Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » What the Steelers are doing to help Mendy solve fumbles

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Stillers.com Team

What the Steelers are doing to help Mendy solve fumbles

Postby thesteelhammer » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:05 am

Interesting stuff on the way he carries the ball. Lets hope Coach Wilson can fix it.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/cs-080830-afc-north-rashard-mendenhall-pompei,1,2493749.column

Former Illinois star Rashard Mendenhall as a bright future with the Steelers—as long as he learns to hang onto the football
Dan Pompei | On the NFL
August 30, 2008

As he sat down to a lunch of lemon pepper roasted chicken, potato wedges and several small M & M cookies, Rashard Mendenhall had much to be thankful for.

He is playing for a stately organization with a tradition of winning and weathering storms.

He is playing on a team that won the AFC North last season, with one of the game's top quarterbacks, Ben Roethlisberger.

He is not being counted on to be a savior in the backfield, only to come out of the bullpen in relief of Willie Parker.

But his indoctrination to the NFL has not been without potholes. Mendenhall, a product of Niles West and Illinois, fumbled three times in his last two exhibition games, prompting coach Mike Tomlin to tell reporters he would be hesitant to use Mendenhall in games that count.

Teammates have tried to "help" him by making him carry a football around the team facility, and then trying to swat the football away. Mendenhall has been forced to cough up $100 to every teammate who has been able to make him fumble.

He has had to endure the usual rookie jabs. One day he walked into his meeting to find a Ron Zook Fan Club towel on his desk. Mendenhall, most certainly, is not a member.

Pittsburgh is an adjustment for Mendenhall. He recently bought a townhouse, but he's living without his mother, who is staying in Champaign, and his brother, who has transferred to Illinois State from Illinois.

Playing on a team that considers itself a family should ease the transition.

"It's a good place," he said. "I like how everyone carries themselves around here."

But the Steelers do not like how he carries the football. Specifically, he carries it too low and running backs coach Kirby Wilson is working on getting Mendenhall to carry it higher.

"He's making progress, but it's not going to change in a month," Wilson said.

Wilson was with the Patriots when they drafted Kevin Faulk in 1999 and Faulk carried the ball the way Mendenhall does. Wilson said it took a good two months into the regular season before Faulk had the problem squared away.

Mendenhall's fumbling issue, as well as the presence of Pro Bowler Parker, likely will limit his opportunities early in the season. Wilson said Mendenhall probably will get between four and nine touches per game, depending on the situation. His primary responsibility will be to spell Parker when he needs a rest.

The good news is the Steelers believe Mendenhall is capable of playing in every situation.

"He's a complete back, outstanding between the tackles," Wilson said. "He's going to be a real special runner in this league."

If Mendenhall gets homesick, it may help to know some of the people working closest with him also know the words to "Oskee Wow Wow." Wilson was a running back at Illinois in 1980-81 and Steelers starting fullback Carey Davis came out of Illinois in 2003.

There may have been a part of Mendenhall that was pulling for his hometown Bears to take him with the 14th pick in the April draft.

Before the draft, few would have suspected he would end up in Pittsburgh. The Steelers really didn't need a running back. And Mendenhall was rated the second-best back in the draft by some analysts, so most—including the Steelers—figured he would be long gone by the time the Steelers' 23rd pick came around.

Now the Steelers hope Mendenhall and Parker can give them a one-two punch that will enable them to fend off the rest of the AFC North.

The Ravens won only five games last year, but they beat the Steelers in the season finale. The Bengals are an explosive offensive team that might be getting its defensive house in order. And the Browns finished in second place in the North only because the Steelers won a tiebreaker. Cleveland then had one of the most impressive off-seasons in the NFL, acquiring Corey Williams, Shaun Rogers and Donté Stallworth, among others.

Mendenhall has drawn comparisons to another player who made his living in these parts.

"He reminds me of a faster Jerome [Bettis]," Steelers veteran cornerback Ike Taylor said.

Funny, Mendenhall's favorite player as a kid was none other than Bettis. He said he liked Bettis and former Raiders receiver Tim Brown after becoming familiar with them through video games.

"I can see the similarities," Mendenhall said. "He's a big guy, real agile, real good feet. He's a little more laid back, but he likes to have fun."

Since he became a Steeler, Mendenhall has spoken with Bettis a few times, and Bettis offered advice on life in the NFL.

The best advice he could give him at this point: Hold onto the football, kid.

IMPRESSIONS
The Browns probably have the best roster in the division—if you exclude cornerbacks. After trading Leigh Bodden and releasing Kenny Wright, they lost Daven Holly to injury. That leaves them with Eric Wright and Brandon McDonald in the starting lineup, and one big headache.

Hiring Mike Zimmer to coordinate the defense was a good move by the Bengals, but Zimmer isn't going to turn it around overnight. It will be a while before the Bengals' defense is on a par with their offense.

