Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Grizzled Veteran

Kerayan Fox...future STAR???.... could be

Postby Hi5Steeler » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:24 pm

Steelers' Fox finding confidence
By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, September 1, 2008

Linebacker Keyaron Fox, who officially became a member of the Steelers when the final cuts were announced Saturday, held no illusions about what he was getting himself into when he signed with Pittsburgh in March.

Fox, who spent four years as a Kansas City Chiefs backup, was far from a lock to make the Steelers' 53-man roster. He also had to switch from playing in a 4-3 defense to a 3-4.

Acquired primarily because of his special-teams skills, Fox needed to also prove himself capable of calling defensive signals as the "buck" linebacker behind starter James Farrior.

With the Steelers opening the regular season Sunday against Houston Texans, Fox said he's finally settling in with his new team.

"My confidence level is up," said Fox, 26, a native of Atlanta who made 35 starts during his college career at Georgia Tech. "That helps a lot."

So does snaring an interception in the Steelers' final preseason game against Carolina last Thursday.

"Long overdue," Fox said. "I've been needing a play like that, just so I could take the ball home to my momma. Even though it's preseason, I'm keeping that ball. It gave me a boost of confidence going into the season."

Fox spoke frequently throughout the interview about his confidence level, which has never been higher.

His interception, for instance, was a direct result of knowing where he was supposed to be, not to mention where the quarterback was expected to deliver the ball.

"The quarterback was staring the guy down," Fox said. "I came from the back side. He never saw me coming."

There were times when a confused Fox wondered if he made the right call signing with the Steelers.

He understood that mastering a new defense presented a unique set of challenges. The early months were the hardest.

"They told me they were going to throw a lot at me," said Fox, who did play some 3-4 with the Chiefs in 2006. "I was having trouble picking it up. As time progressed, it started getting easier and easier.

"I was used to sitting back waiting for somebody else to make calls. Now, the calls are coming a little bit quicker."

Lately, Fox has looked back fondly on his initial meeting with coach Mike Tomlin that convinced him the Steelers would be a good fit for a young linebacker hoping to make a name for himself with a winning team.

"When I came in and talked to coach Tomlin, he said he still wanted me to concentrate on special teams," Fox said. "I also told him my goal was to play on defense. He liked that passion and desire, and we kind of just clicked."

John Harris can be reached at jharris@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.
Back to headlines

Practice Squad

Re: Kerayan Fox...future STAR???.... could be

Postby J & L Steel » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:14 pm

Here goes this fuckin copy and paste queen fruitcake HIV and his misleading title headings....

He's going to ruin this site like the other shitty one run by that moron CK,you watch.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby WoodsonOfSteel » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:36 pm

Well, let's not do anything ourselves to begin an avoidable demise to this site.

A good starting point is... Steer clear of the 3rd grade name calling and/or insults. I'm an adult and assume most all other posters on here are also. I certainly don't come here in hopes of starting or getting caught up in a flame war. It's TOO close to the season for such conduct to ensue and lead me to stop posting and potentially go back to another forum I used to frequently post to.

That said...

Moving forward... Hi5, would you mind only copy/pasting the RELEVANT contents of an article that applies to whatever heading you append?

It would certainly make for a more enjoyable forum experience.

Thank you sir.

Here's to football! :cheers:

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby Pittsburgh » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:52 pm

J&L
Who on earth do you think you are?
I haven't seen you Post one Article or Post of Value since you've joined up.

HighfiveSteeler is Part of the Nation and is a Brother.
You, based on your latest entry, are no Longer part of the Nation and are not a Brother.

Go Busta nut and relax...

Great read HighFive and i Agree with you.
Keyaron Fox has Great potential and some great speed and strength, I like him as a Backup and Speacial Teams STAR!

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Hi5Steeler » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:14 pm

I dont see how the title is misleading. Its about Kerayan FOX....and the content of thread is also. Did you not realize that James Harrison got his start just like Kerayan Fox? special team stud.
Did you know James harrison was cut from rosters and more than once?

I say Kerayan Fox will become a future star, if people dont agree thats great and thats why I made that title. To rile people up and make them post their true feelings. Too many people are just reading stillers.com and NOT POSTING.

My goal at this forum was the same as at the other forum. Find shit to post to get people posting....to get people to pop in more often....to get involved.....

YES I copy and paste articles. Whats the point? Because I do this your normal fan can just come here and get ALL the latest information. Instead of scouring the internet for random bits of info

thats how I started...I came to stillers to find out info...

but anyways its all cool and im up for some fun flame wars as stillers was famous for that.....but for right now im sober so im just answering the question or jab as it were.

p.s.
and tell us what you think about fox

Grizzled Veteran

Postby WoodsonOfSteel » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:31 pm

Personally, he didn't really 'stand out' in my eye watching through the pre-season. He DID somewhat bring himself to the forefront in the lone game of the pre-season I didn't get to see thanks to business travel.

I think it speaks for itself that he came from a 4-3 and adapted to learn the 3-4 Dick Lebeau style in enough time to make the team.

He will surely be a solid backup LB and help us where we really need it; special teams. He has decent size and speed.

Looks like he very well could make a name for himself at a 'star' capacity. I think he'll be one that ends up fine-tuning his skills in Pittsburgh then goes to make a name for himself elsewhere. See Mike Vrabel.

Here's to football! :cheers:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby No l Gravity l » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:55 pm

He will be a great backup to Farrior if he ever goes down or needs a breather.

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:57 pm

We don't have a problem with posters drawing other steelers fans attention to professional media articles about the steelers. That is just one fan helping out another. (though I am sometimes curious as to whether Hi5 has any thoughts he'd like to share with us about the articles he posts.)

As for FOX, he played awesome this preseason against back ups and scrubs. I would have like to see how he could do against some starters.

Return to Stillers Talk