Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Would you trade Ben for draft picks ?

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Grizzled Veteran

Re: Would you trade Ben for draft picks ?

Postby Ohio » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:32 pm

PGHeaven wrote:
Dont worry though. HALEY will be gone before BR7 is..

I don't know about that. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... in-trouble

Brandt is calling for the Steelers to draft a QB. With the likes of Bridgewater, Mariota on the board I like our chances. But we need a top 5 pick. A # 7 or #8 won't cut it.

Anyway I think Ben's Days wearing Black and Gold are numbered. It has been a good ride...

Hall of Famer

Postby PGHeaven » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:09 pm

Ohio - that article indicates that the Steelers will draft an understudy for Ben

"still, I don't think the Rooney family will blow this team up and start over; that's not their style. At this point, the Steelers just have to hope they can finish with a record that will let them pick high enough next May to land their quarterback of the future."

That is completely different than trade Ben for a pick

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ohio » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:01 am

PGHeaven wrote:Ohio - that article indicates that the Steelers will draft an understudy for Ben

"still, I don't think the Rooney family will blow this team up and start over; that's not their style. At this point, the Steelers just have to hope they can finish with a record that will let them pick high enough next May to land their quarterback of the future."

That is completely different than trade Ben for a pick

Heaven there is not such a thing as a understudy QB anymore. Ben was the first in 2004 ( ok, due to injury but still). After him we have seen tons of QB getting selected to START. Not to rot the bench as Rodgers ( 3 years ) or like it used to be.

Regarding the Rooney family I will say it again : If we go 3 - 13 or worse expect HUGE changes. Should we, somehow, be able to reach a 6 - 10 or worse a 7 - 9 I do not expect a lot of changes.

For me it is time to make a HUGE CHANGE. New GM, New Head Coach, New OC and New DC. A good offensive line coach should not hurt either. Is Grimm available ?

Hall of Famer

Postby PGHeaven » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:39 pm

Well Ohio - you got a point - these days whether by design or by necessity rookie QBs are going straight into the huddles. You could point at Rodgers/ Favre though. I completely agree on GM HC OC DC

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:49 pm

At this point, three games into the season, the only change I would like to see is Haley. It has become very obvious to me that it isn't working, so why bother continuing down that road? It is difficult for me to call for wholesale changes when I have witnessed how much organizational stability has proven to be successful long term.

However, my sentiments may change by week six :cheers:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ohio » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:04 pm

SoCal Stiller wrote:At this point, three games into the season, the only change I would like to see is Haley. It has become very obvious to me that it isn't working, so why bother continuing down that road? It is difficult for me to call for wholesale changes when I have witnessed how much organizational stability has proven to be successful long term.

However, my sentiments may change by week six :cheers:

While I agree with you in general I do not agree in the Steelers specific case :

Colbert has been there 10 years
Tomlin 7 years
LeBeau 85 years ( ok not so much ... )

Only Haley has been just a couple of seasons. I tend to believe, like you do, that organizational stability helps. But you need capable people in the first place. You need a winner that improves over time. I'm not sold that our guys are proven winners. I'll make quick examples :

- Colbert : He made the Huge mistake some 6 years ago to pick early a RB ( Mendenhall - 1st Round ). This year, after having learnt his lessonk, what does he do ? He picks a RB with the second Round. This guy will never understand that RB is a position you can draft in later rounds without problems.

- Tomlin : While I prefer his play calling compared to Cowher, he still has to show that he can develop and train low round picks. Case in point : All His Drafts

- LeBeau : Biggest problem is lack of turnover. This is huge. I have to say a good word regarding him. With the new CBA you have to play rookies. This year he is doing it. Let's hope he works on it.

- Haley : He is not up to the job. Point. Should be fired as of now. He doesn't have any clue whatsoever.

So Let's Hope we get some new winning faces and we give them some time to work on it...

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:42 pm

Keep in mind, if we continue to play like we have, we don't need to trade anyone for draft picks. Our record alone will get us that...

