Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Stillers sign Lions TE to take Mahan's spot on roster

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Stillers.com Team

Stillers sign Lions TE to take Mahan's spot on roster

Postby StillMill » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:07 pm

Another bold, audacious move by Colbert, who signed Lions TE Sean McHugh.

Did we really need a 3rd TE when Starks can play there as a blocker?? And, did we really need yet another former Lion?

Colbert apparently cut a deal with Tomlin after Tomlin cut Drummond. This was the compromise. Lion for Lion. 8-)

Practice Squad

Re: Stillers sign Lions TE to take Mahan's spot on roster

Postby ghodzilla5150 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:26 pm

Does not seem like a bad signing to me. The guy can play both TE and FB according to some reports.

The talk of Starks playing TE was outright bullshit.

Who would you have signed?

Seasoned Veteran

Postby logjammin » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:04 pm

I thought the compromise was they had to sign somebody named Sean if they cut somebody named Sean.

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:11 pm

ghodzilla5150 wrote:

O-line is the team weakness. I would have at least brought in former Bengal, Willie Anderson

Stillers.com Team

Postby trenches » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:18 pm

Is he any better than the TE's already release? He's a Penn State guy and did nothing there followed by nothing in the NFL.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby LambertoCincoOcho » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:08 pm

Willie is coming off a broken leg and phuckin Mendenhall can't hang on to the football. I would have made a play for Rudy when the Bungles cut him. In my opinion he's the best football player that was cut in years.

Stillers.com Team

Postby StillMill » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:19 pm

LambertoCincoOcho wrote:Willie is coming off a broken leg and phuckin Mendenhall can't hang on to the football. I would have made a play for Rudy when the Bungles cut him. In my opinion he's the best football player that was cut in years.

I agree on Rudi's prowess (notwithstanding that we're fairly deep at RB right now, and Rudi probably wouldn't help much on spec teams....)

The problem with Rudi is that Colbert was not interested in the guy.....until he became a Lion. Now, Colbert is probably calling Millen & Co. 5 times a day to inquire about Rudi..... :P

Grizzled Veteran

Postby No l Gravity l » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:53 am

LambertoCincoOcho wrote:Willie is coming off a broken leg and phuckin Mendenhall can't hang on to the football. I would have made a play for Rudy when the Bungles cut him. In my opinion he's the best football player that was cut in years.

OJ Simpson? Did you return?! :celebrate:

Practice Squad

Postby ghodzilla5150 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:27 am

O
-line is the team weakness. I would have at least brought in former Bengal, Willie Anderson

That's a lot of money that the Steelers probably don't have.

Practice Squad

Postby #58 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:51 am

ghodzilla5150 wrote:Does not seem like a bad signing to me. The guy can play both TE and FB according to some reports.

The talk of Starks playing TE was outright bullshit.

Dre Moore. I know we would've had to sign him to the 53 man roster but what the hell. The guy has to be an upgrade over Kirschke or Eason.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby WoodsonOfSteel » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:40 pm

He has good size but his overall career stats are on the scrub side of things.

Perhaps he was brought in to help in 2 tight-end run situations? Goalline run blocking?

I'm not so sure I like it, but again... Gotta trust coach.

Here's to football! :cheers:

Practice Squad

Postby Zorro » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:42 am

There should be a warning on this thread. "Please suspend logic and reason at the door. You are now entering the land of make believe."

Sign Rudi - Great idea - let's go get another RB when the Steelers have the deepest backfield in their history. Besides, the Bengals must have cut him because he's still an all-star.

Sign Willie - Another hum dinger - Willie was cut because he wouldn't take a pay cut in Cincy. I'm sure he's play for peanuts just for the honor of wearing black and gold - how much cap space do we have?

Dre Moore must be better than Keirshke - Of course the highest drafted player to get cut is better than Travis. - he reported fat and out of shape to camp and he is a ROOKIE - I'm sure tampa cut him as a character test to see if he was loyal to teh franchise and would sign on their practice squad despite offers from the steelers

I seriously can't stand ignorance.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby WoodsonOfSteel » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:32 am

when the Steelers have the deepest backfield in their history

I wanted to refute this then... Stopped to think... And couldn't think of ANY backfield in the history of at least ME watching football as well-rounded and all-around dangerous as this bunch. Rudi Johnson? No thanks. He doesn't fit this backfield equation at aaaaall.

I'm sure he'd* play for peanuts just for the honor of wearing black and gold

I'd do anything to suit-up for this team. A reality I'll never see. :sufootballhelmet:

That said, I'm sure ANY current Bungal that wants to get the Hell outta dodge while there's still water under the ship would do the same. They'd probably glory-hole the entire Executive Staff just to get a try-out. Afterall... They ARE in Cincinnati. Most of the players have done time and know what it's like to be behind bars AND have 'needs'. Maybe Mr. Anderson has some knee pads just for his meetings with owners?

(okay... so that was just to crack on Cincinnati more than anything)

Willie Anderson. No thanks. Do not want.

DO want to see how big and mean this OLine will be come the 2nd half of this season.

Couldn't tell you about the cap space. There's some people that are on-top of all the financial going-ons with the team. I'm not one of 'em. I hate the business side of things as it is for ruining the 'sport'... So I don't follow that part of it. That said, I'm not going to apologize for my ignorance on that matter. :sufu: As spoken by Joey Porter...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIHY_6fzWUQ

(Slide it to 0:25 for optimal effect)

:sufu:

I'm sure tampa cut him as a character test to see if he was loyal to teh franchise and would sign on their practice squad despite offers from the steelers

Or maybe he is just 'teh' suck.

Here's to football! :cheers:

Return to Stillers Talk