Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » IKE TAYLOR is aiming for hawaii and the pro bowl!

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Grizzled Veteran

IKE TAYLOR is aiming for hawaii and the pro bowl!

Postby Hi5Steeler » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:38 am

Steelers' Taylor eyes Hawaii
By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, August 29, 2008

Ike Taylor wants to travel "across the water" and become the first Steelers cornerback to reach the Pro Bowl since Rod Woodson in 1997.

The Steelers have a long tradition of elite cornerbacks, dating to Hall of Famer Mel Blount.

Taylor realizes he has big shoes to fill.

"Rod Woodson went to the Pro Bowl as a returner, cornerback, safety," Taylor said. "Mel Blount changed the game. They put in the five-yard rule (because of Blount). Everybody knows them.

"It's about that time (for me). I just want to be one of the best cornerbacks in the NFL."

Taylor, 28, is entering his fourth season as a starter. His role is expanding this season as coach Mike Tomlin plans on moving him to right cornerback to better utilize his one-on-one coverage skills.

Most of the NFL's elite receivers now line up opposite the right cornerback. Some of the receivers Taylor will be matched against this season include Andre Johnson (Texans), Braylon Edwards (Browns), Chad Johnson (Bengals), Plaxico Burress (Giants), Reggie Wayne (Colts), Randy Moss (Patriots) and Terrell Owens (Cowboys).

Taylor knows he won't receive a better opportunity to prove he belongs among the league's top cornerbacks.

"I've talked about going across the water (to Hawaii) for the longest (time). It's to the point where something's got to change. That's just how I feel," said Taylor, who led the Steelers in interceptions and was second on the team in tackles and passes defensed in 2007.

"People say, 'Ike can be that lock-down corner, but ... there's always a but. I get tired of hearing those buts."

Taylor knows the only way to silence his critics is to pad his interception total.

Taylor has seven career interceptions but admits he should have more.

Earlier in his career, Taylor may have thought too much about his assignments. Over time, the game has slowed down for Taylor, allowing him to utilize his talent.

"I want to get a feel for the game and analyze what (opponents) are doing early," Taylor said.

Taylor always had the physical skills. He ran a 4.24 in the 40-yard dash this summer while training at Walt Disney's Wide World of Sports - a time that would make him the fastest player on the Steelers, not to mention one of the fastest in the NFL.

To put Taylor's performance in perspective, Tennessee rookie Chris Johnson clocked a 4.24 at the NFL Scouting Combine in February, the fastest time in combine history.

Now-retired Deion Sanders ran a 4.27 at the combine. Woodson was right behind Sanders at 4.28.

Taylor, a fourth-round draft pick in 2003 who wasn't invited to the combine, posted his mind-numbing time this summer following a dare.

"When he got out to the track, some of the guys were talking smack," said Tom Shaw, the speed and conditioning coach at Walt Disney's Wide World of Sports.

"(Minnesota Vikings safety) Darren Sharper told him he couldn't run a 4.3 without warming up. Ike didn't stretch, didn't do anything. He just got out there and ended up cruising to a 4.24."

Taylor was able to transfer the running skills he perfected in Florida to the football field. His daily battles against Steelers receiver Santonio Holmes were the talk of training camp.

One of the tallest cornerbacks in the league at 6-foot-2 and weighing 195 pounds, Taylor helped Holmes perfect ways to escape the jam at the line of scrimmage.

Conversely, Taylor concentrated on keeping up with the elusive Holmes.

"He's stronger, he's faster, and he's worked on his hands like crazy," Taylor said. "I don't think anybody can take him one on one."

Taylor was being modest. He gave as good as he got against Holmes. The rest of the NFL should take note.

John Harris can be reached at jharris@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.
Back to headlines

Greenhorned Rookie

Re: IKE TAYLOR is aiming for hawaii and the pro bowl!

Postby Pittsburgh » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:25 am

Thats just plain Money.

Do you realize what we have in this man?
Our divisional Opponents Avoid this man.
He shuts down teams top options and looks amazing out there.

Having to face one of teh leagues best recievers in Santonio Holmes can only be getting him ready to just plain EAT the lower level competion and the fact that he is hanging on to Balls when they come his way is really a Blessing.
Good for Ike.
I LIKE IKE TAYLOR, Already has a Interception in the SuperBowl... Lets get him 2-3 more...

GO STEELERS! Ike is Ready!!!

Practice Squad

Postby Steelersbaby » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:13 pm

Great article, thanks and welcome back Hi5 :) Long time no see!

Grizzled Veteran

Postby steelerette » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:23 pm

Good luck to Ike. I know he can do it. :yes:

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:30 pm

In order to reach his goal, Ike will need to hold onto some of thos INT's that he has dropped in the past.
His hands did look better this pre-season.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby No l Gravity l » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:23 pm

He'll be purchasing his plane ticket as well as gameday ticket from ticketmaster.com :D

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby gutofsteel » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:13 am

He WOULD be one of the top corners, maybe the best, in the league if he could hang onto the ball.

But this is not good. Ike has to let it go. His problem is mental, and basically saying he's going to make a concious effort to catch the ball will only compound the problem. He just needs to relax and play. Although, I think he had 3 picks last year, so maybe focusing will get him there.

Just me, but I would have preferred to hear him say "I don't give a fuck" and just play. He's good enough to be there, he just needs to let the game come to him,

Stillers.com Team

Postby trenches » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:51 am

Ike has serious skills and serious focus issues coupled with hands of The Thing Image. They always say -- that those that can catch are receivers and those that can't are defensive backs. Ike is no exception. I love Ike, though. He usually steps up against great competition. I'd just like him to Palmolive his hands a bit... :D ... and be a bit more consistent from game-to-game.

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby gutofsteel » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:57 pm

I really think he just needs to not worry about it, but he's clearly become increasingly bothered by it. Last year there were reports of all the work he did with the jugs machine.

He's got a bad case of the nerves (think Willie Reid) and he's tightening up every time an opportunity comes his way. That's why I say it would be better if he'd just write it off and relax. It's not a concentration issue, it's nerves. Increased focus is likely only to compound the problem.

Maybe he should try a sports psychologist if he already hasn't. Those guys are probably even more worthless than a regular psychologist, but worth a shot.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby WoodsonOfSteel » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:29 pm

gutofsteel has a very valid point.

I myself have wondered if it's a psychological nerve-tightening issue as to why he can't catch a football to save his life.

Surely, they still make Stickum. I mean, if he gets caught 'cheating', it could be worse.

*cough* steroids *cough*

I've always given Ike the benefit of the doubt because generally, he shows up and shuts down teams' #1 receivers. Within the division at the very LEAST.

He's a football player. That doesn't mean he should be *required* to be able to catch a football *every* time one comes his way. The name of the game is ironic as it is. Cut the dude some slack. :)

Return to Stillers Talk