Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Stillers-Packers Postgame Analysis and Grades

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Stillers.com Team

Stillers-Packers Postgame Analysis and Grades

Postby StillMill » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:05 am

Stillers-Packers Postgame Analysis and Grades has been posted by Still Mill at Stillers.com.

Hall of Famer

Re: Stillers-Packers Postgame Analysis and Grades

Postby isfry » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:17 am

Nice wrap, Mill. I, too, was enraged (again) by the clock management. Two kneel downs and an EP and this game ends 34-31. That's how a qualified HC takes advantage of a timely play by the defense and a gift of an offsides by GB's FG coverage team. Really, Mike? You stand by that call because you never know what could happen on what amounts to an extra point in bad weather? That same meterological prescience doesn't give you pause when exposing your piss-poor kickoff coverage to a possible game tying return (which damn near happened)? What a fucking buffoon.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ohio » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:24 am

isfry wrote:Nice wrap, Mill. I, too, was enraged (again) by the clock management. Two kneel downs and an EP and this game ends 34-31. That's how a qualified HC takes advantage of a timely play by the defense and a gift of an offsides by GB's FG coverage team. Really, Mike? You stand by that call because you never know what could happen on what amounts to an extra point in bad weather? That same meterological prescience doesn't give you pause when exposing your piss-poor kickoff coverage to a possible game tying return (which damn near happened)? What a fucking buffoon.

Isfry there were FOUR TOUCHDOWNS IN MINNESOTA IN THE EXACT SAME CONDITIONS

THAT WAS TWO WEEKS AGO

And This Guys comes out with this BULLSH.T ??? He has to go.

Practice Squad

Postby Matthew1516 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:54 am

Tomlin does not understand basic math. This has been his worst coaching job by far, and the worst by a Pittsburgh coach in my lifetime. From the horrible pre-season preparations and roster decisions (starting the season with an injured Isaac Redman as our starting tailback???), to the brainless travel itineraries for trips to London and Oakland, to the continued failure to teach the team how QB on a basic read option, to blundered clock management every single, to pissing away fourth quarter leads. Just a really bad year at the job for Tomlin.

But still there is the outside hope that Big Ben may rescue the season next week with a couple of plausible break sin other games, and we'll have the change at a little playoff run. If we sneak into the playoffs, we could beat Indy or Cinci. A game at New England or Denver is another story with this roster. But a miracle playoff appearance and a playoff win and we probably forget how bad a job Tomlin has done this season -- until he botches another draft in 2014.

Practice Squad

Postby 2016SBChamps » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:05 am

Matthew1516 wrote:Tomlin does not understand basic math. This has been his worst coaching job by far, and the worst by a Pittsburgh coach in my lifetime. From the horrible pre-season preparations and roster decisions (starting the season with an injured Isaac Redman as our starting tailback???), to the brainless travel itineraries for trips to London and Oakland, to the continued failure to teach the team how QB on a basic read option, to blundered clock management every single, to pissing away fourth quarter leads. Just a really bad year at the job for Tomlin...

Not sure about basic math part. Coach Tomlin is certainly lacking in clock management skills. Mind you, he is also the HC, who took our team to two SBs and won one of them. I know it was mostly Bill Cower's team. But when a HC gets blamed for not winning a SB, he should also be given credit. Since the last SB appearance, the team has regressed. Yes, Coach Tomlin should be blamed for this regression. However, it should be noted that our team's talent has been steadily declining.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby pinpon » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:49 pm

Nice job Mill. Lots of stuff and GB botched that last minute or we would have been looking at OT. Team gave a good effort and was better prepared. Like Mill stated we are left to wonder what would have been if we would have seen some of this in Sept.?????

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby Steelers4Tim » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:07 pm

StillMill wrote:http://stillers.com/Article/View/17c2aed2-e1f0-403c-9e4a-5088408e4074 has been posted by Still Mill at Stillers.com.

