Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Steelers eliminated from Play-offs.

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Stillers.com Team

Steelers eliminated from Play-offs.

Postby thesteelhammer » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:43 pm

To little, to late for Tomlin's Steelers.
Time for some changes.

Grizzled Veteran

Re: Steelers eliminated from Play-offs.

Postby LenSherwood » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:59 pm

I don't want to hear about any fucking silver lining about this season. That was a completely fucking easy schedule that they blew. They have tremendous cap problems due to wasting money on Big LaMarr in an assoholic way. They are likely to have to shed productive players due to the He-man and probably they will need a number two receiver. The offensive line is still patchwork at best. I will give Big Ben full credit--his play kept them from really being fucking horrible. But he is one play from being out and then this team will really blow. REALLY BLOW. It cannot like in years past absorb his loss.

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:03 pm

agree. personnel decisions were wrong last off season. Does that mean Colbert and other FO folks need to be the change this off season?

Grizzled Veteran

Postby LenSherwood » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:00 pm

Hammer... it looks that way for Colbert. He is missing more than hitting since Tomlin came. I don't know how much of a say that Tomlin has in personnel decisions...I would guess it has to be a great deal as it is his team on the field but not having players left from two drafts is killer and there are two players like I said that really annoy me in the top ten of the cap--Woodley and Hood also occupies a top ten place. Hood is even worse than Woodley as he doesn't appear on the stat sheet and he is getting run over. That cannot happen in the 3 4 defense. Ever since Aaron Smith left, teams run over Hood and Woodley.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelers76 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:03 am

At least The Ravens are not only out of the playoffs a year after winning The SB, they finish in 3rd place in The AFC North BEHIND The Steelers. Steelers actually had the best Div. record in The AFC North at 4-2, whereas Cinci and Baltimore were both 3-3. Alas, that is of little comfort....

Maybe Ravens DL Chris Canty will learn to keep his fucking mouth shut with a month to go in the season and declaring how his band of scumbags "ended (our) season", especially when his team had clinched NOTHING at that point. Simple minded dipshit :sufu:

Hall of Famer

Postby PGHeaven » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:01 am

thesteelhammer wrote:To little, to late for Tomlin's Steelers.
Time for some changes.

:suplusone: :suplusone: :suplusone:

Hall of Famer

Postby PGHeaven » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:14 am

I am going to add that the Steelers played very well down the stretch. Kudos to Pola Keisel Bell Benji and several others for inspired play. They rallied for the sake of the game - No thanks to Dan Comrade Castle dweller Rooney - who I pray is assigned an Ambassadorship to tehran next year

Practice Squad

Postby timsim00 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:44 pm

I wouldn't thank them that much! The "D" I mean.

21st in Rushing Yards allowed. NOT good at all!

Grizzled Veteran

Postby LenSherwood » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:21 pm

Damn--they were 21st in rushing defense. That CANNOT happen with a 3-4 defense. The whole point of the scheme is to make sure the run doesn't beat you. They never could deal with top flight QBs and now they can't stop the run? They are totally screwed.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Pommah » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:28 am

I read an article that said, with today's cap numbers, you can't have both a top QB and a top Defense, there just isn't enough money to go around. I would attribute it if I could remember where I read it, but it seems to make sense. Even with BR7 not being at the total top of the list, it's still enough that it impacts who we can pay on D - and unfortunately they chose Woodley.

Also there are ways to spend over the cap, I'm pretty sure, but I don't know the details, it tends to be done by the larger market teams. Similarly, there is a difference between cap spending and cash spending, and while it looks like we have little cap room, the Steelers' cash spending is well below most NFL teams.

http://www.overthecap.com/nfl-cash-space.php?Year=2013

Let's face it, the owners want a lottery. I saw the Packers/Bears game, Rodgers gets hit as he's throwing, the ball squirts forward 10 yards and drops, everybody there thinks its a forward pass that hits the ground. But no, it's ruled a fumble, a Packer picks it up and strolls into the end zone untouched, Packers in playoffs, Bears not. What a joke!

I even heard Michael Kraft, GM of Patriots, on the radio talking about supporting the "fantasy" football leagues. They could care less if the actual quality of the game goes down, all they want is more money. Flashy plays, lots of scoring, big-number stats - all what the casual fan wants.

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby bubbybrister » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:04 pm

Pommah you hit the nail on the head, "I even heard Michael Kraft, GM of Patriots, on the radio talking about supporting the "fantasy" football leagues. They could care less if the actual quality of the game goes down, all they want is more money. Flashy plays, lots of scoring, big-number stats - all what the casual fan wants."

This is equivalent to the steroid era in baseball. The game is all about offense, offense, and more offense. As much as I love smash mouth football, I think you have to take advantage of the cards that are being dealt. All these rule changes have made this a passing league. Therefore, IMO, we should draft a TE and a receiver early (would love to see us get Mike Evans from Texas A&M).

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ohio » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:31 pm

bubbybrister wrote:This is equivalent to the steroid era in baseball. The game is all about offense, offense, and more offense. As much as I love smash mouth football, I think you have to take advantage of the cards that are being dealt. All these rule changes have made this a passing league. Therefore, IMO, we should draft a TE and a receiver early (would love to see us get Mike Evans from Texas A&M).

I totally agree with you. I wanted Ertz over Jones this past draft... We need big bodies for the red zone. Our offense came together at the end of the year ... Which makes me think :

- We do not need to resign Pouncey. He can go. Do not spend money in this useless guy which has been pretty easy to substitute
- Do not resign Ben like Flacco. One link : http://overthecap.com/best-worst-contra ... re-ravens/. His cap hit in 2016 is 28 MILLIONS !!! And it is 90% guaranteed. Ratbirds are doomed. We need not to do the same mistake.
- We need a high ILB.
- New DE that can quickly put people on the field. With the new CBA we cannot "develop" players three years and have to make monster resigns or let them go. It is not how it works in 2014

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Pommah » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:04 pm

Brister I like your analogy. To be fair there were lots of pitchers on 'roids but the tenor of the game focused on big hits.

I think championships still end up being won by the D - that is, the team with a "good enough" offense and a strong D. Recent super bowl winners - Ravens, Saints, Giants, Packers, even the Stillers - were solid on D and with a high-performing QB were able to make the tournament, and then do well.

Contrast that with the SB losers - 49ers, Patriots, Colts, Cardinals, who made it there on the strength of a high-performing O. (Of course they have decent D's, but when you thought about, say the Cardinals, it was Warner/Fitz/Bolquin that comes to mind, not their D).

But what it really takes is winning the lottery. Belichick was building a team through the D, the time tested way, when he lucked into Brady. After Brady got paid, he's been damn close but no cigar, his D giving up late TD's for the win (and note that all 3 of the Pats wins were only by a FG). Seattle has won the lottery now, they have studly secondary and then lucked into Wilson who is performing at a high level on a rookie contract. You could say much the same about our '05 team.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby LenSherwood » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:18 pm

Yes the days of the Steel Curtain are over. It enraged me when the league became pass happy in the 1980s as they changed the rules to take away bump and run coverage. Need a defense that can come up with about three stops a half now I guess and a turnover or two. Offense is king now for sure--maybe you can get lucky on a mid round defensive pick that won't cost much in the cap for a while. But the Steelers usually devote their higher round draft to defense--Hood Timmons Heyward, Jones, Pola, etc. Maybe that trend has to stop.

Another thing-- my God that schedule this year was a bunch of dogshit teams. You have maybe Cincy and New England and that is it for difficult teams. 8 and 8, seriously?

Return to Stillers Talk