Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Stillers-Bungals Postgame Analysis and Grades

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Stillers.com Team

Stillers-Bungals Postgame Analysis and Grades

Postby StillMill » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:19 am

Stillers-Bungals Postgame Analysis and Grades has been posted by Still Mill at Stillers.com.

Grizzled Veteran

Re: Stillers-Bungals Postgame Analysis and Grades

Postby Pommah » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:38 am

Geez Mill if that was an abbreviated writeup I wont have time for a "normal" one.

My observations:
1. Our special teams play sucks. ST requires extra effort and attention to detail to be tops. Which we don't have.
2. A good team would have capitalized on all our mistakes last night and blown us away. The Bengals are not a good team. 8-8 maybe at end of season. Just try playing like that against a Green Bay.
3. Not only did Wally drop 3 catches, he had a chance to pick up a 1st down in the 3Q with the RAC but instead got easily arm-tackled just shy of the mark by a lone DB. Hines Ward would have bowled over the DB just for the fun of it, let alone picking up the 1D. To think this man wanted tops in the league receiver pay and was willing to hold out for it. He should be 4th on our depth chart now.
4. I was impressed with Dwyer's running throught the LOS but when he got into the secondary it seemed he could be tackled by a DB breathing on him hard. He should be able to carry 3 DB's on his back before a 4th trips him up and topples him.
5. We didn't piss away a lead going into the 4th quarter because we didn't have one. Hey, new strategy? Not impressed at all with the Bungles play calling. Why they didn't throw more to Green I can't figure out.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby LenSherwood » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:39 am

It was a win, on the road, against a division opponent. Three good things. But who knows what will show up week to week. It is very possible that they make no adjustments and RG3 will bury that defense. The Steelers do have one advatange against him in the Timmons is an athletic linebacker who has enough speed to spy on RG3 to prevent him from running. Maybe. I believe that the Steelers have to score 31 every week now--nothing short of that is acceptable.

Practice Squad

Postby jdpdts » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:57 pm

The Steelers won. Woodley had a pick. JAJAJAjAjAjAjAJAjAJ

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:41 pm

Tomlin should bench Wallace for at least a half in favor of Sanders. The drops are out of control and his overall effort blows. He has no desire to go across the middle or go up and fight for balls. Ben probably trusts Cotchery and Sanders more than him by now. Thank god we signed Brown and not Wallace. Imagine how he would have played had he received his money?

The problem with the defense starts in the middle with Hampton. The coaching staff schemes the middle of the D as if Hampton were still in his prime. He no longer commands double-teams and should not even sniff the field during obvious passing downs. I like what I have seen from McLendon even as limited as it has been.

Stillers.com Team

Postby trenches » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:22 pm

SoCal Stiller wrote:The drops are out of control and his overall effort blows. He has no desire to go across the middle or go up and fight for balls.

Amen and it's beyond annoying to watch. Apparently since he's only making 25% of what he thinks he's worth, he only give 25% effort.

With some of the drops, I'm wondering if someone is slipping him Teflon spray instead of stick'em. :?

Seasoned Veteran

Postby pinpon » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:28 pm

Take the win. Firing the ST coach before the season may have something to do with it. Hasn't been this bad on ST since 3 years ago. The penalties are ridiculous.
The Bungles let us off the hook. Some flashes of good Steeler football mixed in with buffonery and penalties. RG3 might embarass this D though.

Stillers.com Team

Postby trenches » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:53 pm

LenSherwood wrote:It was a win, on the road, against a division opponent. Three good things. But who knows what will show up week to week. It is very possible that they make no adjustments and RG3 will bury that defense. The Steelers do have one advatange against him in the Timmons is an athletic linebacker who has enough speed to spy on RG3 to prevent him from running. Maybe. I believe that the Steelers have to score 31 every week now--nothing short of that is acceptable.

Well said. As you and others have stated, RG3 could be worrisome. Particularly since he can buy time and we know how the secondary has looked at times. On the other hand, it's a home game and the team been more sound at home from a defensive perspective.

Whatever the case, this was a must needed road win. Maybe the team can build off this road success. I won't say they got a monkey off their collective back because they still have flaws. But, to get a win on the road and to finish a game finally was big... particularly with the Ravens losing and appearing to have many issues of their own.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:03 am

trenches wrote:Whatever the case, this was a must needed road win. Maybe the team can build off this road success. I won't say they got a monkey off their collective back because they still have flaws. But, to get a win on the road and to finish a game finally was big... particularly with the Ravens losing and appearing to have many issues of their own.

Amen, trenches. With the Ratbirds left to lick their wounds during the bye next week, if we can get a win at home against the Redskins we are right in the hunt for our division. Whether that means much or not remains to be seen. I loved watching Dwyer rumble. Would like to see more of that.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ohio » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:31 pm

isfry wrote:
trenches wrote:Amen, trenches. With the Ratbirds left to lick their wounds during the bye next week, if we can get a win at home against the Redskins we are right in the hunt for our division. Whether that means much or not remains to be seen. I loved watching Dwyer rumble. Would like to see more of that.

Honestly RB position can be almost anybody. I'm still thinking that the pick on Mendenhall was wasted. You can pick a very good RB in the 3 or 4 round wihtout any problem. A 1st rounder should be used for that position... But the Steelers are the steelers...

Return to Stillers Talk