Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » any questions?

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Hall of Famer

any questions?

Postby isfry » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:22 pm

Rooney II weighs in on Tomlin's terrific coaching down the stretch, while basically absolving him of the 0-4 (0-8) start.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/ ... f9597b5aff

Also, I thought we basically HAD to restructure Ben by resigning him this offseason for cap reasons. No?

Grizzled Veteran

Re: any questions?

Postby Ohio » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:11 am

isfry wrote:Rooney II weighs in on Tomlin's terrific coaching down the stretch, while basically absolving him of the 0-4 (0-8) start.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/ ... f9597b5aff

Also, I thought we basically HAD to restructure Ben by resigning him this offseason for cap reasons. No?

Well... I saw some other interview where he basically said that LeBeau will come back if he wants.

I do not know what to think or hope. This team is heading towards mediocrity. Anyway the entire AFC basically sucks. And if you take in consideration that Peyton is 37 and Brady 36... Well If you ask me who is going to be top in 3 years time... I have no clue. Only the Colts seem to be well positioned because they have a young good QB and a very very weak division. Titans, Texans and Jags ? Come on man... That is a free pass to 8 playoffs in the next 10 years...

Baltimore will start sucking. They will have to cut Suggs this year thanks to the great Flucco deal. Us? I don't know. Let's hope we get some good ILB and a very good TE

Grizzled Veteran

Postby LenSherwood » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:47 pm

As Ohio said this team is nothing but mediocre. I see a couple of positives-- the offensive line was not as shitty as usual in Tomlin's era. Since he has been coach you have shaked your head and asked what the fuck were they thinking, especially at left tackle. This Bell kid seems like he may be a good back, barring injury. Brown has played well even though he got the big contract. Roethelisburger's play got more consistent by the end of the year as he wasn't turning the ball over constantly. The offense isn't going to scare other defensive coordinators to death, but it started to score consistently. The defense though...ugh.. Timmons usually comes to play and Heyward came on. After that you got problems--aging players, salary cap issues, no impact players anymore and of course LeBeau hasn't played the kids enough to know if they can play...and if they can they will go to somewhere else. Also remember this team played a weak ass schedule... their stregnth of schedule which determined their draft pick order was horrible. So it is somewhat hard to get excited over this team next year right now...

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:14 pm

There are more positives entering next season than there was last year. I am starting to like Haley as the O-coord. Bell is a stud. Our D-line has some hope with the emergence of Heyward, Woods, and McLendon (when healthy). Brown continues to work his ass off despite the big contract. The O-line got better during the season instead of worse. With any luck they will pull the plug on Woodley and insert Worilds where he belongs.

I don't have a ton of faith that they will make the right decision at LOLB or that Tomlin won't open the season with a completely fucked up roster like last season. If you want to point at the reason for barely missing the playoffs, it is due to the lack of depth at key positions (O-line) and keeping injured players and 5 TE's to open the season. That cost us at least 2 wins early on, period!

:x

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ohio » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:13 pm

SoCal Stiller wrote:There are more positives entering next season than there was last year. I am starting to like Haley as the O-coord. Bell is a stud. Our D-line has some hope with the emergence of Heyward, Woods, and McLendon (when healthy). Brown continues to work his ass off despite the big contract. The O-line got better during the season instead of worse. With any luck they will pull the plug on Woodley and insert Worilds where he belongs.

I don't have a ton of faith that they will make the right decision at LOLB or that Tomlin won't open the season with a completely fucked up roster like last season. If you want to point at the reason for barely missing the playoffs, it is due to the lack of depth at key positions (O-line) and keeping injured players and 5 TE's to open the season. That cost us at least 2 wins early on, period!

:x

Actually Oline was the only place where we had depth. If you start thinking the way the backups were playing... We need to have more playmakers next year though. Miler is in his final year. Brown is the only WR. Bell is the only RB. The rest is a bunch of scrubs. I agree that the O was playing much much better in the second half of the season. Let's hope in a very good draft and good free agency moves

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Ed Burns » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:06 pm

With the way last Season panned out, I'm encouraged by the 8-4 .667 run that followed up what was basically a 3-13 run(the last half of 2012, the 2013 Preseason, and the first 4 games of the 2013 Reg. Season). I think if they can fill the holes on D, and some of the younger guys like Shemarko Thomas step up, they'll be a lot better for 2014.

They need playmakers though. I think they need to explore the Free Agent market more than they have in the past. There's value in the market. They won't go for an impact signing as much as they will a good player at a good price. I think some at least half of the Steelers Unrestricted FAs are gonna be gone. Some of which were overpriced compared to their performance... Re-signing Worilds is a must too.

The Draft, that's a whole book that I'm not gonna write. I will say it's nice to see guys like Le'Veon Bell, Jarvis Jones, Vince Williams, David DeCastro, Al Woods, and Kelvin Beachum step up. It kind of makes up for guys like Mike Adams, and LaMarr "The $61 Million Mistake" Woodley.

Return to Stillers Talk