Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Steelers made the right pick in 2006! remember chad jackson

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Grizzled Veteran

Steelers made the right pick in 2006! remember chad jackson

Postby Hi5Steeler » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:37 am

Steelers Made Right Pick in 2006
Posted Aug 31st 2008 5:50PM by JJ Cooper (author feed)
Filed under: Giants, Patriots, Steelers, AFC North

Three seasons ago, everyone knew the Steelers desperately needed a wide receiver in the draft. It was a glaring enough need that everyone assumed the Steelers would take a wideout in the first round, which meant the Steelers were linked to three names: Santonio Holmes, Chad Jackson and Sinorce Moss.

With Antwaan Randle El leaving in free agency, it was hard to find a mock draft that didn't have the Steelers taking one of the three. And several suggested the Steelers would trade up to get Jackson.

Good job by the Steelers to pick the right guy.

Three years later, Holmes appears ready to challenge for a spot in the Pro Bowl this year. The other two potential Steelers picks rank as big-time busts. Jackson has just been released by the Patriots and Moss just barely made the Giants roster--he was considered in danger of being cut this week.

Holmes was considered the surest bet, based on his extremely productive career at Ohio State. Jackson was considered the riskier pick with the highest upside--as he put on a show at the scouting combine, and Moss was considered a useful wideout/returner, although his size meant he may be more of a slot receiver.Three years later it's amazing how far off scouts were on Jackson and Moss. Moss (21 catches for 223 yards) hasn't been healthy enough to stay on the field, and Jackson, who missed last year with a torn ACL, finished his Patriots career with 13 catches.

That being said, I wonder if the Steelers should try to sign Jackson. He will come pretty cheap, and he still has more upside than Steelers No. 4/5 receiver Dallas Baker (a former teammate of Jackson's at Florida). While Limas Sweed will likely be the Steelers No. 3 receiver by next season, Pittsburgh needs a solid No. 4 wideout for the 2009 season (assuming Nate Washington leaves in free agency). Jackson may be a low cost addition who could fill that need. He ended up finishing the preseason third on the Patriots in catches, and he still has the size and speed to at least be a decent deep threat. The knock on his is that he struggles to learn the playbook and gives inconsistent effort, but as a No. 4 receiver, that's not as big a concern.

And besides. Bill Belichick has spent years signing cast-off Steelers (Chad Scott, Hank Poteat and Chidi Iuwoma for example), with the Patriots on the schedule, it also wouldn't hurt to see what Jackson has to say about the Patriots' playbook.

Grizzled Veteran

Re: Steelers made the right pick in 2006! remember chad jackson

Postby Hi5Steeler » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:40 am

and yes i was a HUGE santonio fan! and when everyone here was calling him BUST early his rookie year i called BS!... Everyone was saying we made the wrong pick and should have drafted chad jackson...and that we wouldnt have had to move up to get jackson like we did santonio...

and AGAIN I CALLED BS. i said jackson was shit compared to holmes....many many times

i told you so.

ok i can go to bed now

Practice Squad

Postby Steel Reinvented » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:34 am

I do recall alot of posters here back then calling Holmes a bust, a thug and a wasted draft pick. Thankfully NONE of those posters seem to be around anymore.

As far as bringing Jackson on as a Steeler.....That's a bit down the road from now. I'd put him on the practice squad in a heartbeat though. The kid still has alot to prove.

Stillers.com Team

Postby Nel » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:32 pm

I think if Santonio had been drafted by the Bungles, he might have turned out differently as a person and an athlete.

I think that his being in the classy Stiller organization might have helped him to stay out of trouble and to become the best he can be.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Hi5Steeler » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:07 pm

who would you cut off the 53 to bring chad jackson on board? would anyone do this? If hes played well in the preseason.....and year three is breakout year....id almost consider it. Id maybe cut donovan woods for him?

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Iron Gut » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:21 pm

Hi5Steeler wrote:who would you cut off the 53 to bring chad jackson on board? would anyone do this? If hes played well in the preseason.....and year three is breakout year....id almost consider it. Id maybe cut donovan woods for him?

As of right now, they only have 52 on the roster. They can sign a player without having to dump a roster spot. That said, I would prefer adding a lineman to the 53. Parquet?

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Hi5Steeler » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:26 pm

we dont need a receiver at all yes. we need OL or DL

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Hi5Steeler » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:26 pm

Hey I asked this on another thread i couldnt find....do you know where to find that t shirt online????

thanks

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby Guinness » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:33 pm

When I read that Chad Jackson was cut I immediately thought of the 2006 draft when ONLY Holmes and Jackson were mentioned as possible first round picks. It also shows that even the Pats can screw up a high draft pick.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby WoodsonOfSteel » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:00 pm

Hi5Steeler wrote:Hey I asked this on another thread i couldnt find....do you know where to find that t shirt online????

thanks

Here's a cheap-ass ripoff:

http://cgi.ebay.com/STEELERS-GOOD-BAD-UGLY-CRIMINALS-FOOTBALL-SHIRT-jersey_W0QQitemZ280261849901QQihZ018QQcategoryZ15687QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

You can find a better-quality shirt that's similar, but not exact in this also:

http://cgi.ebay.com/PITTSBURGH-STEELERS-LOT-OF-4-TSHIRT-SHIRT-TEE-SOCKS-XL_W0QQitemZ230286942764QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20080901?IMSfp=TL0809011317r21279

Return to Stillers Talk