The Steelers can't keep Lawrence Timmons on the bench much longer. The team's first-round pick from a year ago is ready to play, regardless of whether Larry Foote is ready to give him his starting inside linebacker job.

The Browns are trying to do to Josh Cribbs what the Bears are trying to do to Devin Hester—make the return man a receiver. But there are two critical differences. First, the Browns have an established quarterback in Derek Anderson. Second, the Browns aren't counting on Cribbs to be a big playmaker. They already have Braylon Edwards, Donté Stallworth and Kellen Winslow Jr., so there is no pressure on Cribbs.

Haloti Ngata quietly has become one of the NFL's best defensive linemen. And he's getting better. No one man has been able to block the Ravens' defensive end. He isn't the type of player who is going to get a lot of sacks, but he creates tremendous havoc.

Don't be surprised if Bengals wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh has a monster year. He is at the peak of his abilities, and he is motivated because he is in the final year of his contract.

SCOUT’S TAKE
An NFL scout gives his views on the division:

"The Steelers will win the division because they have a good combination of a solid quarterback in Ben Roethlisberger and a good defense. They lost some players, but they always do a great job of replenishing.

"I kind of like Cincinnati because offensively, they are really, really good. And the defense should be better this year. I think they'll finish second.

"I'm not a big believer in Cleveland. I still have doubts about Derek Anderson. Jamal Lewis won't have the kind of year he did a year ago. I don't think the players they added on defense will make a big difference. And their schedule is tough.

"The Ravens are a team in transition. They will struggle to establish an identity. The quarterback position is uncertain. Defensively, they are getting old in spots."

BREAKOUT PLAYER
LAMARR WOODLEY, STEELERS

Through the years, the Steelers have been one of the most consistent teams in the league at developing pass-rushing outside linebackers.

The latest in the long line of Steelers quarterback intimidators should be LaMarr Woodley.

The team's second-round pick out of Michigan last year, Woodley is positioned to break through in 2008.

Last season he had six sacks, and he will have opportunities to have many more this year because Clark Haggans' departure cleared an opening for Woodley to start.

"He's going to destroy some people," said former Steelers linebacker Kevin Greene, who was brought in to coach the 6-foot-5-inch, 255-pound Woodley and the Steelers' linebackers during training camp.

Greene praised Woodley's work ethic and willingness to learn. He said he noted some improvement in Woodley's game during their time together.

"I told him to stick his face into people and be physical," Greene said.

Stillers.com Team

Re: What the Steelers are doing to help Mendy solve fumbles

Postby trenches » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:28 am

With focus, he'll square away the fumble issue. I am tremendously impressed with this vision, feet and next gear. Since the team is focusing on the problem early and often, I am confident that it will be resolved even if it takes a couple months. Also, I liked that Tomlin gave him the ball 9 (I believe) times in a row after he fumbled. As he touches the ball more, he'll gain confidence and learn to protect the ball.

Let's go Mendy!

:sudancin:

Stillers.com Team

Postby Nel » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:33 am

Before the draft, few would have suspected he would end up in Pittsburgh. The Steelers really didn't need a running back.

I like Rashard's skill, but I question the decision of Tomlin to apparently change his plan for the team and select an RB at #1. I would love to have heard the conversation in Steelers management while "on the clock" during round 1 of the draft.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby WoodsonOfSteel » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:52 pm

I'm pretty sure the conversation went something like this:

"Golly jeepers. We really did want to get some big-n-ugly on either the offensive or defensive lines, but gosh darnit... Anyone we'd consider as a quality 1st round pick has already been taken. What should we do? Oh oh oh! I know... Let's take the 'best available player' in Rashard Mendenhall. If he doesn't work out, maybe we can trade his ass elsewhere for some big-n-ugly down the line."

So maybe that's not entirely accurate but it had to be along those lines. As each OL and DL dropped off the board, I began questioning if there was really going to be anyone worthwhile to draft upon the Stillers' pick. Although I didn't like them getting another runningback, I am pleased with the selection of the 'best available' which happened to be a runningback.

R.M. WILL be a good back in the league. trenches hit the nail on the head focusing on his vision, quick feet, and ability to hit the X button (Madden anyone?) when he wants. He's definitely going to only get better and in today's runningback-by-committee philosophy that's really taking root, this will turn out to be a better pick than originally thought.

Here's to football! :cheers:

Stillers.com Team

Postby Nel » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:47 pm

R.M. WILL be a good back in the league. trenches hit the nail on the head focusing on his vision, quick feet, and ability to hit the X button (Madden anyone?) when he wants. He's definitely going to only get better and in today's runningback-by-committee philosophy that's really taking root, this will turn out to be a better pick than originally thought.

Yes, he will be good but he won't be able to block for himself as did the Fatback, J. Bettis. :lol:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby WoodsonOfSteel » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:23 pm

Hey now... Don't knock my boy Jerome.

