Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Texans lose WR to career ending injury.

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Stillers.com Team

Texans lose WR to career ending injury.

Postby thesteelhammer » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:29 pm

Sad for Harry Williams.
One less threat for the Steelers to deal with in the opener.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10946950

HOUSTON -- Texans receiver Harry Williams probably won't play football again after injuring his neck and spine in a preseason game against the Dallas Cowboys, a team physician said Monday.

Dr. Walter Lowe said Williams is expected to walk again after surgery Sunday in Dallas to fuse and stabilize the cervical spine levels C-2 through C-4, but the severity of the injury makes it "highly unlikely that Harry will return to football."

The 26-year-old Williams was hurt in a collision with a teammate while trying to make a tackle on a kick return in the first quarter of Friday's game.

"The bottom line from my perspective is the surgery went well," Texans coach Gary Kubiak said Monday. "Right now it's a rough day for him but everything went well."

A third-year pro who spent last season on the Texans practice squad, Williams had fought his way into the receiver picture this season. Kubiak said last week that Williams was the team's best special teams player.

"It's hard. In this business you root for kids," Kubiak said. "He was fixing to be a big part of this team and to go out there on that field and see this kid laying there after what he went through was tough."

"Words can't explain how I feel," fellow receiver Andre Johnson said. "We were talking about it this morning. You can be out there in one play and it can be over for you, just like that."

Williams is the second player in the past year the Texans have lost to a spinal injury. Defensive tackle Cedric Killings was injured in a headfirst collision with Indianapolis receiver Roy Hall in September, fracturing the C-4 vertebra.

"I talked to Cedric the other day and he told me how well he's doing," Kubiak said.

Like Williams, Killings initially couldn't move his hands or feet. But after surgery he recovered well enough to walk into practice later in the season.

Johnson looks forward to that day with Williams.

"We're rooting for him, and I just can't wait to see him walk through those (practice) gates," he said.

The Texans signed fullback Jon Abbate on Sunday to take Williams' roster spot.

Notes: RB Ahman Green, who is nursing an injured groin, worked out on Monday. Green is expected to be ready for the regular season. But he and RB Chris Brown, who didn't practice Monday due to his back injury, are not expected to play in the last preseason game Thursday against Tampa Bay.

Stillers.com Team

Re: Texans lose WR to career ending injury.

Postby Nel » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:41 pm

Let's hope this is the last career-ending injury of the 2008 season.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby No l Gravity l » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:23 am

Nel wrote:Let's hope this is the last career-ending injury of the 2008 season.

Only after that arrogant prickTom Brady gets his career-ending injury I think I'll hope for no more :sudancin:

Practice Squad

Postby b0ng » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:56 pm

While it does suck that Harry Williams basically had his career ended on Friday, he was a fringe player at best. If he made the 53 man squad it was going to be as a special teams player, which he supposedly excelled at.

When Andre' Davis went down in the first quarter on the kickoff return, I was much more upset than when I saw Williams carted off the field.

Last year, the Texans lost a player named Cedric Killings to an injury that was very similar, on a kick off vs the Colts. I was at that game and it was excruciating watching him getting carted off the field. I can imagine this was just as bad for fans watching the game.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby steelerette » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:45 pm

Dr. Walter Lowe said Williams is expected to walk again after surgery

Thank God!

This story is so sad. :cry: I'm sure all the Steelers Nation sends their best wishes to Harry Williams with hopes of a speedy recovery.

I knew I was concerned about Santonio Holmes returning punts, kickoffs or whatever else for a reason. See what happens? :no: But, noooooo, don't listen to a girl! :lol:

Stillers.com Team

Postby Nel » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:55 pm

The material I have read (and there's not much available online) indicates that on punt returns the blockers and tacklers are much more prone to injury than the punt returners, steelerette.

But, I do listen to you! :D

Grizzled Veteran

Postby steelerette » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:28 pm

Oh, I know you do, Nel, and I love ya for it. Image

I really do believe you when you say that the blockers and tacklers are much more prone to injury than the punt returners, but I'm like a lil mother hen who wants to protect her QB and WRs at all costs, although that is being kind of unrealistic, but I can't help it, damnit.

Stillers.com Team

Postby Nel » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:59 pm

I hear you steelerette.

It would be a shame to lose one of our top players on a play that usually has a very small chance of great success (i.e., a punt return).

I am not against letting him sit out the punts. :cheers: :heart:

Practice Squad

Postby Steelersbaby » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:25 pm

steelerette wrote:

Thank God!

This story is so sad. :cry: I'm sure all the Steelers Nation sends their best wishes to Harry Williams with hopes of a speedy recovery.

I knew I was concerned about Santonio Holmes returning punts, kickoffs or whatever else for a reason. See what happens? :no: But, noooooo, don't listen to a girl! :lol:

Oh shut up, if you know what you're talking about it doesn't matter if you're a girl.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby steelerette » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:46 pm

Steelersbaby wrote:
steelerette wrote:

Thank God!

Oh shut up, if you know what you're talking about it doesn't matter if you're a girl.

Steelers Baby
Last Activity: 07-16-2008 01:29 PM

Forum Info Contact Info
PostsTotal Posts: 1 (0.01 posts per day)
Find all posts by Steelers Baby
Find all threads started by Steelers Baby

Referrals: 0 Private Message:
Send a private message to Steelers Baby

Additional Information Group Memberships
Date of Birth:
August 21, 1986
Biography:
Hot blonde stiller fan
Interests:
SEX
Waitress at Hooters

Didn't you get yourself banned from cincysteelersfans.com when it was still in existence for trying to sell yourself there, too? Image

Practice Squad

Postby StillCurtain » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:05 pm

No doubt it's a sad injury, but from what I understand he didn't have a real chance of making the team and was on his way to bagging groceries.
"There are Two kinds of people in life, those that like the Stillers... and those that wish they did!" - a Wise Man

Return to Stillers Talk