Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Sup Bowl Recap

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Stillers.com Team

Sup Bowl Recap

Postby StillMill » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:16 am

Sup Bowl Recap has been posted by Still Mill at Stillers.com.

Grizzled Veteran

Re: Sup Bowl Recap

Postby Ohio » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:43 am

StillMill wrote:http://stillers.com/Article/View/18977445-4cf9-4cde-8731-8ee7cbf8564b has been posted by Still Mill at Stillers.com.

Good article Mill. Just a quick thoughts :

1) Manning was playing to be considered the best ever. Win - he gets in the discussion, lose - he is out.
He will stay like the best regular season QB ever. But, as I said a few weeks back, his playcalling and style is too soft in this type of games. Also his arm, which was already the NFL weakest arm, seems to be finished. I don't know... But I believe that even if he comes back next year he is not strong enough to make the throws neeeded. Ok, he didn't have time... But you didn't see not even once a good thrown deep ball or a "fast" down the seam throw. To me he is finished.

2) Wilson is a great QB with all the tools. I do not remember who called him a dwarf in another thread... The big thing about this guy... He is 5-10 and he never gets the ball tipped. While you will see it even with Ben once in a while, you never seen him having this problem

3) Ok ... Seattle is faster, bigger, stronger... But let's be serious now. Who doesn't think that they are on steroids ?
It is clear they dope. No way it is all natural. No way. I will go even further. It is a team's program. Yes, it is a Seattle Seahawks way of doing business. I'm 100 % sure about it. The thing that other teams will copy is the way to dope your players. Let's not forget that Sherman was suspended and the other CB ( I forgot his name ) is suspended... I think they are all on something.

4) I know it sounds strange... But I have high hopes with us. If Munchak is 50% the guy I believe he is we will win a lot of games next year...

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ohio » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:53 am

One last thing I forgot :

-) They always tell you the importance of "experience" in life. Another BullS.... Yesterday Seattle didn't have one player with SuperBowl experience. Denver had 5. Including Peyton Manning. Experience taught him so well that the FIRST PLAY was a botched snap. Why ? Because they didn't think that the FIRST PLAY could have been a very very loud one.

You don't need first hand experience in life. You just need to have smart people by your side

Seasoned Veteran

Postby fred » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:36 pm

What do NO, the Giants twice and Seattle all have in common? A 4-3 Defense where the front four got pressure. Please let Mr. LeBeau know. In all these SBs these 4-3 faced a high flying qb. The pressure they generated forced the O to keep an extra blocker in the backfield giving the 4-3 d a 7man to 4 man advantage in the secondary. That is almost double coverage on the four remaining players the high flying o has left. Seattles pressure allowed their secondary to double Mannings first two reads. They were on him by his third read.
our 3-4 needs to go away like the run shoot.
Facetiously, I wish Colbert and LeBeau would draft 7 DL and sign more off free agents list.
I have seen Every Super Bowl. Denver's performance last night was pitiful. The worst since the Broncos stunk up the joint against the 49ers.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby LenSherwood » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:44 pm

Ohio-- you raise an interesting point about whether the Seahawks were doping.. it is pretty well established that you can beat more extensive testing than what the NFL does--check me if I am wrong, they don't want a urine or blood sample regularly and before and after each game. Other athletes have beaten that level of testing... Sherman did seem to be awfully angry after the SFR game.

I was thinking about placing a luke warm bet on Denver until I read your post Mill... you save me a C note. Thank you.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Still Peon » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:25 am

I would like to mention that despite the lop-sided score, the Denver D did their job. Say all you want about the Doncs offense and STs shitting the bed, but the defense didn't let "Beast Mode" Lynch break off any huge runs (39 yds on 15 carries), and despite being on the field for what seemed like 90% of the game, managed to limit the Hags offense to 29 pts, even with the turnover machine they call their offense consistently sticking them with horrible field position. As far as I'm concerned, in the current age of high-scoring football, an opposing score of 29 doesn't put a W that far out of reach. Unfortunately, I've had the misfortune of having to say the same thing about our Stillers in the last few seasons, having been treated to equally sickening performances out of the O and STs, on sadly more than 1 occasion. Some writers are claiming that Carroll intentionally ran the ball less often as part of an overall strategy, but I saw the game, and Marshawn ran fucking no where but into a wall of Broncos. I'm no Doncs fan, but I have to give some respect to their defense, despite generating no turnovers.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ohio » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:33 am

LenSherwood wrote:Ohio-- you raise an interesting point about whether the Seahawks were doping.. it is pretty well established that you can beat more extensive testing than what the NFL does--check me if I am wrong, they don't want a urine or blood sample regularly and before and after each game. Other athletes have beaten that level of testing... Sherman did seem to be awfully angry after the SFR game.

