Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » State of the Nation

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Grizzled Veteran

State of the Nation

Postby Ohio » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:06 am

It has been a while since my last post. Busy weeks at work...

It is a huge surprise seeing the Steelers still in the playoff race. As everybody knows, I am not happy with it. I wish that, at this point, we were fighting with Houston for the top pick. Now we are in a 5 - 7 middle of nowhere situation. A likely 10 - 15 draft position ( which is the worse thing that can happen. You do not make the playoffs and you have a middle of the round pick). If we lose today with the Dolphins we will not have any chance of making the playoffs. A win gives you "hope" to get in... Maybe just to be demolished by a real offense ( aka Patriots or Broncos).

I have seen various interisting posts and I will summarize quickly :

- Palmer regarding your article about Tomlin : He did on purpose. I am not saying he planned it. But that in the last three or four seconds he made a decision to make that BS. It is clear once you see the replay from the Ravens endzone. Jones breakes free and Tomlin gets to the border and stops. He knows where he is. The last second dumb move let's you know exactly where he was. He knew it at least since Jones is at the 25 yard line. It takes Jones 3 or 4 seconds to get to Tomlin. To me he did on purpose. I hope that the Rooneys see it the same way and "retire" him after the season.

- On Offense it seems that after the No Huddle worked greatly against the Lions we didn't use it again. I have been calling a heavy dose of No Huddle since pre season. It did work. My grandpa use to say: If it ain't broke don't fix it. Why did we go back to Haley playcalling ?

- The Steelers activate TE Spaeth yesterday. I mean it is week 13!!!! Why You keep a guy for 13 out of 17 weeks ? A Second TE no less... A guy that doesn't catch anything. Colbert and Tomlin should explain this decision.

- On Defense Worlids on the LOLB position is playing greatly. It is a very good news since :
1) Our highest paid player plays in that position ( we could have let Woodley go three years ago...)
2) Worlids is likely playing the last four games with us. Maybe, after signing a huge deal somewhere else, he will send us some Xmas gifts next year...

- CB Keenan Lewis is having a great season in New Orleans. They are talking about him as elite CB. Meanwhile Ike Taylor is having a lot of troubles and William Gay, a guy we signed off the street, has become our most reliable CB. I wonder who is evaluating the talent we have on this side of the ball and who is making those decisions that clearly are dooming our past ( last year), our present and our future...

I have serious doubts that a 8 - 8 / 7 - 9 season produces a lot of changes. I do not know what the Rooneys think but a season like this will call for max one coordinator change. Since last time they changed the OC I think that they will "retire" LeBeau. I hope I am wrong. Because I do not see this team going nowhere with Haley, Tomlin and Colbert...

Grizzled Veteran

Re: State of the Nation

Postby LenSherwood » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:49 pm

Ohio-- worst fuking thing that could happen is coming to pass. They look like they may possible end up 8 and 8. Shit on that. That is useless. It puts them drafting in the same spot they did last year and that is way too far down to make any difference.

Yes, how in the hell do you let Keenan Lewis walk but keep Woodley? And you did not know that Worlids could play Left Outside Linebacker? I don't much like Jones either--I just do not like his build with his lack of speed. If he were quick as a cat and had at least 4-5 speed you would have something. But he is thin and slow as dogshit. He is getting blocked this year and being a rookie means shit there. You can rush the passer or you can't. He runs into a 6-5 310 pound tackle and that is all she wrote for his rush.

I see nothing gained in winning games at the end of this season with the number of veterans on this team. Winning at the end would be important for a young team which would be showing that it is starting to learn the NFL, but this is not a young team...It is just screwing up its draft position and perpetuating bullshit about this team being a contender.

Grizzled Veteran

Re: State of the Nation

Postby Ohio » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:37 am

LenSherwood wrote:I see nothing gained in winning games at the end of this season with the number of veterans on this team. Winning at the end would be important for a young team which would be showing that it is starting to learn the NFL, but this is not a young team...It is just screwing up its draft position and perpetuating bullshit about this team being a contender.

Well said.

Anyway... We reached our worst case scenario. Watching January with a beer and having mid round draft pick.

Let's just hope that we see some changes in the coaching staff. Even if, at this point, I wouldn't be surprised that everything remains the same... Colbert makes a speach about "retooling" and not "rebuilding"... Tomlin, obviously, turns all the stones... Some veteran get cut just to make this point... And then... Next year we are a 8-8 team AGAIN...

Return to Stillers Talk