Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Steelers Hire Munchak

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Grizzled Veteran

Steelers Hire Munchak

Postby Steelers76 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:26 am

The Steelers hired Hall Of Fame OL and former Tenn. Titans H.C. Mike Munchak to be The Offensive Line Coach.

I find this extremely funny, considering he just turned down The Cleveland Browns offer to be their Head Coach. Then again, I don't blame him one bit. Thoughts?

Grizzled Veteran

Re: Steelers Hire Munchak

Postby SoCal Stiller » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:54 am

I absolutely love this hire. What's not to like? He has PA roots, went to Penn St., and went to the pro bowl nearly every season he was in the league. This guy's resume speaks for itself. I can't wait to see what he does with Adams. I think he has the potential to be very good next season as long as he avoids being stabbed again.

Fuckin stoked!!!! :celebrate:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Pommah » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:59 pm

Strategy on coaching hires seems to be picking up failed head coaches, rather than promoting a young buck. Wonder if its going to pan out

Dick LeBeau
Todd Haley
Mike Munchak

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ohio » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:47 pm

Pommah wrote:Strategy on coaching hires seems to be picking up failed head coaches, rather than promoting a young buck. Wonder if its going to pan out

Dick LeBeau
Todd Haley
Mike Munchak

I don't care what result he had HC ( very poor by the way...). We need a good OL coach. And I hope we got one. Honestly I don't expect us to draft any O Lineman now. We have already spent enough picks. Time to work and develop talent

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:44 pm

My favorite quote from the Gazette article is as follows:

"During his tenure as line coach of the Titans, Munchak taught the zone blocking scheme the Steelers want to use but abandoned after their loss to Tennessee."

Ha! If you can't beat 'em, sign 'em!
:suplusone:

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:47 pm

I also like what rb's did under his tenure at Tenn. (Tenn-ure?)
That can only bode well for Bell, from whom I expect GREAT things..

Grizzled Veteran

Postby LenSherwood » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:37 pm

LIKE IT :suplusone: You can't argue with a guy with that long an experience, pro bowl appearance, and I like PA roots.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:57 pm

Pommah wrote:Strategy on coaching hires seems to be picking up failed head coaches, rather than promoting a young buck. Wonder if its going to pan out

Dick LeBeau
Todd Haley
Mike Munchak

I agree with you with respect to hiring retreads as HC. However, when a guy like Munchak lands on your doorstep as a position coach or coordinator, you have to jump on it. Again, I love this hire!

:sudancin: :surockin: :sudancin: :surockin: :subngtowl: :surockin: :sudancin: :surockin: :sudancin:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby LenSherwood » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:17 pm

Pommah-- as a line coach Munchak has a sterling pedigree. He had a great career at Penn St, 9 pro bowls as an NFL lineman, two decades in the NFL as a coach.

Now I am not so sure about the zone blocking stuff. Could you run the ball more effectively than the traditional schemes with power and traps led by an ass kicking full back that Cowher used? I see the point of zones--yes, let the back pick his running lane. But the Steelers running game with Bettis and a much better offensive line controlled the game. With that zone stuff, you are trying to get the most out of smaller, less talented lineman..and also cheaper. Yeah I get it. But is it that much better?

But Munchak-- like this one and plus he is a fellow "ski"... I like to see my soul brothers succeed.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ohio » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:05 am

I was thinking... Maybe they hired Munchak not just for OL.

Maybe they taught that next year Haley might be gone... And here goes Munchak with his running game.

We know that if it was for the Rooneys we would run 75% of the time.

I know that Munchak doesn't have any experience playcalling ( for as strange as it might sound )... But... Well I do not know... Maybe they saw him this way. Excellent pick for the OL and then...

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:25 pm

Interesting thought, Ohio. However, I hate to admit it, because I was displeased with the Haley hire and unimpressed with the early results, but I think he did a good job down the stretch. If he was brought in to keep Ben upright and reinitiate a run game, he had his work cut out for him on both fronts in the first quarter of the season, due at least in part to injuries and upheaval on the O-line. That having been said, Ben got sacked very little in the second half, Bell had lanes to run in, and the team went 6-2. I originally picked 12-4 as our record in 2013. If we had played as well in the first half as we did in the second, I would have been right. I think Haley is working out OK.

Who knows, tho? You could be right, maybe this was at least a hire that says to Haley, you should listen to this guy a little in play calling and scheming, at least as far as the ground game goes. We'll see. Either way, I LOVE the hire.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Pommah » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:25 pm

yeah Ohio that is an interesting thought.

If the Stillers have a good year next year someone might come after Haley for another shot as HC as well.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:32 pm

Pommah wrote:If the Stillers have a good year next year someone might come after Haley for another shot as HC as well.

That's the spirit, Pommah. Maybe they hired Munchak to succeed Haley in 2015, because they knew Haley would get cherry picked after the Steelers win Super Bowl IL.

:suplusone:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Pommah » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:17 pm

If you look at Haley's accomplishments for the year, Ben didn't get hurt during the season for the first time in forever, he had one of his most productive years and that was behind yet another makeshift line, didn't have a threat at the TE position, and developed a rook running back into a legitimate threat. Without the first four games, they were a .667 team, which equates to an 11 win game on a full schedule, usually good enough for the playoffs. How many of those first four games can be laid on having to develop a new center, and on giving up the "zone blocking" scheme that they had worked on all training camp?

I think Haley was elevated before he was ready to a HC position, and then it was with a mediocre franchise. If he has a good season next year, he will have a lot of the credentials a decent franchise would be looking for in a HC.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:52 pm

Pommah wrote: How many of those first four games can be laid on having to develop a new center, and on giving up the "zone blocking" scheme that they had worked on all training camp?

Plus having our starting running back out for those first four games, as well. Lest we forget, we basically went into the season expecting Bell to be the starter, and cut Dwyer, who had been our most productive back the year before (when he could hang onto the ball.) Trying to figure out where each O-lineman would lineup, what blocking scheme they would be employing, who would be running behind them, and with what style, was a lot to figure out in four weeks. I agree that Haley did a more than serviceable job after the month of August. Heck, even the problems we did have in the last 3/4 of the season were usually defensive.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Ed Burns » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:34 pm

Steelers76 wrote:The Steelers hired Hall Of Fame OL and former Tenn. Titans H.C. Mike Munchak to be The Offensive Line Coach.

I find this extremely funny, considering he just turned down The Cleveland Browns offer to be their Head Coach. Then again, I don't blame him one bit. Thoughts?

I'm happy with this hire. Let's see what he can do with this unit who down the stretch of 2013, looked pretty good at times.

Munchak turning down the Browns HC offer is funny to me too. Munchak knows that job opportunity has a 1 to 2 year lifespan possibility. I'm pretty sure that if he gets the best performance out of the Steelers O-Line, he's guaranteed a job in the Burgh for as long as he wants.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:42 pm

Ed Burns wrote:I'm pretty sure that if he gets the best performance out of the Steelers O-Line, he's guaranteed a job in the Burgh for as long as he wants.

plus, if he performs well at Pitt he can probably open a lot better doors than the shit job in Cleveland he was offered...

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Ed Burns » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:27 pm

isfry wrote:
Ed Burns wrote:I'm pretty sure that if he gets the best performance out of the Steelers O-Line, he's guaranteed a job in the Burgh for as long as he wants.

plus, if he performs well at Pitt he can probably open a lot better doors than the shit job in Cleveland he was offered...

Agreed.

Let's put it this way, if I was offered a coaching position with the Browns, I'd rather I get a job at McDonald's... Better job security... Well, better job.

Return to Stillers Talk