I was thinking about placing a luke warm bet on Denver until I read your post Mill... you save me a C note. Thank you.

Len It is amazing that in BASEBALL where the physical part is not as important as in Football you hade a lot of players doping. Steroids, PED, HGH... Whatever it is all the same to me. It is cheating.

Ok. In Baseball you need to be stronger, quicker, etc. Well In Football a lot of positions are only about that.

How can a guy like Sherman, a 3rd Round pick, with 10 Cornerbacks taken in front of him, improve this much in just ONE SUMMER?

I mean... The entire Seattle Roster is made up with low rounds , no-name guys. It is one thing if one improves. Here we are talking about an entire team.

The physical dominance they had on Denver was unbelievable. And they both had two weeks. It looked like The Broncos O Line was a High JV.

I don't believe that. The problem starts at the top. In many other sports if they catch you once you are suspended 2 or 4 years ( Remember Ben Johnson at the 1988 Olympics ?).

In the NFL if they catch you one time you are suspended 4 games... Come on, that is just a month.... This is inviting players to use some "help".

Len , as you said, there is no blood testing. HGH can ONLY be tracked with blood testing.

Nobody wants to talk about it. Darren Sharper alleges that 50 % of the players use HGH.

Let's not forget : When they catch somebody the NFL doesn't say what they have been taking. Go search for Justin Blackmon... What did he take ? You will never find out. So the public perception is better. We might think the guy is smoking pot... And , strangely enough, it looks better for the integrity of the game. It is the same thing that happens in the Superbowl with refereeing. They don't throw the flags anymore. Why ? It looks a much more "cleaner" game when in reality it is not. NFL wants feel good stories. But think about it for a second :

Peyton Manning returns from FOUR NECK SURGERIES - INCLUDING THE FUSING OF TWO VERTEBRAE

Ray Lewis returns two months after tearing his triceps and accumulates 51 tackles

Terrel Suggs returns FIVE MONTHS after tearing his Achilles tendon despite the average rehabiliation for the injury is ELEVEN MONTHS

Adrian Peterson returns from an MCL and ACL and sets career high in the NFL single-season rushing

This is the last three years.

It is the same story as concussions. Ten years ago if a player went out with a "concussion" he was weak. Now every week there are about 12 players taken out of the game. That is 2013. Do you know what the number was in 2009 ? 5 players...

Steroids is the same story as concussion. The only difference is that the NFL doesn't have the Senate investing. So we will never find out. Again... If they don't tell us what the guy are suspended on... We might think they are only some pot smoking light-head dumbs... But if we start realizing that what we are watching might not be "natural" or "regular" well... Our heroes might looks much smaller that they really are

Seasoned Veteran

Postby fred » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:01 pm

Some of the 70's Steelers doped also. It became clear when they eventually went beserck. However if Marshawn Lunch becomes any more cross-eyed you have to start wondering. An incredible history of 4 year drafting, what did Pete moss christmas Carroll run from at USC, an intensity in the players not seen since Lawrence Taylor, it seems impossible to believe that they are NOT doping. I wanted to believe Schneider was a genius at recognizing talent. I think that he knows that his team is on drugs and he wants to join Belichek in the Black Sox HOF

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Still Peon » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:54 pm

fred wrote:I think that he knows that his team is on drugs and he wants to join Belichek in the Black Sox HOF

:lol:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Pommah » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:18 pm

