:32 am

I think there is something to be gained by dumping Fat LaMarr right now. It would be sending a message to all the other players, that yes, we do in fact pay the guys who perform, and get rid of the ones who don't, even when it costs us. We can't afford to have guys like that hanging around because it costs the team in "intangibles" even if the monetary loss is quite tangible.

A good friend of mine who follows this shit to an unbelievable level of detail says that when the cap is growing, you can blow through it with impunity. I think that's why the Steelers waited to do anything until after the owners' meeting, when the cap officially got raised.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Still Peon » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:36 pm

Ohio wrote:How Long before we cut Fat Lamarr?

And the answer is......June 1st

http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-stee ... rr-woodley
Scott Brown | ESPN.com wrote:The Steelers could push a significant amount of Woodley’s salary-cap hit into next year if they designate him a post-June 1 cut. They could also ask him to take a significant pay cut to return to Pittsburgh in 2014.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:19 pm

June 1st. Sweeeeeet. Christmas comes early this year.
:suplusone:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:48 pm

I heard rumblings (can't remember where), but apparently fat Lamarr has been working his arse off in the offseason. It may be a case of too little too late. If he passes the eyeball test and physicals when he reports then they just may keep him. If we could transfer some of his extra weight to Jarvis they would be the perfect pair! Worilds showed he was the best at either position last season.

:surockin:

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Ed Burns » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:15 am

I was reading if they cut him now, his dead money will only count for this year. $16 Million in dead money this year. How's that any different than the last three years Fat LaMarr has had? He's been dead money for the last 3 years...

Still Peon wrote:

Scott Brown | ESPN.com wrote:The Steelers could push a significant amount of Woodley’s salary-cap hit into next year if they designate him a post-June 1 cut. They could also ask him to take a significant pay cut to return to Pittsburgh in 2014.

This is definitely better option rather than cutting him now, and putting $16 Million in the Dead Money pool. Still, having him count for only one year is better than seeing Willie Colon's name on the Dead Money list for the third year in a row. When does he come off that list? 2016??? :sutimebomb:
Last edited by Ed Burns on Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Ed Burns » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:26 am

Ed Burns wrote:I was reading if they cut him now, his dead money will only count for this year. $16 Million in dead money this year. How's that any different than the last three years Fat LaMarr has had?

Still Peon wrote:

This is definitely better option rather than cutting him now, and putting $16 Million in the Dead Money pool. Still, having him count for only one year is better than seeing Willie Colon's name on the Dead Money list for the third year in a row. When does he come off that list? 2016??? :sutimebomb:
Can one of the mods please delete this post. I hit the wrong option while editing my post above this one.

Practice Squad

Postby MaxiPadStarks » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:53 pm

To answer the question....about 24 hours.

"Steelers will release LB LaMarr Woodley at 4 ET Tuesday, designate him a post June 1 casualty, per source. He will be free to sign Tuesday."

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:40 pm

How do they do that? Is it just semantics, or does it actually save them the $16M in cap space, despite the fact that he will be "released" in March, not post June 1?

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ohio » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:51 pm

MaxiPadStarks wrote:To answer the question....about 24 hours.

"Steelers will release LB LaMarr Woodley at 4 ET Tuesday, designate him a post June 1 casualty, per source. He will be free to sign Tuesday."

Wow... Let's see what happens tomorrow but I didn't see this coming THIS FAST

What is Mill going to write about ?

I cannot believe this is happening NOW.

I think they are finally getting something RIGHT.
This is the right message to the rest of the guys. If you do not play you are OUT

Return to Stillers Talk