Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » The Sandy Effect for this weekend.

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Grizzled Veteran

The Sandy Effect for this weekend.

Postby PSUPERCY » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:40 am

Having lived in pre and post Katrina New Orleans I can recall the first Saints game back in the Superdome after the storm. Obviously, my heart goes out to them in the Northeast. However, this is a football site and I have to bring up the obvious. If you live in the NY/NJ area, this has to be a distraction this week and gives the Steelers a chance. There was no way the Falcons were going to win that game back in 2006, but the Saints had a whole season to regroup and recover. That said after 9-11 the Giants (not these exact Giants) had to regroup and rally in a hurry. In my opinion the events of this week will factor into Sundays game, just not sure how. Thoughts?

Hall of Famer

Re: The Sandy Effect for this weekend.

Postby isfry » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:34 pm

Of course, our hearts go out to all those who lost loved ones, or homes, or even electricity, over the last week. My thoughts, as far as football goes, are that the distraction and upheaval of the last week or so will definitely take a toll on the Giants. Moreover, this storm was not, like 9/11, a rallying cry for the team or the state. I actaully lived in NY in the early aughts and I remember going to Yankee stadium for the playoffs after 9/11 and it was insane. I don't expect that kind of fervor from either the fans or the team. Also, the Giants just came off a nailbiter victory on the road against a divisional opponent and sit comfortably atop the NFC East. All signs point to the Steelers being able to take advantage of some factors in their favor, assuming of course the right mindset and approach are implemented and instituted by the coaching staff...

Stillers.com Team

Postby trenches » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:31 pm

I don't know about the storm's effects... The Steelers, too, are off their routine although the G-Men are obviously MUCH more affected. It's hard to tell how emotions will play out.

The G-Men are tied for the league lead with 16 interceptions, tied for 7th with 21 sacks yet 26th in yards per game.

The Steerers are tied for next to last with 3 interceptions, tied for 25th with 12 sacks while being 1st in yards/game.

Add the fact that the G-Men lead the league by giving up only 7 sacks while Pittsburgh is tied for 19th with 14 sacks allowed and something has to give. Despite the G-Men being at an apparent disadvantage due to the storm, there seems to be a mismatch in the G-Men's favor as far as QB pressure from both the offensive and defensive sides of the ball. Add Dwyer's doubtful status and the Steelers running game takes a hit. The black 'n gold needs to be the aggressor in this game and jump on the G-Men. If they don't and they fall behind, the G-Men could turn this into a route. If the offense can jump out early, I think we'll have a battle.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Pump-N-Iron » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:59 pm

Didn't really expect the Zebras to give the game to the Giants due to hurricane Sandy... but I guess the defending Super Bowl champs *NEED* this much help! OMFG!!!! REALLY? And Adolf Goodell is AT the friggin' game! We are doomed!

Return to Stillers Talk