Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Bad news -- Foote returns to practice

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Stillers.com Team

Bad news -- Foote returns to practice

Postby StillMill » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:08 pm

from wire reports: "Steelers LB Larry Foote practiced for the first time since injuring his knee Aug. 23 and expects to start in the season opener.

Foote took first-team reps in his first practice back and appears to have fended off Lawrence Timmons, who will play in nickel packages."

Fuuuucck. Shitfuck. Sumbitch. Fuck. mutherfuk. With his speed, athleticism, and youth, Timmons should be on the field for 97% of the snaps. Total fuking bullshit. I'm absolutely fuking livid. :twisted:

Grizzled Veteran

Re: Bad news -- Foote returns to practice

Postby Hi5Steeler » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:37 pm

why be livid that foote is healthy? thats great news not bad. if timmons is good enough he will eventually take footes place this year. if foote plays lights out then the steelers win by having two ballers....timmons will just have to be used in different packages. and once timmons takes over with a healthy foote as a backup our team is safer in case timmons goes down.

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby Guinness » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:05 pm

StillMill wrote:
Fuuuucck. Shitfuck. Sumbitch. Fuck. mutherfuk. With his speed, athleticism, and youth, Timmons should be on the field for 97% of the snaps. Total fuking bullshit. I'm absolutely fuking livid. :twisted:

Come on...stop sugar coating it and tell us how you really feel. Timmons is a beast I can't imagine he will rot on the bench like last season.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby WoodsonOfSteel » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:37 pm

I wouldn't call Foote a 'baller'. He's consistent in the sack department... Which really isn't anything to write home about averaging 4 over the last 3 seasons.

His tackle total has slowly dropped too in that time. He's at that age where he should really be blowing it up and he's failing to do anything more than be a mediocre player... Statistically speaking.

I like the fact that he's healthy... But I feel Timmons could contribute a LOT more as a starter than him. Sure, he'd make first-year starter mistakes... Yes, this IS only his second season in the league... But nothing anyone says will ever convince me Foote is better all-around than Timmons.

Then again... I don't coach them. I don't make the decisions. I'll trust it's the right move. I don't see Foote starting beyond week 6.

Stillers.com Team

Postby trenches » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:06 pm

The Timmons situation reminds me of a healthy Polamalu situation (caveat...somewhat!). He's going to get out of position and/or make mistakes at times but his nose for the ball and his play making ability will outweigh the negative.

I agree with Mill, he needs to be on the field. :suplusone:

Stillers.com Team

Postby Nel » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:13 pm

StillMill wrote:from wire reports: "Steelers LB Larry Foote practiced for the first time since injuring his knee Aug. 23 and expects to start in the season opener.

Foote took first-team reps in his first practice back and appears to have fended off Lawrence Timmons, who will play in nickel packages."

I like the two words, "expects" and "appears."

The words mean Foote's reality may be at variance with Tomlin's.

I expect Timmons to start by game 3 or 4 at the latest. If not, then Tomlin may still be gun shy with the veterans.

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:59 pm

Fox might be better than Foote. Maybe.
Still, I want all the guys on our roster healthy.
I just want the coaches to play the best ones.

Stillers.com Team

Postby StillMill » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:29 pm

thesteelhammer wrote:Fox might be better than Foote. Maybe.
Still, I want all the guys on our roster healthy.
I just want the coaches to play the best ones.

When the coaches refuse to play the BEST player, then, sadly enough, all we can do is hope that a lethargic starter is hampered enough to sit the bench. Not being cruel; simply being a pragmatic realist...

Practice Squad

Postby StillCanadian » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:04 am

STILL is correct - sitting 5 rows from the top at Skydome for the 2nd pre-season game against the Gills showed me the weakness in the middle of our D. Time for youth to take us to the top of our division and beyond!

Let's go Steelers!!!!

Grizzled Veteran

Postby WoodsonOfSteel » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:20 am

2nd pre-season game against the Gills showed me the weakness in the middle of our D

Sans that game, I think the interior of our defense played pretty darn decent this pre-season. I can certainly appreciate you feeling the way you do, although I don't want to base the way I feel about the D off a single performance... Especially if it were:

1.) Seen live
2.) IN THE PRE-SEASON

;)

I am certainly on board though with the youth. I also believe that Timmons has no business on the bench more times than not. He's clearly learned the defense and is now ready to go out each week and crack some skulls. The thing that impressed me most about him was his ability to cover the flat. He did get beat on a pass play up the middle... But it looked like he was leaning... I did like how he managed to gain the ground back and save the TD.

