Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Predicting Season Records

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Stillers.com Team

Predicting Season Records

Postby thesteelhammer » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:51 pm

I'm not sure I buy their methodology, but I think the result sounds about right at 10-6.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/nfl/2008/predicting.html
Pittsburgh Steelers (10-6, 3 Net Close Losses)

Surprised to see a 10-6 team with 3 Net Close Losses? I'm not. This team did not play up to their potential last season and I see a completely different story this season. Big Ben returns as one of the best in the game and with the dynamic attack of Willie Parker and the addition of Rashard Mendenhall, that offense is scary. Look for Santonio Holmes to break out as a top wide receiver too. The defense is one of the most reliable in the NFL which means this Steelers team is destined for great things in 2008. I'm predicting 12 or 13 wins and a spot as the #2 team in the AFC.

Grizzled Veteran

Re: Predicting Season Records

Postby No l Gravity l » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:22 pm

thesteelhammer wrote:I'm not sure I buy their methodology, but I think the result sounds about right at 10-6.

Surprised to see a 10-6 team with 3 Net Close Losses? I'm not. This team did not play up to their potential last season and I see a completely different story this season. Big Ben returns as one of the best in the game and with the dynamic attack of Willie Parker and the addition of Rashard Mendenhall, that offense is scary. Look for Santonio Holmes to break out as a top wide receiver too. The defense is one of the most reliable in the NFL which means this Steelers team is destined for great things in 2008. I'm predicting 12 or 13 wins and a spot as the #2 team in the AFC.

10-6 with 2 bullshit losses to teams we should have won against.

Stillers.com Team

Postby Nel » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:10 am

thesteelhammer wrote:I'm not sure I buy their methodology, but I think the result sounds about right at 10-6.

I don't buy the author's methodology either. He seems to be mainly a B.S.er striving to fill the void in his skull.

I still adhere to my midsummer prediction of 8-8 for the Stillers in 2008, but I hope that is incorrect. I will be happy with 10-6. :suxfingers:

As the author wrote, the Steelers offense is scary, but not in the way he thinks. The right side of the OL is a horror movie, and Arians worries me with his dullness.

Stillers.com Team

Postby trenches » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:38 am

In lieu of this discussion, you can add your vote on the front page poll...

http://www.stillers.com

I'm thinking 9-7 due to the tough schedule (albeit only tough on paper at this point) and the question marks surrounding the o-line. Still, the division could end up providing 5-6 wins so... :suspense:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby WoodsonOfSteel » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:04 pm

The most reasonable prediction to me is in the 11-5 ballpark.

I agree that the offense is LOADED with talent and playmakers. Unfortunately, I don't have enough confidence in the offensive line just yet to give them any more wins.

This bend-but-don't-break defense is starting to be a concern to me too, mainly in the secondary. I think our linebackers will be the defensive X-factor this year as I am predicting they are going to be playing at the level of the crew back in '94.

No Gravity is probably right too with 2 B.S. losses to teams they SHOULD have beat (Bonus : Texans and Redskins) but for whatever reason, did everything they could to give the game away and succeeded.

Here's to football! :cheers:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby No l Gravity l » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:06 pm

WoodsonOfSteel wrote:The most reasonable prediction to me is in the 11-5 ballpark.

I agree that the offense is LOADED with talent and playmakers. Unfortunately, I don't have enough confidence in the offensive line just yet to give them any more wins.

This bend-but-don't-break defense is starting to be a concern to me too, mainly in the secondary. I think our linebackers will be the defensive X-factor this year as I am predicting they are going to be playing at the level of the crew back in '94.

No Gravity is probably right too with 2 B.S. losses to teams they SHOULD have beat (Bonus : Texans and Redskins) but for whatever reason, did everything they could to give the game away and succeeded.

Here's to football! :cheers:

I hope its not the Skins we lose to. I'm from Virginia and there are a lot of their fans are down here. Friends would give me shit if Ben had one of his bad days on MNF.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby WoodsonOfSteel » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:33 pm

Well... After thinking about it a lil more, I'd like to take that back... Replace the Redskins with the Jaguars.

Then again, the way they seemingly 'own' us... Maybe we're not supposed to beat them. It would be nice NOT to lose to them going into the Bye Week, that's for sure.

I keep looking at the schedule and really, I don't see any 'gimmes' outside of our division.

Maybe the 'toughest schedule' hype has gone to my head. :supissed:

Return to Stillers Talk