Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Mike Adams=Draft Bust?

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Grizzled Veteran

Mike Adams=Draft Bust?

Postby Steelers76 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:49 am

I realize it's still way early, but does anyone else think that maybe Rookie OT Mike Adams may be an early round draft bust? Like I said it's early, but the guy seems totally lost out there at times.(Based on what I've seen all pre-season and the 1st game.) At any rate, what do you think?

Hall of Famer

Re: Mike Adams=Draft Bust?

Postby isfry » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:34 pm

I think we got spoiled a bit by how quickly and ably Pouncey and DeCastro (for a couple weeks) stepped up and fit in. Give it some time before Adams gets thrown under the bus. Also, has anyone considered that our Kugler may be at least a part of the problem we have had for the last couple of seasons? If so, Adams is the newly adopted kid in an already dysfunctional family, so maybe it will take even longer than it should. Easier to learn math when 2+2 actually DOES equal 4.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelers76 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:18 am

Not throwing him or anyone under the bus.....yet. I'm just asking about preliminary thoughts on him.

Hall of Famer

Postby isfry » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:42 pm

Sorry, bad choice of phrase. Didn't mean to put words in your mouth. Was just trying to voice my initial thoughts.

Hall of Famer

Postby PGHeaven » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:20 pm

Ill throw him under the bus. And we can throw other draft busts under there with him as well - including Heyward and Hood

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:14 pm

Colbert hasn't done well lately.

Adams has quick feet and long arms, but he lacks strength and technique.
Those things will take a lot of time to develop.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby No l Gravity l » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:41 am

Haven't posted in a while, just joined the Navy recently (what a mistake). But my thoughts:

I wasn't too happy about the Hood pick. I really despised him in college and thought he was meant purely to be a 4-3 DT. He would have been a monster if a team like the Colts picked him up playing alongside Freeney and Mathis. But for some bizarre reason, coming off a SB we thought we could just waste picks. In his 2009 year he absolutely blew, but our whole defense crumbled after Troy got hurt. It seems like he's picked up his game though. He seems to be getting to the quarterback more often than his first couple of years.

As for Heyward, GREAT pick purely from a player respective. He was a steal. This guy is your prototypical 3-4 DE. However, Keisel came off one of his best years and we weren't in dire need of a DE after we just picked Hood in the first round. Again, bizarre. Heyward will be great, there's no doubt in my mind. This guy wrecked at OSU.

Mike Adams is very raw. It'll take more time for him to adjust. He wasn't a sure bet in college and struggled against speed rushers. That's why he was projected into the early 2nd round at the highest and more often seen in the late 2nd or early 3rd round. I think he's pretty much a Max Starks clone but is more suited as a backup until he's ready.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby ballhair » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:22 am

Adams, Heyward & Hood are all worthless duds. It no wonder our defense sucks and we can't get any pressure on the QB. Wasted draft picks. Who scouted these lumps of shit? Set our team back big time. :cry:
The Steelers will only be as successful as Big Ben is!

Seasoned Veteran

Postby oldschoolhunkie » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:22 pm

Lots of issues with recent drafts, no doubt.. that's fair game... calling Adams a bust right now is asinine.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:02 pm

I completely agree with oldschool. How in the hell can you call a guy a bust after his 2nd NFL game ever? Give the guy a little time for shit sake. I'm sure your boss and co-workers probably thought most of you were a bust after your 2nd day on the job too. It's not like the guy was taken with the first pick in the draft. I'm sure Steelers management sees the potential there and I'm guessing they know a helluva lot more than some of the "experts" here.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby No l Gravity l » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:58 pm

I have no idea what you guys have seen in Heyward to call him a dud. Hood you can make a case for but Heyward rarely sees the field because of Keisel. Everytime I've seen him, he's looked good. Heyward was a monster DE at OSU.

Hall of Famer

Postby PGHeaven » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:16 pm

Heyward? You mean, Casper the friendly ghost?

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelers76 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:51 pm

SoCal Stiller wrote:I completely agree with oldschool. How in the hell can you call a guy a bust after his 2nd NFL game ever? Give the guy a little time for shit sake. I'm sure your boss and co-workers probably thought most of you were a bust after your 2nd day on the job too. It's not like the guy was taken with the first pick in the draft. I'm sure Steelers management sees the potential there and I'm guessing they know a helluva lot more than some of the "experts" here.

How about you actually try to read what I wrote, and not make up shit as you go along? I asked for PRELIMINARY opinions on the guy, similar to what draft gurus do before a player has ever set foot on an NFL Field. I never said he would or wouldn't be a bust.

And what the fuck does him not being the first pick in the draft have to do with anything? So if he does turn out to be a bust, it's "O.K." because he wasn't the 1st overall pick? Give me a break. He's still a high end draft pick, and not an undrafted free-agent. There is a difference

Grizzled Veteran

Postby SoCal Stiller » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:09 am

"How about you actually try to read what I wrote, and not make up shit as you go along?""

Hey dumbass, quit being so sensitive. Just in case your incapable of reading responses in your own thread, my post was directed to ballhair who's post is below yours! At any rate, it's completely assinine to even ask the question whether he is a bust or not this early.
Also, being a first rounder does matter. Typically, O-linemen drafted in the first round are EXPECTED to start right away and with 2nd & 3rd rounders you are mostly adding depth then working them up to starting (hopefully).

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelers76 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:52 pm

SoCal Stiller wrote:"How about you actually try to read what I wrote, and not make up shit as you go along?""

Hey dumbass, quit being so sensitive. Just in case your incapable of reading responses in your own thread, my post was directed to ballhair who's post is below yours! At any rate, it's completely assinine to even ask the question whether he is a bust or not this early.
Also, being a first rounder does matter. Typically, O-linemen drafted in the first round are EXPECTED to start right away and with 2nd & 3rd rounders you are mostly adding depth then working them up to starting (hopefully).

Hey dumbass, fuck-off . :sufu: I've already stated multiple times this was for early PRELIMINARY thoughts on a hunch I had watching him play throughout the pre-season and 1st game, which everybody but you and another poster seemed to understand. And before you or anybody else uses the "it's assinine to say this early line", ask yourself this question; If Adams fell to a late round or undrafted F.A. because of his problems at Ohio State, do you really think he would've made it out of training camp? And if not, would you have chastised the team for cutting him "this early"? Methinks No.

Hall of Famer

Postby PGHeaven » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:58 am

I am going to double down on my previous comment. Adams - BUST Heyward - BUST Hood - BUST

Stick a fork in it brigade - Keisel Hampton Foote Woodley

never should have made the field - Monday - Lewis - Allen

Retired and making commercials - Polamalu

Grizzled Veteran

Postby LenSherwood » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:14 pm

Whole fucking team is a bust after looking at the results from Oakland yesterday..... I do have to agree with PGHeaven... Troy P,Foote and probably Keisel should be depth players now if on the roster at all--those are young men's positions. Secondary is a complete bust outside of Ike who is still playing ok mostly (I guess...)

Return to Stillers Talk