I'm sold on Timmons. I'm sold on McFadden. I will certainly be disappointed if both are on the bench come the 1st play from scrimmage for our defense.

Here's to football! :cheers:

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby gutofsteel » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:22 am

The Patriots have proven execution wins out over talent time and again. It's why Tomlin and LeBeau will favor Foote until Timmons proves he isn't a liability. Cowher was that way. Many coaches are that way.

Stillers.com Team

Postby StillMill » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:40 am

gutofsteel wrote:The Patriots have proven execution wins out over talent time and again. It's why Tomlin and LeBeau will favor Foote until Timmons proves he isn't a liability. Cowher was that way. Many coaches are that way.

While that may be true, this is more true -- talented execution wins out over vanilla, routine execution. Every time. For instance, many olympic sprinters executed their 100 and 200 meter sprints precisely as they were coached and 99.9% mechanically sound and correct. And they still got their asses beaten by Usain Bolt.

Don't make Foote out to be anything more than what he is -- a mediocre 4th round pick who has no acute quickness or speed, and has been a starter based entirely on merely happening to be on the roster of a 3-4 team (with TWO starting ILBs) when Ken Bell was released after 04.

Timmons is clearly the superior all around player. Will he make some mistakes early on ? YES. But by week 8 or 9, he will have sanded off the rough edges and heading down the stretch, he will give this team 3 times better play than Larry Slow-a-foote.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby UKBlackNGold » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:49 am

Its also worth bearing in mind that if Timmons only see's limited action, that'll be basically two seasons without him playing any sustained football at all, basically he's not played consistantly, since about December/January 06/07.

That can't be good!

Practice Squad

Postby Zorro » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:48 am

StillMill wrote:Timmons is clearly the superior all around player. Will he make some mistakes early on ? YES. But by week 8 or 9, he will have sanded off the rough edges and heading down the stretch, he will give this team 3 times better play than Larry Slow-a-foote.

And I predict that by that time, he will be getting the defensive snaps to refect that improvement (barring injuries). It's a process. Relax and let it play out. Timmons will be getting all the snaps in time. It will most likely be sooner rather than later. If he is the beast you believe him to be, his play will display that, and he will get more PT.

In truth, this is all just speculation. No one but Tomlin knows what the real plan is. We cannot look too far into his comments to the media. The only thing that can be relied upon is what we see on game day.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Hi5Steeler » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:23 pm

If Timmons is the superior all around player he will be the starter over foote.

IF FOOTE STARTS then you guys are wrong plain and simple. Youve got four or five coaches with about 100 years total coaching experience in the NFL with their jobs on the line and a driven new coach. They will put the best man in.

In all seriousness do you want timmons to start if he makes 1.5 sacks a game but gives up four huge plays in four quarters? or do you want foote who will play solid ....as part of the overall D and make NO mistakes normally?

flash and splash is nice and all but one mistake could cost your team a loss. you guys are saying thats ok.

IM SAYING screw that ill take the boring guy and the win

Stillers.com Team

Postby trenches » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:15 pm

Hi5Steeler wrote:Youve got four or five coaches with about 100 years total coaching experience in the NFL with their jobs on the line and a driven new coach. They will put the best man in.

Hi5, coaches can be tainted from being too close to the action to have true perspective, by paralysis by analysis, by over thinking, etc. Experience doesn't always equate to great judgment.

I think everyone seems to agree he'll eventually be the starter this year. The real question is, with the tough schedule at hand can they afford to wait? That more he's in there early, the better off the team will be down the stretch when it really counts, IMHO.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Hi5Steeler » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:38 am

trenches is that jack black in your avatar? in Nacho Libre???

funny ass dude

Practice Squad

Postby #58 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:01 pm

Who gives a shit who starts? Timmons will get just as many snaps as Foote, if not more. It's not always about who starts the game. Sometimes it's about who's playing at crunch time in the 4th quarter. Timmons will see the field a ton this season. Relax and be happy that we have some great depth at the LB position.

Practice Squad

Postby doomed » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:00 pm

Foote should not start and in fact should be the 4th ilb.He cant run, cant cover and cant play spec. teams .The reason being obvious to all.The son of a b is slow.I had girlfriends who could cover the ground from my front door to their ride home faster than he moves.Knowing the defense means little when you cant get to where you need to be.Just ask mensa Alexander.1st post on board,screw all who lack the wisdom to know i'm right.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby WoodsonOfSteel » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:37 pm

Sometimes it's about who's playing at crunch time in the 4th quarter. Timmons will see the field a ton this season. Relax and be happy that we have some great depth at the LB position.

:suplusone:

That's what I'm talkin' about.

Next

Return to Stillers Talk