Not a bad write up, Mill, not bad. However, lighten up on our #2 TE, dude. Spaeth is a good kid who plays his ass off. Easily the best blocking TE in team history behind only Bruener, who by many was considered the best blocking TE in NFL history.....yes, I said Bruener was the best blocking TE in NFL history.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ohio » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:07 pm

Steelers4Tim wrote:Not a bad write up, Mill, not bad. However, lighten up on our #2 TE, dude. Spaeth is a good kid who plays his ass off. Easily the best blocking TE in team history behind only Bruener, who by many was considered the best blocking TE in NFL history.....yes, I said Bruener was the best blocking TE in NFL history.

Stellers4Tim in today's NFL a blocking TE is as good as a QB who excels in handing off to the RB...

The sooner we realize that you need TWO pass catching TE the better will be for the future of this franchise...

Grizzled Veteran

Postby LenSherwood » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:12 pm

If Rogers had played this would have been a loss. The elite Qbs own this team--LeBeau's defense doesn't give them any problems. Why? Soft ass zone coverage that the elite QB will pick away at until he burns it downfield. The 5-10 yard out is always there and now that Troy P is aging and not as effective, they don't have to even worry about what he will do. When Rogers needed to move the ball down the field in 2010 he did so and that defense was better than this years. As for playoffs... they needed to beat those four shitty teams at the beginning of the year. Too late now.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:17 pm

Did anyone else notice Suisam's tackle on that kick-off? He has been getting waaayyy up field for a kicker and making plays in the lane, as opposed to the returner through the lane and in open space. This is at least the 3rd time this season that I have seen him make the play inside the opponent's 40. You could make the case that he is the team MVP this season especially if you consider where he plays half of his games.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:25 pm

Playoffs or no playoffs, at least we have seen some good things the past 12 weeks such as:

- the emergence of Worilds

- watching Heyward evolve into a no-shit bonafide O-lineman

- Haley's offense actually getting better and keeping Ben healthy

- finding an all-purpose stud RB last draft (I would take our boy over Lacy 10 out of 10 times)

- watching Troy play more than 4 games, making plays, and having an impact

If you ask me, I say Haley has proven himself enough to stay another season and keep Ben healthy.

Practice Squad

Postby steelcitysouth » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:05 pm

Players watch tape after each game with coaches to go over formations, missed assigments, poor coverage, etc. Do the Steelers have to create a position to go over game film with the HC in order to show him how many times he f*cks up?! OBVIOUSLY (sarcasm there) we are stuck with him and he isn't going anywhere. Momlin is becoming the turd that won't flush.

Mill, I am new and have been reading for years. Great analysis week in and week out.

Just a couple of game notes: Ben coming out throwing after we went up by 10 and got the ball back was stupid. We were running it pretty well at the time. Why the FB is never used in any formations when one can be inserted is mind boggling. Lastly, did anyone notice the player for G Bay who downed the ball at the 1 yard line (prior to Bells fumble) step in the end zone? They never replayed it all and we all noticed it.

Merry Christmas, SCS

Stillers.com Team

Postby StillMill » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:35 pm

steelcitysouth wrote:Players watch tape after each game with coaches to go over formations, missed assigments, poor coverage, etc. Do the Steelers have to create a position to go over game film with the HC in order to show him how many times he f*cks up?! OBVIOUSLY (sarcasm there) we are stuck with him and he isn't going anywhere. Momlin is becoming the turd that won't flush.

Mill, I am new and have been reading for years. Great analysis week in and week out.

Just a couple of game notes: Ben coming out throwing after we went up by 10 and got the ball back was stupid. We were running it pretty well at the time. Why the FB is never used in any formations when one can be inserted is mind boggling. Lastly, did anyone notice the player for G Bay who downed the ball at the 1 yard line (prior to Bells fumble) step in the end zone? They never replayed it all and we all noticed it.

Merry Christmas, SCS

Good points, and welcome aboard. And yes, I saw the GB gunner, who SLID and surely had his foot cross the GL as he downed the punt at the 1. The only thing that could have enabled GB to down it legally, was if that gunner did not actually touch the ball, and a different Packer touched it "down". They failed to show any replays of this, of course, so we couldn't see a different angle

Return to Stillers Talk