Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Do the Steelers have a legit shot at winning the Superbowl?

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Seasoned Veteran

Do the Steelers have a legit shot at winning the Superbowl?

Postby JumboHeadYouks » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:44 am

I think they do. The 2008 Steelers are better than the 2005 Steelers who won it all. I think the defense is more athletic and with the return of Smith...the Steelers will one again be a top 5 unit.
The offensive line is better than I had hoped. Aside from Simmons..everyone seems to be doing their job pretty well. CBS Sportsline breaks down the offensive lines and has them at 13. They need to get better over the course of the season...but it can be done.

http://fantasynews.sportsline.com/fanta ... y/10878576

I have NEVER seen a Steelers offense with as many weapons a the skill positions as they do in 2008.

Roethlisberger....Really proved to be an ELITE QB in 2007 and seems to be ready to take the next step to the Brady/Manning level. 32 TD's and only 11 picks really illustrates the progress Ben has made in his decision making. He can beat you with his legs and he can pick you apart...he can dink and dunk...or he can air it out for Wahsington or Santonio... Ben is a darkhorse MVP candidate IMO.

With Willie Parker, Mendenhall, and Moore the Steelers have 3 capable starting tailbacks. Moore will be an excellent addition to the 3rd down offense and special teams. Ward and Holmes are one of the most dangerous duo's in the game. Ward owns the seam and Holmes can turn a 5 yard hitch into a 50 yard TD in the wink of an eye...just ask Cincy! Washington and Sweed provide Big targets for Ben to look for when he is scrambling. Heath Miller is one of the most complete TE's in the game.... This offense will set Steelers records, barring an injury to Ben. I don't see too many teams locking the Steelers down. The offense will keep us in every game and allow us to run away in some.

Defense... I feel with Smith returning, this will be a much better unit...JAX really exploited Smith's vacancy last January..he really holds it down against the run and gets great pressure from the outside.JAX was really collapsing his side. The line is stellar and the LB corps is much faster and more athletic with the addition of Woodley and Timmons (possibly) into the starting lineup. Their will be learning curve for sure...but I think by year's end these two could be wreaking havoc all over the field. My biggest concern is the secondary. Will Troy be healthy? Will Smith realize his potential and stop being such a chucklehead? Will Clark bounce back and return to 2006 form? Can McFadden hold his spot down? If the secondary can play well..and remain healthy...this team will be going deep into the playoffs.

Jeff Reed...There is NOBODY I would rather have kicking a game winning FG than Jeff Reed. He has proven, on the biggest stages, that he does not miss when it counts. Not only does he not miss...the kid splits the fuggin uprights...he is money.

Punting? We'll see.

Special teams...decent.

I feel better about this team going in than I did in 2005. All of the talk is about CLE... lol... we will see soon enough.

Also, I like the fact that the SD and NYG games just got much easier with two KEY injuries.

Maybe this is a littl fanboyish...but I honstly believe this team will be playing for the right to go to the Superbowl. It will be PITT vs. NE(barring an injury to Brady or Ben)...you can book that matchup.

Seasoned Veteran

Re: Do the Steelers have a legit shot at winning the Superbowl?

Postby UKBlackNGold » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:15 pm

I wouldn't put much faith in that O'Line assesment . .

They give Simmons A- grade!!! :o

We won't be going anywhere near post-season if they don't sort out the right side of the line!

Practice Squad

Postby BeavisFour » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:19 pm

I'm with UKBlackNGold.

Oline has problems and winning all starts up front, on both sides of the ball.

I'm not entirely sure we have SB caliber Dline, but I think its good enough.

Oline is terrible and all your skill positions aren't worth anything without some protection.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby dirtydave61 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:02 pm

Although, this team has a shot (as do a lot of teams at the beginning of any season), I don't think it's very likely at all.

Both lines are substandard, and the defense just isn't dominant enough. The reason the 2005 team was able to make a run is because it had the power to impose its will on other teams -- get up fast and quick and then pummel the opposing team with a brutal running game and blitz-happy defense. Also, many of the key players from that team were in their prime. Three years later makes a difference in the NFL.

That being said, I think if Big Ben really does have an MVP-type season, this team could go deep into the playoffs on offensive firepower alone (provided the O-line doesn't shit the bed). The talent to make a run is there, but there are too many other good teams in the AFC -- Patriots, Colts, Chargers and Jaguars.