Hall of Famer

Postby PGHeaven » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:54 pm

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... er=ya5nbcs

And there it is - Big Bonehead in all of his low IQ grandeur. This is why the steelers need to get rid of BR7 now.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:38 am

Frankly, I'm not so sure I disagree with Ben's response. The only thing he could have said better was, "That's an internal matter which we will handle as a team behind the locker room door, thank you." In the first fucking place, where does Ryan Clark get off telling ESPN what other players on the 0-4 Steelers need to do anyway? Perhaps he should shut his fucking trap and make a play. Last time I checked, our defense hasn't generated ONE goddamn turnover this year. Maybe Professor Clark can focus his immense intellect on fixing that factor, rather than pointing fingers...

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:57 pm

I agree. Clark needs to STFU. He pretty much became obsolete once the rules changed about "defenseless receivers" and not being able to launch yourself. The Stillers need to find a safety that can actually provide coverage over the top.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:00 pm

Also, I heard this morning that no team has ever gone the first 5 games without generating a single turnover. The Steelers could make history in a bad way this Sunday. Maybe the DB's should jack-off just before the game and spew on their own hands so that maybe the football will stick to their dickskinners.
:shock:

Hall of Famer

Postby PGHeaven » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:45 am

You all have a point there about Clark in that Ben's response might have been indignant based on the context

But really - I dont give a fig if the Pillsbury Dughboy said it - its true

And if BR7 has an "it is what it is" attitude then we shall see if he says that when he is traded

Hall of Famer

Postby PGHeaven » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:47 am

also remember this is a trade Ben thread - not a Ryan Clark sucks thread (although that is true as well) :lol:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Pommah » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:20 pm

Bradshaw was basically done at Age 34 with an injury.

Joe Montana took a hit at age 34 and basically missed the next two years, though he had a couple of productive years after that.

Tory Aikman took too many shots to the head at age 34 and was done.

Ben is 31 this year. This year is shot, it appears. Can we get good enough again for him to win a Super Bowl, when it appears that 34 is the magic age for a bad hit to take a QB out of the game? Ben has just not taken care of himself the way Brady and Manning and Brees have. Not that he's been in their league on accuracy either.

Keep in mind that the Steelers have had a lousy track record with drafting QB's, not just in the ones they have picked, but the ones they have passed over. Unitas was in training camp. Could have had Marino.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby LenSherwood » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:46 am

Pommah-- You have a solid point about the diminishing ability of QBs at age 34. Manning and Brady defy that, but they have different styles of play and are frankly smarter than Ben in the pocket. As you well remember, Bradshaw took a tremendous beating in his day because QBs were not protected at all then--pass rushers would finish their hit ten seconds after the QB released the ball. Ben has been taking that kind of old fashioned pounding. The only difference is that orthorpaedic surgeons are better now. Maybe they can wire Ben together...

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Pommah » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:04 am

The phenomenon of guys like Brady, Manning, even Brees being this productive this late in their careers is new. None of these guys like to take a hit and have protected themselves well.

My worry is Ben will become like a Favre, somewhat a caricature of his old self, and his team not willing to take him out because he is who he is.

As for Bradshaw, this is the kind of stuff the man had to put up with back in the day. The rules are a tad different, to say the least.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_BuDursFIg

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ohio » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:35 pm

Pommah wrote:The phenomenon of guys like Brady, Manning, even Brees being this productive this late in their careers is new. None of these guys like to take a hit and have protected themselves well.

My worry is Ben will become like a Favre, somewhat a caricature of his old self, and his team not willing to take him out because he is who he is.

Well people... Manning is very smart. But he is the weakest arm of all the starting QBs. Just look at his deep ball or "fastball". Not even close to the likes of Luck or anybody else. But he is very smart and places the ball where it has to be. He keeps the hits to a minimum. Delivers quickly and doesn-t risk scrambling that much.

Let-s not forget that the motorcycle accident was maybe the strongest hit that Ben took. That alone took 2 or 3 years off is career. But I bet that Ben is not playing with us with 34 like previously posted

Previous

Return to Stillers Talk