Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Who's that walkin' with Dan Rooney?

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Grizzled Veteran

Who's that walkin' with Dan Rooney?

Postby Pommah » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:07 am

Take a look at the pictures of LC Greenwood's funeral in the Trib Review (links on the site)

Any of you youngsters out there know who that is walking with Dan Rooney into LC Greenwood's funeral? Any idea who gets the position of honor of being at the Boss Man's side? Of all the guys that could be, why this dude?

Hall of Famer

Re: Who's that walkin' with Dan Rooney?

Postby isfry » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:33 pm

Perhaps as a scout and personnel director for the 70's and 80's, maybe Rooney Sr. thinks Nunn has some insight into our current drafting and scouting issues? I have no idea. Pommah, do you know something I don't?

Hall of Famer

Postby PGHeaven » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:57 am

Rooney Sr is only interested in using the Steelers as a front for anything Obama. He gives not one shit for football

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Pommah » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:23 pm

No I don't know anything.

Nunn was the guy who identified players like Greenwood. A 10th round pick. Stallworth, Shell, Blount, Dwight White, Ernie Holmes, all top tier talent players hiding in small, predominantly black southern colleges.

Back then the big schools had "unwritten quotas" for how many blacks they would allow on their teams. The Steelers had a competitive edge, scouting at these schools when no one else bothered. Nunn was the guy who delivered the goods.

The Steelers - and the Pirates for that matter - have a track record of taking advantage of other people's unwillingness to promote minorities. We stole Roberto Clemente out of the Dodger's farm system because they thought they had too many blacks already.

Return to Stillers Talk