Seasoned Veteran

HE HE HE HE

Postby LambertoCincoOcho » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:44 pm

I figured out whose going to win without too much scientific analysis. The Stillaz are gonna win because their hungry they hadn't had no breakfast AND THEIR WAITIN ON THE JUICE !!!!!!!!!!!

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby lynchcowher » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:08 pm

Yeah, we COULD have a legit shot, if Simmons weren't playing......

Unfortunately though, Tomlin has this team bent over the couch right about now, and is fucking it right square in the asshole.

Practice Squad

Postby TonyDrip » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:37 pm

Too many of you have been listening to the so called experts. Everything I hear is o-line this and d-line that. Look, I get it - the most important aspect of football. Don't buy into the hype! Every year we're surprised by what 2/3 of the league does. They were supposed to suck, but they're great....they're supposed to be great, but they suck.

Let's wait until our starters get on the field for at least 8 quarters before we buy into how much our lines are going to suck. It's cohesion as much as anything. There's no guarantee our lines will struggle this year.....HAVE SOME FAITH!!

Seasoned Veteran

Postby GodfatherofSoul » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:35 pm

lynchcowher wrote:Yeah, we COULD have a legit shot, if Simmons weren't playing......

Unfortunately though, Tomlin has this team bent over the couch right about now, and is fucking it right square in the asshole.

Yeah, I hope he doesn't take us to the playoffs again next year like the loser he is :no:

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Iron Gut » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:50 pm

You might think I'm drinking too much Kool Aid but I ALWAYS think the Steelers got a shot at the playoffs.

They are in a division that is VERY soft this year and should win the AFC North with little resistance.

The Elites in the AFC aren't as strong as they were. I do grant that some teams are up and coming in the AFC but overall, the conference's top teams have lost a little this year. The Pats and Indy most notably.

As for the Steelers, the Oline is a concern. But it is a little better than last year now that the center is no longer a liability.

Then there is always momentum. NY Giants were not a great team, they were a hot team last year. If Pittsburgh gets hot late in the season, we could be celebrating another SB.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby logjammin » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:22 pm

JumboHeadYouks wrote:Also, I like the fact that the SD and NYG games just got much easier with two KEY injuries.

I don't like that fact. I'd prefer that there were never any injuries in football, not even to Stillers' opponents.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby steelerette » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:39 pm

We have a very tough schedule this year, so that does make me a bit wary, but you know what?

:subngtowl: I BELIEVE! :subngtowl:

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby lynchcowher » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:03 am

GodfatherofSoul wrote:
lynchcowher wrote:Yeah, we COULD have a legit shot, if Simmons weren't playing......

Yeah, I hope he doesn't take us to the playoffs again next year like the loser he is :no:

Please...... That lazy motherfucker took a team one year removed from winning the superbowl and loafed his way to a WC game. Once there, he completely shit the bed, going for two TWICE, standing around loading his crack pipe while Arians called the last series of run, run, QB KEEPER on 3rd & 6, and generally just not giving a fuck. He likes to call this "not micro managing"....... most people know better.

Practice Squad

Postby Steelersbaby » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:23 pm

THIS is the year Big Ben becomes "elite". The line sucks, it won't matter as much as some might think. Screw the "tough schedule"... I have that feeling :) THEY ALWAYS HAVE A LEGIT SHOT, ITS PITTSBURGH!

Practice Squad

Postby steelinatl » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:26 pm

I am a realist..so no. But I will still support the team as always.

Stillers.com Team

Postby Nel » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:50 pm

I think we have a legitimate chance, and with some good luck (it's a tough schedule) we'll make it past round 1 of the playoffs.

After that, it's mainly on skill and lack-o-injuries, imho.

GO BLACK AND GOLD! :sufootballhelmet:

Practice Squad

Postby Steelersbaby » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:55 pm

Nel wrote:I think we have a legitimate chance, and with some good luck (it's a tough schedule) we'll make it past round 1 of the playoffs.

I will second that, GO STEELERS!!!!!!!!! Lets hope for the best and enjoy a new season, been way too long it seems! I am ready! :)

Stillers.com Team

Postby Nel » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Steelersbaby wrote:
Nel wrote:I think we have a legitimate chance, and with some good luck (it's a tough schedule) we'll make it past round 1 of the playoffs.

I will second that, GO STEELERS!!!!!!!!! Lets hope for the best and enjoy a new season, been way too long it seems! I am ready! :)

Me too, 'baby. :)

Bring on the real games!

Return to Stillers Talk