Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Stillers trade for OT Levi Brown

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Stillers.com Team

Stillers trade for OT Levi Brown

Postby StillMill » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:02 am

...not sure what they gave up. News just got released. 4 weeks too late, but a nice pick up.

Stillers.com Team

Re: Stillers trade for OT Levi Brown

Postby StillMill » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:09 am

just to clarify, Brown is no Anthony Munoz, but compared to a stiff who mimics a traffic barrell, Brown is a solid upgrade.

Stillers.com Team

Postby StillMill » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:15 am

The Cardinals have agreed to terms on a trade that will send LT Levi Brown to the Steelers. The compensation will be one or more late-round draft picks. An overrated talent that was consistently short on performance, Brown finally exits the desert seven years after the Cardinals took him fifth overall. He started 79 games, failing to ever become an even moderately effective player. So far this season, Brown has graded out 60th among 72 of PFF's qualifying tackles. That said, he's a slight upgrade on current Pittsburgh LT Mike Adams -- especially in the run game. The 0-4 Steelers can get away from Brown after this season as his guaranteed money will be up, but they're grasping at air here. Beat writer Ed Douchette calls the trade a "panic move."

Grizzled Veteran

Postby deltadweller » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:52 pm

I want to see the article, "If Gildon faced Adams, The battle of the traffic cones".

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelers76 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:30 pm

Meh. I would've rather they brought back Starks. He would've came cheaper, and probably done a lot better. But beggers can't be choosers, I suppose.....

Grizzled Veteran

Postby StillDodger » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:48 am

I happen to live in Arizona.... Saw Levi Brown play w the Cards.... Where Mike Adams gets bowled over by power rushers, Levi Brown gets torched by speed rushers. (LaMarr Woodley might have a field day at practices.) Unless the coaches can somehow correct Brown's technique, he won't be much of an upgrade......
The guy the Ravens got from the Jags, Eugene Monroe, now that would have been a clear upgrade. :sushootem:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ohio » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:36 pm

StillDodger wrote:I happen to live in Arizona.... Saw Levi Brown play w the Cards.... Where Mike Adams gets bowled over by power rushers, Levi Brown gets torched by speed rushers. (LaMarr Woodley might have a field day at practices.) Unless the coaches can somehow correct Brown's technique, he won't be much of an upgrade......
The guy the Ravens got from the Jags, Eugene Monroe, now that would have been a clear upgrade. :sushootem:

Dodger personally I do not like either trade. The Steelers, like you said, have brought somebody who is not performing now. Let me remind everybody :

Adams got stabbed in June. I do not know how much time it takes to be back 100% but I would bet it is not 4 months. I am not excusing him but I wouldn't be surprised to see him starting and playing adequately somewhere else in 2 or 3 years time. Just go watch Urbik for that matter...

The Ravens have got an upgrade indeed. But how much did they pay ? How long will he play ( his contract expires at the end of the year )?

To me it looks like both are desperate moves. But, again, time will tell

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Pommah » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:21 am

Ohio, I think you could be spot-on here....I had forgotten about Adams getting stabbed.

It's a fine line between wimping out and claiming you're hurt and not playing vs. playing hurt. No doubt there has been plenty of both. But if a guy is truly hurt, I don't see how playing him helps. It's why you need solid backups and personally I don't think the Steelers, particularly on D, rotate in enough. We've had 2nd round pick Jason Woriilds on the roster for four years and it should have been obvious long ago he wasn't going to cut it, but he hasn't seen enough playing time to make the decision. Same with Ryan Mundy, that guy took up a roster spot forever.

It's a brutal game gentlemen if you read about LC Greenwood he didn't make it to 70 and had 15 back surgeries. You just saw the Patriots list Wilfork with a foot injury but play him anyway only to have him hurt it even more and lose him for the season and probably his career. I watched a game on TV where you could see the Steelers shoot up Marvel Smith in his back and send him back out on the playing field. He never recovered and was done. Good players want to play and its up to the coaches to decide if the injury is hampering play and put in the backup, or if the player needs time to heal. Maybe Adams shouldnt have been playing at all, Ohio could be right here

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:32 pm

If Adams truly is hurt, then it is up to the coaches to recognize that. Maybe he is not in pain but his conditioning is subpar in that area?
Your reminding me that he was stabbed in June makes me even more baffled about Tomlin's roster to open the season! They should have had at least 2 more O-linemen on the roster all things considered. :?

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ohio » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:25 pm

SoCal Stiller wrote:If Adams truly is hurt, then it is up to the coaches to recognize that. Maybe he is not in pain but his conditioning is subpar in that area?
Your reminding me that he was stabbed in June makes me even more baffled about Tomlin's roster to open the season! They should have had at least 2 more O-linemen on the roster all things considered. :?

SoCal I am only saying something I had been thinking. I am not a doctor and I do not know the exact situation. I only think that it can be that Adams was phisically not where he should have been. If I am not wrong it was speculated that it could have been season ending. All I know is that now, with this trade, his days with our uniform are numbered. I would be seriously p*ssed if this guys is cut and then performs somewhere else.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Pommah » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:05 pm

Lets face it, the players are so much meat to the Owners. There's always more meat. I've given a couple examples in this thread of coaches ruining players. Happens all the time. The Steelers appear to be one of the best at not doing it, but look at how they let BR7 back in a couple of years ago with a sprained ankle and he sucked wind. This is not a long-term thinking business (NFL=Not For Long).

With the exception of Pouncey, all our O-line drafts have been disappointments for the most part. And then there's Urbik off at Buffalo, and Legurski is there too. Though not a draft pick Leggo seemed better than what we have now.

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:10 pm

Adams is weak and was when he was at Ohio State as well.
He's got quick feet, but needs time in the weight room.
the stabbing injury may be effecting him, but it's not the only issue.
That said, we shouldn't give up on him yet.
Having a veteran around is a good idea.
the move for Brown is better than doing nothing.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby StillDodger » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:48 am

I hate to sound cruel, any stabbing is a tragedy.... But we're playing Adams as if there were no adverse effect..... If there is an adverse effect, he should be in rehab, not live games.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Pommah » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:03 pm

Let us not forget Adams showed up to the combine with Pot in his system. Not a bright boy. Who knows what he's telling the coaching staff.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:50 am

and then this happens...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... rown-on-ir

Anyone know Max Starks' number?

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:57 pm

I wanted to get Starks as soon as he was released! I don't give a shit how old and fat he is - he is still an upgrade.

:suahhbs:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelers76 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:40 pm

SoCal Stiller wrote:I wanted to get Starks as soon as he was released! I don't give a shit how old and fat he is - he is still an upgrade.

:suahhbs:

I agree. See my original post in this thread.

Return to Stillers Talk