Board index » Stillers Talk » League of Denial

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Grizzled Veteran

League of Denial

Postby Pommah » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:02 pm

Grizzled Veteran

Re: League of Denial

Postby Pommah » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:07 am

Did anybody watch this last night besides me?

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:38 am

I tuned in half way through and decided to DVR it, as it was appearing again at three this morning. What I saw looked pretty informative, but also pretty scary. Goodell is a scary dude. I'll watch it tonight and chime in.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Pommah » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:15 pm

It's very eye-opening about the way the league operates, the way it treats its players.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:33 pm

my gal and I watched it yesterday. Gnarly. Pretty scary to think how the NFL operated. Bad enough they ignored the science because it conflicted with their profit margin but they acted almost like the fucking mafia the way they tried to intimidate and discredit some of the doctors and scientists trying to bring the CTE evidence to light. I forgot that Tagliabue was actually still running the show when the Webster thing came out. CONSPIRACY THEORY ALERT - makes one wonder if he wanted to go a different way with the CTE stuff at that time and that prompted him stepping down and Goodell succeeding him. I have no facts to base that guess on, just that I always thought Tagliabue was a straight shooter, and I don't trust Goodell as far as Alex Smith can throw the deep ball...

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Pommah » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:07 pm

1. As I said on another thread, the league treats players like so much meat. Owners, coaches. All about the money.

2. An aside - If the league does this to doctors about science, think what it's willing to do to protect itself for spygate. I've noted how players who said something, never said it more than once. They were spoken to.

3. I expect this thing to snowball. It may not though, hard to tell, we do love our gladiatorial football. If it does, mamas ain't going to let there babies play football anymore. My kid dropped out of the game over an idiot coach. I'm glad he did, after seeing that show. I had thought it was only happening to guys like Webster, over 20 years in the trenches, thousands of hits. Turns out high school kids are getting it.

4. I think the game has got to change. Hard helmets, hard pads, have got to go. Back to the 50's before thermoplastics were invented. I'm old enough that when I was playing, we were taught to keep our heads out of the tackle, out of the block, even though we had the hard helmets, but we were taught by guys who played in the soft helmet era. Then I remember distinctly when we got some new assistant coach who had been from a lower tier Div I school, came in and taught us to put our heads in there. Jam it into the other guy's shoulder pads. Very different that what we had been taught. That was 1977. So probably for 40 years, it's been taught to use the helmeted head as a weapon. This is not going to die easy, but I think die it must, for the game to survive.

5. I'm interested in hearing from others who played, where they taught to use their head in blocking and tackling, or not.

Return to Stillers Talk