Fatback or not, the dude was one-of-a-kind for his size. I'm not saying he was the greatest thing since fried pierogies... He was more than a serviceable running back. He definitely fit well in the traditional Steelers 'run the ball up the middle Hell-or-high water' philosophy.

(Yeah... I was a bit of a Jerome homer. :sufu: )

:subngtowl:

Stillers.com Team

Postby Nel » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:30 pm

I wasn't knocking Bettis, I was complimenting his Fatbackishness.

And thereby I implied that Mendenhall will need holes that he can't create by himself, despite his vision and skills.

:cheers:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby WoodsonOfSteel » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:48 pm

Well played sir. :surockin:

It really is refreshing though... Seeing some new-school muscled-n-fast horses in our stable.

Jerome served his purpose but I really am liking the personnel being accumulated.

In other news, it looks like Jorvorskie Lane is quietly getting the 'you're too fat to play halfback' treatment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jorvorskie ... enior_year

He's listed at 285.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/teams/roster?teamId=245

Stillers.com Team

Postby Nel » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:25 pm

WoodsonOfSteel wrote:Well played sir. :surockin:

It really is refreshing though... Seeing some new-school muscled-n-fast horses in our stable.

Jerome served his purpose but I really am liking the personnel being accumulated.

In other news, it looks like Jorvorskie Lane is quietly getting the 'you're too fat to play halfback' treatment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jorvorskie ... enior_year

He's listed at 285.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/teams/roster?teamId=245

Yes, it is refreshing to see a great back such as Mendenhall on the Stillers squad. It really increases the overall rushing threat for an entire game (there will be fewer plays where the opposing D can count out the run while Willie is off the field).

Lane is big, wow. I love his melodic, old-school sounding name. Thanks for the links, WoodsonOfSteel.

:yes:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Hi5Steeler » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:20 pm

MANY many great backs in the nfl started out fumbling...some for years....Tiki Barber anyone......

russell will square it away this year and come out next year ....OVERALL...sum of all parts....potentially....MUCH better than our pro bowl willie parker....and parker is superb....amazing....but mendenhall......has that IT factor to surprise the entire nfl .....ie be even better than the hype....

he can be a ladanian tomlinson....he can run...he can catch..he can PASS.....dont ever forget that....and he has vision and change of direction.....like L.T.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby WoodsonOfSteel » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:19 am

russell will square it away this year and come out next year

hehe Was that a Freudian slip there, Hi5? Are you a closet Gary Russell fan? It's okay. So am I. ;^) Well... was.

You're absolutely right though. Rashard does have "IT". When the dust settles, he will surely be in the upper echelon of NFL running backs. Word be born. :subngtowl:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Hi5Steeler » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:14 am

oh...yea no .....russell ....no ....i hope he does good but he aint ever gettin better than fast willie parker.

russell might be the best short yardage back on the team though

Grizzled Veteran

Postby jstallworth82 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:27 pm

RM will be a good RB but to say he will be better than FWP next year is pushing it a little. It is funny though the guy never got much credit from Steeler fans here but as I travel around the country I constantly hear people talking about him. Like 1 sat last season and I cant remember what city but their local pregame type show which was on saturday. They spent almost half of the show talking about just how fast FWP was once he got through the first wave and how hard he wasto stop in open field. They showed a piece from the Pgh Chi game in 2005 I believe where the Bears savior at LB had FWP one on one in the open field and FWP never slowed down but made 1 move and he was gone and a certain LB was laid out on the ground not even got 1 finger on FWP.
Yeah RM is stronger and bigger but FWP is still one of the most if not the most explosive runners in the league once he gets through the first hole. His acceleration through the hole and his ability to cut without loosing a step is unmatched by RM. RM needs to hit the hole hard and make quicker decisions. He hesitates way too much before heading North and South. Once he gets by that problem and the fumblitis we can start calling him in the same league until then, well we will see.
Dont get me wrong I think he can be a great back but he will not replace FWP next year and I'll bet the house on that.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby WoodsonOfSteel » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:51 am

My girlfriend's favorite player is Willie Parker.

Every single time he's on the TV, or a picture comes up on something I'm reading, I'll point him out and say "Hey... This is the guy that's going to put your boy Willie out of a starting job."

I kid with her... But there's something about him and his 'it'ness that makes it seem... I'uno. Possible.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Hi5Steeler » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:05 am

its the fact hes a first round pick and should have been a top ten pick....and a TOTAL STUD in college......hes got the real pedigree to be THE starter on any team.

hes bad ass.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby WoodsonOfSteel » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:02 pm

His total studness was limited to one year though.

I want to see a lil more out of him before jumping on that bandwagon.

That said, I think he's a heck of an athlete with more potential than just about anyone I've seen in a while.

He's not bad-ass. But he has worlds of bad-ass potential.

Bad-ass running backs don't fumble often. 8-)

Here's to football! :cheers:

Return to Stillers Talk