1. Carroll had to know there was some cheatin' going on while he was at USC.
2. The NFL hates to not have its stars playing. Thus the emphasis on the QB's not getting hurt, the penalties on smacking a "defenseless receiver" (at one time, smacking the receiver as hard as you could BECAUSE he was defenseless was part of the game), etc. I can believe the NFL is looking the other way about the use of HGH (because it is a legitimate drug for speeding the healing process - when prescribed by a doctor for extreme cases, like car crash victims, etc.) because it gets stars back on the field sooner. And if a few guys want to pump it up a few notches, well wuddya gonna do aboudit....
3. If the NFL was serious about it, they would require blood testing, not just pissing in a jar. They don't.
4. I will assume Ohio is right, all these studs on the Seattle D sorta came out of nowhere
5. Combine these, and yeah, I can believe the Seahags are pushing the envelope on doping.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ohio » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:29 am

fred wrote:Some of the 70's Steelers doped also. It became clear when they eventually went beserck. However if Marshawn Lunch becomes any more cross-eyed you have to start wondering. An incredible history of 4 year drafting, what did Pete moss christmas Carroll run from at USC, an intensity in the players not seen since Lawrence Taylor, it seems impossible to believe that they are NOT doping. I wanted to believe Schneider was a genius at recognizing talent. I think that he knows that his team is on drugs and he wants to join Belichek in the Black Sox HOF

Steelers of the 70s... Check this out http://thebiglead.com/2014/02/04/alan-f ... -marathon/

The writer says that he is on a new diet... Well I just wonder what he had in old diet. Sorry...
The point I am trying to make is the following >

How much of what we are seeing is REAL ... How much of what we are seeing is without CHEATING... How much trust can we have in the NFL after the concussion scandal * Let-s not open the others... Spygate and so on...

Sunday I was seriously pissed off. The worst Superbowl ever. To me it looked like The Seahawks took something. Also I didn-t like the fact that the referees were not throwing any flags. It looked like they wanted to give a clean perception to the casual fan. When it was not. There were plenty of uncalled penalties.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Still Peon » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:51 am

Ohio wrote:Sunday I was seriously pissed off. The worst Superbowl ever.

I felt the same way, and said the exact same thing.......except I said "Of All Time." It's apples and apples.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelers76 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:59 am

I agree with your assessment of The Seacocks WR Corps as it relates to the undervalued Steelers 1995 crew that helped lead the team to an AFC Title. And just think, they were missing a healthy Sydney Rice as well.

But I caution some others that have already labeled this Seattle Team a Dynasty that could win 2-3 Super Bowls when all is said and done; I thought the same thing of The Green Bay Team after they beat The Steelers in The 2010 Super Bowl. Since then? 1 playoff win. ONE. Just sayin.....

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Pommah » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:57 am

'76, I like your point, and let me posit that the reason is the salary cap. It's incredibly hard to keep the team together, what the military calls "unit cohesion" with the cap where it is. Somebody's gonna get screwed. Look at the Ratbirds, they give Flaccid his payday, can't keep a bunch of the contributors around, don't even make the playoffs.

The cap is way too low given the $$$ching the owners are making, and no one is calling them on it. True, the players are doing alright for themselves, but I like to see working class guys getting paid, and all the owners are already billionaires. And the money comes for our paying ridiculous ticket prices and having to watch 2.5 hours of commercials to see 30 minutes of action on the TV.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ohio » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:50 am

But I just wanted to add the final Point :

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10413 ... ijuana-use

At 0:29 Ryan Clark basically says that tests are > During OTAs > Early in Training camp

After that... Enjoy your season.

What do you think happens ?

Ok... Now I stop. Or I will sound annoying

By the way Clark says that he knows people in the Steelers locker room using it. So I do not expect him back ( he should not expect himself back, otherwise what he said is just plain stup id ).

Practice Squad

Postby steelcitysouth » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:01 pm

Great Write up Mill. I have been telling everyone who thinks Brady and Manning walk on water, pressure them, get them out of sync and they are average NFL qb's. What did the NY Giants do when they beat the Pussies twice in the Superbowl?
And I can't believe I am saying this, but look at what the Steelers did in 2005 when they went into Indy and beat Manning with J. Porter playing lights out.

To put it simply, Lebeau couldn't match what Seattle put on the field last Sunday regarding TACKLING, ASSIGNMENTS,
DISGUISED PRESSURE etc.....did I miss anything else? We will have along way to go.

In regards to the pot issue:
Obviously no one on here knows me, but I can tell you from a very close acquaintance, Jarvis Jones needs to slow down on the pot smoking. It was all day, every day during the season. Please don't ask me how I know. I wish I didn't. I hope he steps up big time and proves he was worth a no. 1 draft pick.

Hall of Famer

Postby PGHeaven » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:41 pm

The DopeHawks also had TONS of Bulletin Board material for two solid weeks. Manning this Manning that. I think the media is savvy to this fact and knew they were enraging the Dopers. They were like a pack of Lions that had been starved of meat.

Return to Stillers Talk