Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Steelers graded. Position by Position!

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Grizzled Veteran

Steelers graded. Position by Position!

Postby Hi5Steeler » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:43 am

Grading the Steelers by position
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, August 29, 2008
Position grades

QB: Ben Roethlisberger set a Steelers single-season record with 32 touchdown passes last season, and at 26, he is still getting better. Grade: A

RB: Pro Bowler Willie Parker doesn't look like he'll have any lingering effects from the broken leg that ended his season last December. First-round pick Rashard Mendenhall should lighten Parker's load. Grade: B

WR/TE: Santonio Holmes (18.1 yards per catch last season) is on the cusp of stardom. Hines Ward is still considered the heart of the offense. The underrated Heath Miller is one of the best all-around tight ends in the NFL. Look for backup TE Matt Spaeth, an attractive target at 6-7, to figure more prominently. Grade: B+

OL: The Steelers tied for third in the NFL in rushing last season, but Ben Roethlisberger was sacked 53 times, including the playoffs. Then, Alan Faneca left via free agency. Grade: C-

DL: His battle with the bulge notwithstanding, Casey Hampton is a premier nose tackle. Aaron Smith is as good a 3-4 end as any in the NFL, and Brett Keisel is solid opposite him. Grade: B

LB: James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley are strong pass-rushers on the edge. James Farrior, 33, is still a force, and Lawrence Timmons is pushing Larry Foote at the other starting spot. Grade: B+

DB: The cornerbacks are decent, and Ryan Clark's return at free safety is a big lift. The question is whether strong safety Troy Polamalu can stay on the field. Grade: B-

Special teams: Kicker Jeff Reed had a Pro Bowl-caliber season in 2007, but he was one of the few bright spots on special teams. Grade: C-

5 Things to watch in 2008

1. Big Ben's ascension: Ben Roethlisberger erased any doubts with his play in 2007 as to whether he is a franchise quarterback. He could be even better this season.

2. Toeing the line(s): The offensive line has to be more physical this season. What happens on the defensive line if one of the starters is lost to an injury as Aaron Smith was last season?

3. Tough road ahead: The schedule is brutal and, on paper, the toughest one in the NFL. The Steelers better own their AFC North foes.

4. Man of Troy: The defense isn't nearly the same when strong safety Troy Polamalu is not on the field. Polamalu staying healthy while not compromising his kamikaze style of play is paramount.

5. Many (un)happy returns?: With the number of close games the Steelers figure to play this season, they have to shore up their kickoff and punt coverage units. They also could use a few more big returns of their own. Santonio Holmes, anybody?

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.
Back to headlines

Grizzled Veteran

Re: Steelers graded. Position by Position!

Postby steelerette » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:25 pm

I think our WR/TE corps deserve a better grade than a B+. The Steelers have one of the best WR/TE corps in the league. I would have given them an A.

A C- for our OL is about right. At the beginning of the pre-season, I would have given them a D. :lol:

I don't know how I feel about our Special Teams receiving a grade of C-. At times they are okay, but at others I just want to slap each and every one of them upside the head. I would give them a solid C at this point.

The other grades seem to be fair.

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby gutofsteel » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:30 pm

No, the defense didn't miss much, if anything when Troy was out last year. Now, when they lost Clark and then Smith was out of position (with, who, Carter opposite of him?) they lost something.

When the defense lost A. Smith, they CLEARLY lost something.

Polamulu is starting to look like the new guy for fans and media to overrate now that Faneca is gone. People still talk about Troy like he's the same player as in '05 when reality is he hasn't been close. Even when "healthy", which hasn't been much, he hasn't had nearly the impact.

I definitely hope Troy regains that '05 form, but right now and considering depth, Aaron Smith, Harrison and Woodley are all more important to this defense. Probably Ike, too. I won't go as far as saying Polamulu isn't even the best SS on the team, but it's a lot closer than most think. Troy made some plays in '05, but I think when offenses decided to just start ignoring him they lost his biggest impact, which was confusion. A big part of that impact in '05 was offenses worrying about what he was going to do, and I think to large degree they've simply decided not to worry about him and challenge him to make the play. He has come up wanting the last few years as a result

Grizzled Veteran

Postby No l Gravity l » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:45 pm

QB: As long as Ben stays healthy, Steelers have a top 3 quarterback in the league. I never want to see Dixon or Leftwich on the field again unless its for kneeling the ball or preseason...well maybe a 4th and 2 QB sweep with Dixon. Grade: A+

