Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Will Steelers carry four quarterbacks in 2008?

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Stillers.com Team

Will Steelers carry four quarterbacks in 2008?

Postby Nel » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:31 pm

Steelers still prepping Leftwich for season
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=A ... &type=lgns

The article also mentions that Troy Polamalu will play a quarter of exhibition game 4.

Seasoned Veteran

Re: Will Steelers carry four quarterbacks in 2008?

Postby Nashsteeler » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:44 pm

I'd have to guess that based on how impressed they were with Leftwich, that Batch goes on IR (or at least the PUP list) and a decision gets made on him next year. They won't carry 4 QB's no way. 3 + 1 on PS maybe.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steeledge » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:31 pm

Nashsteeler wrote:3 + 1 on PS maybe.

OK, so who's the +1 that clears waivers and makes it to the PS?
I don't think we can risk it on any of 2-4 (Be-atch, Lefty, Dick-son).

I do think that Batch goes to IR, leaving us with 3.

CB becomes a FA at the end of '08, at which time he can make the call on staying and competing for a job next year or striking out to see if the grass is greener somewhere else.

Leftie's 1 year contract makes him a FA at the same time, so that could get interesting, les'n of course they extend him at some point in the year...

We already knew that Batch was prolly on his way out at the end of this year anyway, which is why we drafted Dixon in the first place, id'n it?
Wha make you tink I won cutchu, mang?!?

Stillers.com Team

Postby trenches » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:00 pm

I guess the question is, "do you put your eggs in the Leftwich basket?"

If so, Steel Valley Chucky is gone. I've heard various comments about Batches' age, 33. A 33 year old back up is not that old... then again, he's been injury prone. I like Batch, but I have no qualms if the front office decides to move on.

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:30 pm

Batch goes on PUP.
Delays decision of what to do with QB spot for 6 weeks.
What would be the down side?

Practice Squad

Postby papaspudly » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:29 pm

No downside to Batch on the PUP; that's definitely what they will do.

Does anyone know what happens if he goes on IR after week 6? Does he still earn his base salary on IR?

If so, I think they go PUP-IR, to keep Charlie around until the end of the season. Leftwich probably doesn't want to be a backup for the rest of his life, so there is no garuntee that he'll stick around after this year. So get Charlie healthy, and bring him back next offseason.
"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." - Jack Lambert

Grizzled Veteran

Postby steelerette » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:31 pm

Nope, they're not going to carry four QBs. I think Charlie will go on the IR or PUP list, too.

Besides, as long as Ben stays off his motorcycle, we only need one QB. :surockin:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Hi5Steeler » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:33 am

If Batch goes on IR they will carry ben leftwich and dixon on the 53. If batch doesnt.....id hope they drop leftwich.

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby ibleedBLACKandGOLD81 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:55 am

If Batch gets put on the PUP list, does he HAVE to sit out the first 6 weeks and not practice? Either way this seems like the only workable option. The other plus side is even if at that point they decide to keep Charlie on the roster, Dixon would be much more likely to clear waivers at that point in the season. I believe he could sign with a different team's practice squad if nobody signs him to their 53 man roster however that would be stupid for him to do that halfway through the season.

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby Pittsburgh » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:10 am

Dixon,
In my Humble Opinion is a DAMN speacial Talent.
The man Has good Vision, has an Elusivness about him and straight up Makes plays.

I'm talking Vince Young but more accurate, I love the kid and like his approach to the Preseason. He said he wanted to make an impression and coming off that Knee Surgery ill tell you right now.
This kid is not at 100% hasnt even been a year since his injury, And i believe he is only gonna get bigger stronger faster and become a better passer/qb.

He looks like a Starter to me and i think we will be able to grab a nice Draft pick in the coming years for him and we can bolster our Trenches up just that much more, in a shorter time frame.

Practice Squad

Postby StillCurtain » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:36 am

I agree that Chuck will be put on the PUP list, then possibly placed on IR.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Stillers trade Leftwich if someone's starter goes down in the first 6 weeks.

I do not believe that the Steelers will carry four QB's, especially considering we have an aging defensive line and will need to create depth at other positions to deal with the attrition of the season.
"There are Two kinds of people in life, those that like the Stillers... and those that wish they did!" - a Wise Man

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:49 am

Will the Steelers carry 4 QB's in 2008?

looks like the answer is NO.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08243/908233-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml

Leftwich No. 2; Batch likely to go on IR
Saturday, August 30, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers have decided to go with Byron Leftwich as their backup quarterback and rookie Dennis Dixon as No. 3, and they will put Charlie Batch on injured reserve or use a procedural injury settlement in which he would be available to them if needed later.

Batch has about four more weeks before he will be healthy enough to play after his collarbone was broken Aug 8 in the first preseason game. If the Steelers place him on injured reserve, he would be done for the season. If they release him and reach an injury settlement with him, he could be available to them in the second half of the season.

Batch had one year left on his contract with the Steelers and would be paid his $1,355,000 salary if placed on injured reserve. If they reach an injury settlement with him, he would receive a portion of that salary and would become a free agent and could sign with any other team. But he also would be available to the Steelers after midseason if, for example, they lost one of their quarterbacks to an injury -- if he did not sign elsewhere.

Coach Mike Tomlin made many of the required cuts yesterday but decided not to announce any publicly until today. The deadline for making cuts is 6 p.m. All teams must reduce their rosters from 75 to 53 to start the season. Those rookies and first-year players who clear waivers will be eligible to join their eight-man practice squad.

Return to Stillers Talk