Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Gotta Hand it to Brucie

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Grizzled Veteran

Gotta Hand it to Brucie

Postby Pommah » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:38 am

Arians has been pretty successful at Aridzona this year. Beating the Seahawks in their house when your QB throws four picks. It seems that its mostly the Card's D, but at least Bruce is giving them the credit. Could be a scary good team if they had a decent QB.

Grizzled Veteran

Re: Gotta Hand it to Brucie

Postby Steelers76 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:54 am

Last year as The Interim H.C. for Indy, this year as The Head Man in AZ.(Where, BTW, I believe this is just the 2nd Cards Team since 1970-something to finish the regular season with at least 10 wins.) Mediocre O.C., Good-Great Head Coach. Figure that one out.

Although AZ might miss out on the playoffs totally. Too bad for thrm they aren't in The AFC. They'd already have the 5th or 6th seed clinched. Nevertheless, that is a remarkable turnaround for that team. He deserves NFC Coach Of The Year.

It just hit me; First it was Whisenhunt out there, and now Arians. Arizona has truly become "Pittsburgh West"

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Pommah » Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:28 pm

Who'd have thunk it....in replacing Cowher, it seemed to be between Whisenhunt and Grimm but maybe the best HC candidate was their WR coach...I sure didn't like him as OC much and even though he didn't do player selection at Arizona he's winning with the same bunch that wasn't last year.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ohio » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:19 pm

Steelers76 wrote:Last year as The Interim H.C. for Indy, this year as The Head Man in AZ.(Where, BTW, I believe this is just the 2nd Cards Team since 1970-something to finish the regular season with at least 10 wins.) Mediocre O.C., Good-Great Head Coach. Figure that one out.

Well... I have seen it at work A LOT. Great Department Manager that become very poor General Managers and the other way around.

If you hire a previous HEAD COACH you know what you are getting. If you hire a previous OC or DC or Special Team Coordinator ( Like the Ravens did with Harbaugh ) you never know... Actually not even the guy knows, since he has never been in that position before.

I agree with you that Arians was a mediocre OC. Like HC ? Well... For sure he looks better than Pagano ( Colts are regressing this year...). In Arizona he is doing a good job. Consider that he took the best QB that was available last year. Ok, Palmer sucks. But the qb class was poor and you had only Alex Smith available in free agency... Overall I think we can say he is a better HC than OC.

Some thing for Tomlin. He is a better DC than HC. Any chance he steps down to DC once LeBeau retires ( at the end of this year )?

Practice Squad

Postby Matthew1516 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:21 pm

Tomlin wasn't much of a defensive coordinator either. He inherited a good defense and didn't work the coordinator job long before he was socially promoted by the Rooneys.

Return to Stillers Talk