RB: Despite the overrated '1000 yards' per season, Parker has a habit of pussyfooting behind the line and putting Ben in bad situations (3rd and country miles). His backup, Mendenhall, is showing signs of greatness but is having trouble securing the ball. Still, we got more depth at RB than probably any other team. Grade: B

WR: Holmes has speed and the ability to make big plays and should be a Top 10 receiver this year with Ben at the helm. Ward, the best blocking receiver in the game, has the sure hands and get get the tough yards up the middle. Nate Nate can make the amazing catches, but drops the easy ones and it looks like the same thing is rubbing off on our rookie Sweed. Very interested to see whether Reid or Baker made the team (one or the other or both). Grade: B

TE: Miller is rock solid. Very clutch and is one of Ben's favorite targets. Spaeth has impressed me even though there was a lot of controversy last year in drafting him last year. He was a man possessed when we played Denver (even though we lost). Both are excellent red zone targets but need to work a little more on blocking. Grade: A-

OL: Theres no way to sugarcoat this at all. It doesn't get any worse than Simmons and Colon/Starks. I think we've got a good replacement at guard, however, in Kemo. Hartwig has yet to impress me but its still better than that garbage Mahan. Grade: D-

DL:Aging and getting fatter. Casey Hampton needs to stop munching on snackie cakes and Big Bufords and start working on his conditioning. Aaron Smith is the man but I still think Keisel is a bum on the bandwagon. Grade: C+

LB: James Harrison is an unstoppable force and LaMarr Woodley has shown why Haggans was expendable. James Farrior is up there in age but still solid. I just hope Timmons wins the job on the inside. Easily the best LBing crew in the league. Grade: A+

DB: I agree with STD. Our corners are decent but nothing spectacular. Ike Taylor is still a solid #1 guy and Townsend can read routes very well. Too bad his doesn't have the athleticism of McFadden. Grade: B-

Safety: Smith with Carter=mediocre. Smith with Polamalu=disaster. Clark with Smith: getting better. Polamalu with Clark=money. Clark's return will help Polamalu tremendously. Troy will be able to be all over the field without worrying about his FS biting on play actions. Grade: A-

Kicker: Jeff Reed is one of the best field goal kickers in the league. Theres no one else I'd rather have back there: Grade: A

Punter: Depending on who wins the job...hell it doesn't matter. Grade: D

Coverage Units: Blah. Grade: F
Last edited by No l Gravity l on Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:25 am

Nice write up No Grav.
I agree on just about everything.
I do hope to see QB's other than Ben play though. I'm thinking 4th quarter mop up duty, handing the ball off to Mendy nursing the clock while we sit on a FAT lead that Ben, FWP, Holmes, and crew ran up in the first half. :cheers:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby WoodsonOfSteel » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:50 pm

steelhammer has an interesting point... although I think it's one of those things that looks good only on paper.

If the NFL has proven ANYTHING since I've been watching, NO LEAD IS SAFE until the final second is off the clock.

This is why we don't see such activity until the latter part of the season when teams have either secured a playoff spot, their division, or out-right homefield advantage.

I certainly wouldn't MIND seeing it happen, although I don't think it's really a feasible option.

:suplusone: to you No Gravity. I'm on par with everything you said with the exception of... I don't feel Keisel is a bum. He's completely serviceable when considered when and how he was acquired (7th round pick anyone?).

Otherwise N.G., spot on!

Grizzled Veteran

Postby jstallworth82 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:23 pm

RB - B FWP was leading the NFL and would have captured the title had he not broke his leg has had 3 solid years. RM is a rookie but good runner and the others aren't scrubs They are gong to have an excellent 1, 2 punch among the best in the league.

WR B Santonio led the league in AVP. Ward is an All Pro and SB MVP, Sweed will be strong, Washington, well has all the attributes. MillerBig Target gets open and catches the ball.

QB A Yes or Ben but as a whole no way Leftwich is not a starter for a reason and is not happy being a back-up. Batch is on IR and Dixon is unproven either good or bad though he wll be a great athlete and accurate needs more arm strength and experience.

OL Should be a D- they can't stop nothing, 0 pass protection, No holes in the interior for a RB to hit

ST haaaaah they suck

What about coaching... HC C Tomlin is going to be a coach who will divert tough calls in important games to avoid holding the bag. Turtle King in training.

Return to Stillers Talk