Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Stillers-Bengals Postgame Analysis and Grades

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Practice Squad

Re: Stillers-Bengals Postgame Analysis and Grades

Postby 2016SBChamps » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:59 am

Matthew1516 wrote:Ridiculous 2016. Yes, when a punter fumbles a snap on his own 1-yard line, that's a lucky break. When a kick returner accidentally calls a fair catch on a kickoff when he is simply telling his teammates that he is going to catch it, that is a lucky break. It was nice to get that help. We have certainly helped other teams all season. We haven't gotten many breaks like this since the Titans took the opening kickoff of the season back into the end zone and gave us a safety.

As for the 2010-11 Super Bowl, we lucked out that the Packers dropped numerous passes. They were wide open and they just dropped the ball over and over again. Meanwhile, we could have run the ball with ease (as we did to open the 3rd quarter) against a team that was very vulnerable to the run, but the playcalling put us at a disadvantage and played the game on the Packers' pace. That's bad coaching.

Actually, it was the turnovers that cost us the 2010-11 Super Bowl. Ben did not play well. During one running play, our RB fumbled the ball. The final 2-minute drive was an utter failure. It was poorly executed.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ohio » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:47 pm

25 k fine. Garvin make 23 k a game. He will appeal and get the fine reduced.

He is a low profile player with no previous problems. Otherwise it would have been more

Practice Squad

Postby bigmoesteelers83 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:35 pm

I don't think there was anything wrong with the hit. Garvin hit him up in the chest with his shoulder and arm. If his head snapped down causing the injury,that's a bad break (pun intended).

:sufootballhelmet:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Pommah » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:53 pm

BigMoe I'm with you. I wish Garvin hadn't decleated that punter, but the block was ~30 yards from where the punter kicked the ball. Garvin is a week to week rookie trying to make it in the NFL and he's out there trying to find somebody to block, not thinking about the NFL's "defenseless" rules which he hadn't played under until this year. The video clearly shows him pulling up and lowering to hit him in the chest, not the head. If he rolls lower to hit him in the abdomen or hips, he could just as easily miss and take out the punter's legs, maybe permanently ending his career. I don't know what Garvin was supposed to do, to make sure he made the block, but somehow not hurt the guy.

I had the privilege of watching a Steeler game from the sideline once. I'd been playing or watching the game for 30 years, and yet it was almost the end of the first quarter before I could follow the action - it just happens so damn fast. The TV angles slow it down incredibly. Yes the players are used to it but you just cannot imagine the mayhem. If normal guys like us were out there, we'd be maimed on a routine hit, and quite literally, killed on a big one. Huber is listed as 6-1, 210 and he's in shape, look what an unexpected hit did to him.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:05 pm

I'm certainly not glad the guy got hurt, but I'm not really sure what the hullabaloo is about. This is still football and you still need to keep your head on a swivel between the whistles. It was a clean block, in my opinion, and it stopped the last possible tackler from making a play on the returner. No penalty was called. No flag should have been levied. Give 'em flags hanging from their belt for the opposing team to pull off if that's what it's become.

Practice Squad

Postby steelcitysouth » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:33 pm

I have been a Stillers.com frequent flyer/reader for a few years now. I have finally got through and had success creating an account and logging on. I read Still Mills analysis every week and ready some really great posts and observations, so Thanks for the great reading material.

I have to say that this car wreck has been happening since the 2nd half of Super Bowl XLIII against Arizona. We lose that game if they come out passing in the first quarter. Period. the End. Our problems that were coming to the surface back then still exist now: A poor secondary, bad O-Line (slightly improving with quite a few of our top draft picks with a few turds left to be discarded) and special teams. Our defense had holes then and teams were beginning to catch on. We were fortunate the Cards did not come out slinging

Lebeau is running the same scheme from 2008. It is predictable, old and does not fit the current players we have today. That defense was built on applying pressure and getting to the quarterback and stopping the run. Well, those days went bye bye before Harrison left and Woodley started to mail it in. Who knew Hampton would be so sorely missed? Heyward is coming along as well as Jason W. and who knows if we can sign him. He is not adjusting to the current talent that we have and is not evaluating the players who are left on the bench to rot because they need more time to learn his system. What bullshit.Maybe those players should call Tom Brady, he sure as hell knows it by hanging 55 points on them. Now Dicky is saying he wants to stay another year. Well, screw that. He should be down here in Florida looking for golf balls with the other 77 year olds driving 38 miles per hour in a 55 MPH zone
with his turn signal on for 22 miles. The only good thing lately is having Troy play 15 yards or less on the majority of plays. He is a liability in coverage downfield.

We sign coaches like the latest punter: off the street with nothing on their resume that looks impressive. From the O line coaches to the special teams coaches who have come and gone. Tomlin cannot even sign a decent punter for gods sake. We haven't drafted well, which means we will suffer. We make no coaching changes, which means we will suffer. We can't make any adjustments during a game or half time, which means we will suffer. We cannot operate a 2 minute drill or use clock management, which means we will suffer. I won't get into play calling or injuries. I know people will say its part of the game, no shit. Our last 3 seasons with injuries are part of the game?

Momlin was given the keys a to Ferrari when he took over as head coach seven years ago. He has turned it into a Suzuki Samarai with neon light and 22 Inch Rims.

Thank you for allowing me to vent.

Merry Christmas to you all. SCS :x

Previous

Return to Stillers Talk