Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » RBs looked good in the flat

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Practice Squad

RBs looked good in the flat

Postby Y-Town Steel » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:58 pm

I LOVED seeing Ben hit Mewelde and Willie with short passes last night. Moore looked very very smooth even though the play didn't gain much. Willie had a nice gain on the play I remember. Did Ben throw one to Carey Davis too?? I think maybe he did....

More passes to speedy RBs is something we've been waiting to see. Got to find ways to get the ball to your playmakers -- especially Willie -- in space. I think we get our wish in 2008 8-)
I'm the mutha-flippin' Rhymenocerous

Stillers.com Team

Re: RBs looked good in the flat

Postby Nel » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:19 pm

Yes, Y-Town Steel. Plus, Ben and TE were well synchronized with some nice completions. This, in addition to hitting the RB's, really opens up the options in comparison with the more conservative Cowher era. With the apparently weak right side of the O-Line we are probably going to see more relatively quick passes to RB and TE due to Ben having less time to throw, but with Santonio keeping the opposing secondary from neglecting their deep coverage. It's nice, and was great to see that Moore can make people miss. His first down reception was very good work after the catch.

Stillers.com Team

Postby trenches » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:24 pm

If ever there was a season to break the Stiller mold to help out the o-line, it's this year. Plus, they have the talent to do it.

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby Guinness » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:59 am

I'd like to agree with you guys and I'm really hopeful this year will be different but remember Arians is the offensive coordinator. StillMill has made the point many times and I concur completely that Arians has no feel for calling a game - he might be capable of drawing up plays during the week but he isn't the guy you want calling the plays on Sunday. My observation watching the Vikes game was that other than the wretched screen passes the passes to the backs appeared to me to be the final read that Ben made after his first couple of reads didn't pan out. This is far different than watching Payton Manning getting the ball out to Joseph Addai as the first option and picking up a clean 9 yards on a first and 10 play. I liked the quick pass to the tight end on first down but in true Arians fashion, it worked once so they never went back to it the rest of the game.

Practice Squad

Postby BeavisFour » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:04 am

I wouldn't bother too much with it in preseason.

If it worked and worked well, in all likelihood, it will work and work well in a regular season game, so why keep running it in preseason? It just gives teams a chance to scout it more.

Although that being said, Arians does have the tendency to go away from what works.

Practice Squad

Postby Y-Town Steel » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:33 pm

StillMill has made the point many times and I concur completely that Arians has no feel for calling a game - he might be capable of drawing up plays during the week but he isn't the guy you want calling the plays on Sunday.

I agree, but think Ben changes that this year. He's not Peyton Manning (.....yet ;) ) but I think he will be given 2 or 3 plays -- pass play, run play, and maybe another pass or run play -- and he'll get to make the call based on what he sees from the D.

I think Arians probably knows he's not the greatest playcaller and he can't wait for Ben to take over a piece of that responsibility. Ben is now undoubtedly the leader of this team and he appears ready to lead. In Ben We Trust!
I'm the mutha-flippin' Rhymenocerous

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby Guinness » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:19 am

I agree that Ben is coming into his own and this gives me hope. I also hope we finally see more no-huddle. The whole offense seems to perform better in the no-huddle.

Return to Stillers Talk