Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Should we cut Mendenhall next year ?

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Grizzled Veteran

Should we cut Mendenhall next year ?

Postby Ohio » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:44 am

The guy hasn't produced. A 1st round on a RB is wasted. Let's draft some 5-6th rounder. I mean look at the last few weeks :

Redman is the first RB to receive for 100+ in the last 40 years
Dwyer is the first RB to rush for 100+ in consecutive weeks

Mendenhall costs us a lot. Some of the best RB are late rounds or undrafted ( Washington, Houston, etc. ).

For all the Pittsburgh Media that we were plauding Mendenhall the reality is the guy didn't do anything since drafted. He got his shot. Now go elsewhere... What do you think?

Hall of Famer

Re: Should we cut Mendenhall next year ?

Postby isfry » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:06 am

I have been as enamored with jonathan Dwyer as anyone the last couple of weeks. That having been said, we played two pretty weak run defenses (Cincy #22, WAS #10) the last couple of weeks and Dwyer has been the recipient of a couple of pieces of good fortune; Pouncey is back, Adams appears to be figuring it out, and the O-line as a whole seem to be healthy and coming together in a way we have not seen in the last three years or so. I prefer Dwyer's downhill style and "bruiser with quick feet" approach (ala "The Bus") to Socrates' overly thought-out dance behind the line bullshit, but it might be too soon to assume that Dwyer is a long term solution at running back and the Mendenhall cannot contribute. Realistically, by the end of the season, which your question really contemplates, I wouldn't be surprised if, the team having all of the necessary info, you turn out to be right.

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby BoltX » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:05 am

I agree. Mend is a very capable backup. Situational back if you will. But not worth the first round money. So I think it will come down to $$$ in the off season. But I think Tomlin is in love with the guy for some reason.....

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ohio » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:25 pm

BoltX wrote:I agree. Mend is a very capable backup. Situational back if you will. But not worth the first round money. So I think it will come down to $$$ in the off season. But I think Tomlin is in love with the guy for some reason.....

Let's hope he gets out of the way. With his salary we can pay the entire backfield without losing a bit ( actually we should be improving ). I do not get why we drafted the guy in first place. RB is not such an important position anymore. And you can pick up excellent players in later rounds. Plus we should not forget the durability issue. It seems like they have 6 seasons maximum today. Consider that Mendenhall has been injury prone.I think he is better in another place...

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Pommah » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:04 pm

Mendenhall is an unrestricted free agent. I don't think he will bring much on the open market as he has never been one of the premier RB's, is getting older now and has been hurt several times. I remember how fast Willie Parker was leading the NFL when his leg was broken and could never regain his old form.

That said, Mendy knows the system. I am thinking keep him if he doesn't cost too much, and if Dwyer picks up the starting role, evolve Mendy into the 3rd down back. I think we could get a few more years out of him in that role plus he could be a capable backup.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelers76 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:50 pm

What about trying to trade him for some draft picks, and/or a high draft selection?

Practice Squad

Postby NOVASteel79 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:28 pm

I do like Mendenhall, and think he's really under appreciated by a lot of Steeler fans. That being said though, if he really is an unrestricted FA at the end of this season we have to let him walk because we are going to be way above the cap going into the offseason again, and Dwyer just looks too good. He may very well be our best back now, and Redman, Rainey, and Batch is still very good depth behind him.

Stillers.com Team

Postby trenches » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:35 pm

NOVASteel79 wrote:I do like Mendenhall, and think he's really under appreciated by a lot of Steeler fans. That being said though, if he really is an unrestricted FA at the end of this season we have to let him walk because we are going to be way above the cap going into the offseason again, and Dwyer just looks too good. He may very well be our best back now, and Redman, Rainey, and Batch is still very good depth behind him.

I largely agree, Nova. The largest issue with Mendy is value. He won't likely accept his worth and I don't think I'd trust his health at this point. Too much risk involved.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ohio » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:19 am

Steelers76 wrote:What about trying to trade him for some draft picks, and/or a high draft selection?

Unfortunately value is not there. I don't think somebody would offer higher than a 6th rounder.

Just look at the Cheatriots. They took one of the best CB for a third. And a CB is much much more difficult to find.

RB you can get anywhere in the draft. It is just a matter of what you look for. Speedy, stingy, bus like, good receiver...

You know... and you get a brand fresh new 21 22 yrs old that has 6 7 seasons.

Mendenhall is past his prime ( if we can say he ever was.... ). Injury prone. Second contract ( it means he wants money ).

And I forgot... With the new collective agreement taking a rookie is much cheaper today

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Coke Oven » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:56 am

Mendenhall is to running backs as Obanga is to presidents.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Still Peon » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:31 pm

Ohio wrote:Now go elsewhere... What do you think?

Yes........like yesterday.

Return to Stillers Talk