Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Heinz Field Attendance; Lowest In History

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Grizzled Veteran

Heinz Field Attendance; Lowest In History

Postby Steelers76 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:01 am

So I heard on KDKA T.V. News last night that attendance for this season's games at Heinz are the lowest in the 13 year history of the stadium. The games are still sold out, but the actual attendance numbers are sparse.

I say good. Maybe this is the wake up call The Ownership and Management need to finally start making some much needed changes with this team. If they don't, methinks they'll continue to pay a steep price.

Thoughts?

Hall of Famer

Re: Heinz Field Attendance; Lowest In History

Postby PGHeaven » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:51 pm

I know many folks who are fucked off at Dan Rooney - and will no longer make the big cash outlay that comes with attending a Pro football game. They - like me - look at it this way - they are letting Dan know how they feel by voting with their wallets. There is NO WAY - I will EVER spend money that will trickle to that Bree eater

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Pommah » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:04 am

Quite frankly, all of the pro sports have priced me out of going to games. I am surprised so many people front that kind of money for what they get. It's not that I can't afford it, it's that at the end of the game, sitting in traffic, burping up my $10 beer and $6 dog, I'm saying to myself, was that worth $500? Compared to sitting in my comfy chair at home and quaffing my PBR? The answer about 10 years ago was "no" and I haven't been to a stadium since, except when someone else is buyin'

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SteelThatDon'tRust » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:59 am

It's spelled Brie. Obviously not spending enough time in Shadyside. :D

Grizzled Veteran

Postby LenSherwood » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:43 pm

I have not seen so many empty seats for a Steeler game in a while. Hey Pommah do you remember when you couldn't give away a Steeler ticket in the 60s? There were empty seats all over that stadium. Did anyone check the secondary market to see what people were selling tickets for?

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Pommah » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:35 pm

http://www.sikids.com/photos/24357/playing-in-pain/35

The link above is to one of the most iconic NFL photographs of all time. It shows YA Tittle, (one of the game's greats, look him up, kids) after getting plastered by John Baker, throwing a pick-6, and getting a concussion and broken sternum in the process. He spent the night in the hospital. In this photo, he's totally out of it, dazed, blood streaming down his bald pate.

What a shot! Usually it's cropped, showing just the wounded warrior. This is the full image. Look in the stands, people. See how it's maybe 1/10 full? Well, that was Pittsburgh in 1964. Maybe at the beginning of the year there would be more butts in the stands, but by the end of the inevitably losing season, you could stroll into Pitt Stadium after the first quarter at will. My old man was able to afford season's tickets to the Steelers while in high school in the 50's.

As an aside, in the 70's, I attended quite a few Pirates games for $1. Upper deck at Three Riv, but still, minimum wage was about $2 then, so that was the price of a half hour's work pumping gas, or about $4 now. My granny from the 'burgh got us Pirates tickets clipping coupons off of bread bags. When we moved to Ohio I got 6 free Reds tickets each year, the years of the Big Red Machine, just for getting all A's on my report card. Imagine that kind of promotion now.

My point is, the Rooneys are nice people and all, but when old man Art was running it, they sucked. Then he let his kid Dan run it, and it was under his watch that they became what they are. Dan has now handed over the reigns to his kid Art Rooney II, and is taking a well deserved retirement. He's allowed to do whatever the fukk he wants, go off to Ireland and eat tea and crumpets, let the team fall into disrepair, whatever. That's the way of the world. Now, we don't have to keep paying through our ass for tickets or watching endless TV ads interspersed with a few football plays if we don't want to. That's entirely up to us. It's not like they're holding a gun to our head.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby ballhair » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:46 pm

Nice post Pommah. I DVR the game last night and watched it at 2:00 am in the morning. Using the 30 second skip button, I was able to watch the whole game in a little over a half hour.

Hall of Famer

Postby PGHeaven » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:35 pm

SteelThatDon'tRust wrote:It's spelled Brie. Obviously not spending enough time in Shadyside. :D

:wow: :wow:

Hall of Famer

Postby PGHeaven » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:38 pm

Thats right Pommah - capitalism at its best - and that donkeys ass will not get a nickel from me.

Return to Stillers Talk