Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Let's Get a Win!

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Grizzled Veteran
User avatar
Posts: 612
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:44 pm

Let's Get a Win!

Postby isfry » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:34 pm

Alright, I've come down to Earth with a handful of realizations (opinions.)

1.) No matter how bad this season ends up, there is not going to be a huge upheaval from the front office to the sideline. I have been watching the Steelers' organization conduct themselves for four decades, and that's just not how things happen in Steel town.

2.) No matter how many people (Ryan Clark included) try to change, criticize, or blame Ben, he is our starting QB and the best option we have at that position for now and the foreseeable future. Even 0-16 does not get Johnny Manziel in black and gold.

3.) The AFC North logjam is likely to result in three teams still tied at the top after this week, at 3-3. (Yes, I am picking the Packers, Bills, and Lions to win.) 1-4 is actually not that far behind that jam, especially with five conference games remaining.

4.) No matter what I still hate Rex Ryan and all his buffoonery.

To sum up: A win is better than a loss (no matter what the sky-is-falling, play-for-the-draft-pick crew might say). Beat the Jets. One in a row is how all winning streaks start.

Stillers.com Team
User avatar
Posts: 4357
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 8:21 pm

Re: Let's Get a Win!

Postby thesteelhammer » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:21 pm

I always pull for a Steelers win. It's just not in me not to.

I hope you're right on the shake up of this team, players, coaches...even management....heck at this point I'd even like to see the Rooney's out of control if they are going to use the team for political agendas.

Grizzled Veteran
 
Posts: 318
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:41 am

Re: Let's Get a Win!

Postby Ohio » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:22 pm

isfry wrote:Alright, I've come down to Earth with a handful of realizations (opinions.)

1.) No matter how bad this season ends up, there is not going to be a huge upheaval from the front office to the sideline. I have been watching the Steelers' organization conduct themselves for four decades, and that's just not how things happen in Steel town.

2.) No matter how many people (Ryan Clark included) try to change, criticize, or blame Ben, he is our starting QB and the best option we have at that position for now and the foreseeable future. Even 0-16 does not get Johnny Manziel in black and gold.

3.) The AFC North logjam is likely to result in three teams still tied at the top after this week, at 3-3. (Yes, I am picking the Packers, Bills, and Lions to win.) 1-4 is actually not that far behind that jam, especially with five conference games remaining.

4.) No matter what I still hate Rex Ryan and all his buffoonery.

To sum up: A win is better than a loss (no matter what the sky-is-falling, play-for-the-draft-pick crew might say). Beat the Jets. One in a row is how all winning streaks start.


1) I don-t agree. How bad maybe will be too bad... 3 - 13 and no changes... I don-t think so

2( I don-t honestly think that Ben is going to be traded. But, with his style of play, he is only one hit from retirement.

3) I agree. AFC North sucks. Bungals stole a game against a practice squad QB. They will not do much. Ravens just suck. The Clowns had hope with Hoyer. Weeden is not going to cut it. Their season is over. You are right. We have a chance. A little chance to win our division. And it is not like there are those big teams... Only the Broncos look very good. The rest are beatable.

4) Nobody likes Ryan. He should be fired at the end of the season anyway.

I add >

5) Defense won this game. Ok Geno Smith played poorly. Ok we had 10 days to prepare for this game and they had 6 days. But they scored 6 points. This is always good no matter what. It will give you a lot of games. The Offense 19 points is a standard result. Actually if you take away the TD is not even that many points.

6) OT Levi Brown injured his triceps. He didn-t play the 2012 season for the same injury. It appears to be serious. GOOD MOVE COLBERT

7) I know I have said but I will repeat it > AFC North SUCKS... I Honestly have no clue who is going to win the division. But whoever it is doesn-t deserve anything

Seasoned Veteran
User avatar
Posts: 157
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:28 pm
Location: Erie, PA

Re: Let's Get a Win!

Postby Still Peon » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:20 pm

I agree that your never purposely tank games to get draft picks.....if losing made you a winner, then the Browns would've been world champions at least 3 times by now.

Grizzled Veteran
 
Posts: 318
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:41 am

Re: Let's Get a Win!

Postby Ohio » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:56 pm

Still Peon wrote:I agree that your never purposely tank games to get draft picks.....if losing made you a winner, then the Browns would've been world champions at least 3 times by now.


