Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Byron, Charlie, Or Someone Else?

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Grizzled Veteran

Byron, Charlie, Or Someone Else?

Postby Steelers76 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:16 am

So it looks like Ben might be out for awhile, if not the rest of the season. Sports Talk Shows around here are firing up with different opinions on what The Steelers should do at the position if No. 7 is indeed done for the year. Seems like what most of what I heard and read towards Leftwich is negative, with a contigent of fans thinking Batch should get the nod, what with his 5-2 record as a starter here, as well as the fact Byron hasn't won a game as a starting signal caller anywhere since 2006. I even heard a few grumblings that The Steelers should go out and try to sign another QB.

My thought is I'm fine with either Leftwich or Batch as QB while Benny's sidelined, as they aren't going anywhere without him in the starting line-up anyways. To sign another QB,(Is there any out there doing nothing that are better than Byron and Charlie?), and not only expect him to start, but play well and be effective is beyond silly. But that's me. Thoughts on this subject?

Grizzled Veteran

Re: Byron, Charlie, Or Someone Else?

Postby Pommah » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:57 am

Couldnt agree with you more. Only go get somebody else if Lefty gets hurt and we're down to one guy. And people are panicking about the season. Everybody has forgotten how to play Lefty, nobody has seen him in years, nobody knows his tendencies, etc. It's not like there isn't enough talent on the rest of the team to rise to the occasion.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:46 pm

BRING THE TEBOW CIRCUS TO TOWN! YEAH!!!!!!!! :sudancin:

NOT! I for one favor Batch over Leftwich based solely on what I saw in the past. (which seems like a long, long, time ago).

All kidding aside, the Pats, Steelers, or another high caliber team would have converted Tebow to H-back, TE, or RB by now. Jets are tards.

Stillers.com Team

Postby trenches » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:53 am

My reason for wanting Batch over Lefty is based on him being more accurate and having a quicker release on short throws. That seems more tuned to the offense. If the defense is going to hawk the line of scrimmage to sell out to the run, then it seems that Batch would be the better choice for short quick slants/outs/etc. But let's be serious, if the o-line doesn't come out and establish their run blocking (to at least some degree), I don't think it matters who's at QB.

I agree, Steelers76, if you think you can just bring a guy in off the street and have him be effective then you have something you need to share with the rest of us because it's damn good stuff.

If Brown and Wallace were to be on the field together again AND the o-line could buy some time and the game plan were adjusted to start looking deep more often, then obviously Lefty's cannon becomes a more intriguing weapon but there are a lot of IF's there. Lefty, though, certainly seems to want the ball and has had a week to prepare knowing that he's the starter. Let's just hope the injury bug doesn't continue to bite him -- I won't be digging the vibe if we go down to one capable QB. It would be OH SO SATISFYING to beat the Ratbirds with a back up at the helm in the national spotlight!

:sucope:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:43 pm

"It would be OH SO SATISFYING to beat the Ratbirds with a back up at the helm in the national spotlight!"

One thing working in our favor is that Ben's injury does alleviate some pressure off the Stillers. Nobody expects them to win. I would love to see the D dominate this game with Harrison pounding Flacco to the ground continuously. I'm hoping to see this improved secondary steal a few balls, but not counting on it. Mendy needs to show me something because I favor Dwyer and his size at this point. Maybe with Ray-Ray out of this game Mendy will run with some balls. If ever we needed a dominant running game, this game is it. :suxfingers:

Return to Stillers Talk