Peon, What we are talking about * and I know that I am one of the biggest supporters of the TANK THE SEASON BANDWAGON, is more like what happened to the Colts.

An aging QB and holes all over the roster. Very good QBs coming out of the draft. Here you go > SUCK FOR LUCK.

It is the same thing that happened to the Steelers some years ago... You go down season. 11th pick in a draft full of capable QBs. And here we are.

Peon we are STEELERS FAN to the bone. I know, it hurts. It is hard. But I still hope that we keep losing. There is only one way out of this. 1 - 15 or 2 - 14 and a major overhaul. Starting with the QB. Yes I know. Yes Ben did a lot for us. But it is not working anymore. Do not be fooled by one game. Our defense is not good enough. Our offense is not good enough. Our Special Team, well, has never been special.

I would be seriously p-ssed if we go 6 - 10 or 7 - 9 miss on the playoff, miss on good draft picks and miss a major switch in the managment

Grizzled Veteran
User avatar
Posts: 612
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:44 pm

Re: Let's Get a Win!

Postby isfry » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:43 am

Call me Pollyanna, Ohio, but I disagree. First, I am not yet sold that this season is lost. (I know, I know...)
We are two games back in the loss column with eleven games left, five of them in conference. The AFC North is not looking that good.

Furthermore, despite what many, even on this board, are saying about BR7, I survived the Mike Tomzaks and the Bubby Bristers and the Mark Malones and even the Neil "holy shit I cant believe he just threw another ball straight to Larry Brown" O'Donnells. The idea that we would just pluck a franchise QB from the draft simply because we got a high pick is not only overly optimistic, but flies in the face of decades of draft busts and high draft pick QBs.

I say a bird in the hand is worth two in the draft and we have a better chance of trying to put whatever band-aids necessary on the defense, special teams, O-line and coaching staff to try to win one more ring with Ben in the next three years (because he is not likely to last much beyond that.) Like it or not, after he's gone, we may not see paydirt for another decade.

Grizzled Veteran
 
Posts: 429
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:20 pm

Re: Let's Get a Win!

Postby SoCal Stiller » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:52 pm

isfry wrote:The idea that we would just pluck a franchise QB from the draft simply because we got a high pick is not only overly optimistic, but flies in the face of decades of draft busts and high draft pick QBs.


I could not agree more. The odds of landing a franchise QB at #1 is nearly the same as landing one by pick #31. When you add the Steelers draft record to the equation, it's even less likely to work out. We've managed to stay on top more years than we haven't by maintaining a steady course and a winning tradition. How many high 1st round QB picks have the Brown, Bengals, and Raiders had in the last dozen years? Look how well it worked out for them.

One thing worth mentioning about drafts though. Up until the recent CBA, it amost hurt teams to pick at the top due to the ridiculous amount of cash teams had to pay. Teams like the Steelers who drafted toward the end every year weren't slammed with ridiculous rookie contracts. Now that the rookie pay structure has changed, I'm starting to lean closer to really wanting that high pick - but not at the expense of winning.

Grizzled Veteran
 
Posts: 318
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:41 am

Re: Let's Get a Win!

Postby Ohio » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:49 pm

SoCal Stiller wrote:
isfry wrote:The idea that we would just pluck a franchise QB from the draft simply because we got a high pick is not only overly optimistic, but flies in the face of decades of draft busts and high draft pick QBs.


One thing worth mentioning about drafts though. Up until the recent CBA, it amost hurt teams to pick at the top due to the ridiculous amount of cash teams had to pay. Teams like the Steelers who drafted toward the end every year weren't slammed with ridiculous rookie contracts. Now that the rookie pay structure has changed, I'm starting to lean closer to really wanting that high pick - but not at the expense of winning.


You have to consider that with the new waves of QB is much easier finding very good ones and cheap. Tanking one season, just like the Colts did, migth be the best thing that happens to us. Ok we drafted very poorly in the past. But the new QBs come better prepared and much much more ready than it used to be. You have to be truly a clown to take a 29 years old Weeden or worse...

Also the point that Socal makes is very important. With the new CBA it is much much better to keep replacing veterans with rookies. Those rookies come very cheap. Just think about Russell Wilson. The seahawks will pay him just around a million or two until at least next year. What do you say about that >)

Grizzled Veteran
User avatar
Posts: 612
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:44 pm

Re: Let's Get a Win!

Postby isfry » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:18 am

"Just think about Russell Wilson. The seahawks will pay him just around a million or two until at least next year. What do you say about that."


I see your Russell Wilson and raise you David Carr, Carson Palmer, Alex Smith, and JaMarcus Russell.

Grizzled Veteran
 
Posts: 318
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:41 am

Re: Let's Get a Win!

Postby Ohio » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:47 am

isfry wrote:"Just think about Russell Wilson. The seahawks will pay him just around a million or two until at least next year. What do you say about that."


I see your Russell Wilson and raise you David Carr, Carson Palmer, Alex Smith, and JaMarcus Russell.


Ahahahah. Do you want to play poker with me? Anyway It is clear that we see thing differently. It happens. As steelers fan we are together through good and bad times. We only see different solutions to the same situation. I do not think we can remotely be competitive this year. Then again, I didn't think the Ravens had any chance last year. I hope I am wrong. But I would rather take a season off like the Colts did two years ago and you are seriously contending every other then take a 8-8 7-9 9-7 team that is alway one and done.

Grizzled Veteran
 
Posts: 429
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:20 pm

Re: Let's Get a Win!

Postby SoCal Stiller » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:28 pm

Ohio wrote: I hope I am wrong. But I would rather take a season off like the Colts did two years ago and you are seriously contending every other then take a 8-8 7-9 9-7 team that is alway one and done.


The Colts haven't convinced me their going to be great at this point. Who's to say the Colts aren't 9-7, 8-8, and/or one and done each year as well? Luck appears to be a very good QB, but still has much to prove to validate your argument. I will never be a fan of tanking games no matter what the situation. The closest I will come to that is when they are officially eliminated from the playoffs they should increase rookie playing time.

Grizzled Veteran
 
Posts: 318
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:41 am

Re: Let's Get a Win!

Postby Ohio » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:58 pm

SoCal Stiller wrote:The Colts haven't convinced me their going to be great at this point. Who's to say the Colts aren't 9-7, 8-8, and/or one and done each year as well? Luck appears to be a very good QB, but still has much to prove to validate your argument. I will never be a fan of tanking games no matter what the situation. The closest I will come to that is when they are officially eliminated from the playoffs they should increase rookie playing time.


The point I am trying to make is that the Colts didn-t waste any time in getting back to back QBs. I am very scared that after Ben we will have a 10-year search. It is a passing league. If you have a Kordell now you do not have any chance. Believe me > Luck is very good. Problem with him this year is the play calling. Pagano is going very conservative and the Richardson trade validates my point. You have to pass to set up the run. If you try to run to set up the pass you will only win a marginal number of games. Look at Cheap Kelly. No matter who is QB is calls make them look very good.

Grizzled Veteran
 
Posts: 429
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:20 pm

Re: Let's Get a Win!

Postby SoCal Stiller » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:28 pm

Ohio wrote:It is a passing league. If you have a Kordell now you do not have any chance. Believe me > Luck is very good. Problem with him this year is the play calling. Pagano is going very conservative and the Richardson trade validates my point. You have to pass to set up the run. If you try to run to set up the pass you will only win a marginal number of games. Look at Cheap Kelly. No matter who is QB is calls make them look very good.


I recall the Steelers winning quite a few games with Kordell. The Steelers never really provided a great system for him to flourish to his full potential. Call me crazy, but I think he would do quite well in some of these new offenses. He should have been born 15 years later.

Grizzled Veteran
 
Posts: 318
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:41 am

Re: Let's Get a Win!

Postby Ohio » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:14 pm

SoCal Stiller wrote:I recall the Steelers winning quite a few games with Kordell. The Steelers never really provided a great system for him to flourish to his full potential. Call me crazy, but I think he would do quite well in some of these new offenses. He should have been born 15 years later.


I recall a running game and a defense getting to Championship game in spite of Kordell. He was carried by the team. Not the other way around.

Great players for the ESPN Highlights, but not a SB winning caliber. I do not think that he was ever able to read defenses or throw the ball like some of the guys. He was an older Micheal Vick...

Return to Stillers Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 6 guests

Don't be stingy, share: